Jackson pickup wiring confusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson pickup wiring confusion?

I’ve recently picked up a J-90c to go into my Charvel model 3 to replace the aftermarket sd. It was wired up Seymour Duncan spec ie: black/hot and green/bare together as opposed to Jackson stock wiring charts that suggest the opposite ie green is hot and black/bare to ground! Does it really matter? What will it sound like if it’s the opposite? I suppose I could just try both and see what it sounds like.

Also interestingly enough when I took the cover off it had no adjustable screws pole pieces just 2 coils with the slugs … anyone come across that and does it make any difference?
    Last edited by Pjc007; 03-30-2023, 01:02 AM.

so you say that both the black, green, and bare are all wired together? or black is used as hot, green is tied to bare (and to ground), and red/white tied together?

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
      so you say that both the black, green, and bare are all wired together? or black is used as hot, green is tied to bare (and to ground), and red/white tied together?
      Not altogether, the later but Jackson wiring specs say the opposite! Does it matter which wire you use as hot? Green or black?
      Last edited by Pjc007; 03-30-2023, 11:06 PM.

Comment

The later USA Jackson Pickups were mostly two rows of slugs to accommodate for the covers, I doubt it has much a difference on tone. I've always used black as hot and grounded green.

Comment

the only thing that will happen if you swap green and black is the phase will invert. if you're playing the humbucker by itself there will be zero audible difference. if you're playing it in combo with other pickups you'll either want one thing or another. it's impossible to say without knowing what the other pickups are. if it sounds weird when you play the humbucker+middle, then you should probably swap the wires. if it sounds fine, you don't need to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SoloistCustom View Post
            The later USA Jackson Pickups were mostly two rows of slugs to accommodate for the covers, I doubt it has much a difference on tone. I've always used black as hot and grounded green.
            Thanks for that

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
              the only thing that will happen if you swap green and black is the phase will invert. if you're playing the humbucker by itself there will be zero audible difference. if you're playing it in combo with other pickups you'll either want one thing or another. it's impossible to say without knowing what the other pickups are. if it sounds weird when you play the humbucker+middle, then you should probably swap the wires. if it sounds fine, you don't need to do anything.
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X