Sneaking stuff by the wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sneaking stuff by the wife

If you have to lie to your wife, there's probably some deeper problems. I wouldn't want to be married to someone I felt I had to lie to. If I can't afford something I don't buy it. My wife knows I love guitars, and she helps me shop for them. I'd love to have 3000 guitars. I could probably afford a lot of nice ones right now. I don't need them and she knows it. I just put in my order for a Moser custom guitar that ain't cheap. My wife supported that purchase 100%. We just don't have a need to lie to each other.

Comment

I'm lucky, I've never needed to sneak purchases past my wife, she supports all of my hobbies. Although she questions my autocross car that takes up space in the garage.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One of my customers once told me (as he was placing an order), "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission."

I always got a chuckle out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">woman always turn into such bitches! just let us play our guitars dammit!
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well then your dealing with the wrong women .. anyone here who has met my wife can tell you she is very grounded and to be honest probably the best women I could have gotten. Case in point she never bats an eyelash at the old phonecall "I have this charvel for sale" ... Her answer is when are we gonna go look at it or when will it be here.

When I bought my harley I beat decisions to death .. Pat can tell ya that .. We walked in and the bike was there at a great price ..I wasn't even looking to buy it .. her response "If you don't put the money down I will"

The flip side ..my father in law loves BMW's (motorcycles). This man is gonna be 66 years old and has raised 3 kids, been to the best of my knowlege a good provider yet his wife say's no he's not buying a new bike ..

He wanted to retire this past year ..she told him no he can't ..they can't afford it .. and yes they could afford it ..the own most if not all of their current home ...

Where my wife came from I'll never know but she treats me well enough to worship the ground she walks on. She loves guitars,Motorcyles (has her own Harley)She isn't materialistic and loves to hang around with my friends etc ... This is probably the best area of my life and have been lucky to be so blessed ...

Bottom line ...don't lie or sneak it and build your marriage on trust ..if all your bills are current and your not hurting for money after being honest ..then she has a control issue and any amount of lying or sneaking wont make things any better for you, only worse ..
        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">agreed; diane's cool as all hell, and very supportive of kev, and from what i've see/heard, it's pretty damn mutual. i've been with my girlie for about a year and a half, and she's very emotionally supportive of me. it's cool, whenever someone asks her what i do for a living, her answer is that he works in an office to pay the bills, but he's really a guitar builder/fixer/web designer. it's cool, for sure.

however, my ex used to go nuclear when new guitars came home. it's not like i used OUR money for any of it; she just didn't understand, i guess.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You have a good one Kev,Diane's very cool,she's a keeper for sure!!Lucysplatter is the same way,never busts my balls about anything!! I think she enjoys a new guitar as much as I do,while I'm at work she even dusts the ones I leave out when I'm not home!!She's beautiful & she cooks her ass off,she's a keeper too!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

They're not guitars, they're an investment that I get play with.

joe...
            www.godwentpunk.com
            www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

This subject is actually a 2 way street for me. My wife supports my GAS habit...to an extent anyway. She has never been "bitchy" about my purchases. She always says how "pretty" the guitars are when they arrive. And she enjoys seeing me get what I want.

I think the reason for that is because a few years back, our daughter was very ill. Hospital bills were pileing up, so I sold my gear...without whining about it. It was a perspective thing. We needed the money, and, Ya-Know...Who cares about gear when your Daughter is sick.

Then a couple years ago I decided to get her a nice necklace for Christmas. I sold my prize PS10 20th Anniversary to fund it. It is a 3 diamond deal that is shaped like a snowman. To this day it is known as her "Iceman Necklace". She appreciated it more because I didn't just give up the money to get it, but I gave up the guitar that meant the most to me...without whining. I think that gesture meant more to her than the gift itself.
              >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Sometimes its easier to NOT have to discuss it. Tmdiamond & me are working out a deal on a guitar. I'm having him ship it to the bar.

Comment

by mayday-

Where my wife came from I'll never know but she treats me well enough to worship the ground she walks on. She loves guitars,Motorcyles (has her own Harley)She isn't materialistic and loves to hang around with my friends etc ... This is probably the best area of my life and have been lucky to be so blessed ...

i'll attest to that, she sat next to me for a spell at lunch and did not flinch. lucy splatter as well. these are good women.
                  now,
                  can you guys imagine how cool my wife is to put up with me? she's a strong woman and i'll love her forever for sticking by me. she got pretty pissed at my guitar buying, but i think it was like 55 in one year or something, on top of the 3-400 a day lamo party habit. gotta give her credit too. alot of it. and she's still around. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

when i think about it, you can't walk through more mud than me and my wife have. i am finding out each day how much i could have lost if i lost her. i'm trying real hard to grow up for her
                    so she can have a solid cat for a husband, instead of nikki sixx-lol
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by makovai:
                      no disappear. just enjoying all th chat. Actually my wife is really cool. She knows that down the road I'll get that RR. But for now I'll enjoy my SL2H. Unlike many of you I have way to many hobbies. I'm heavy into nitro RC cars, in which I have over $5k invested. I have a crew cab silverado that is lifted to the hilt, I have a 600+ hp drag corvette in my garage If anybody want to see it. I have alot of hobbies and she's very understanding. I was really just kidding when I said sneak it by her, and say Ive always had that gee tar [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . We've been married almost 10 yrs and she's put up with alot of my BS. And She knows that down the road I want a RR and she'll let me get it when the time is right. I will say that the best Idea's that you all have said is decide whats the least important to me, sell it and raise the money. That way I'm not spending new money, just trading in old for new.

I did enjoy all your comments though. Thanks for the suggestions
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, I don't know either if you and I won't judge you.

Since you have so many hobbies, and one of them seems to be put on hold (drag machine, which is on sale, and that explains pretty much), you are a pretty busy guy.
                      AFAIK your relation with your wife is pretty damn cold. She's bitching about getting yourself a new guitar. Okay, I love to discuss about future things with my girlfriend, but if she would alway negotiate and be on the opposite side, I would go like this: "My money, my deeds, my hobbies."

Or is she the one that finances your toys?

No one can talk me over without arguments. Playing a guitar doesn't make you a bad person or anything else. As someone stated before, there are many other unmoral things that can happen to wife or husband.

I can't see any reason why shouldn't buying a new guitar. I know my GF, she would buy me tons of them, if she had enough money to do such things.

I don't know, but this screams out that you two need Dr. Phil or something. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Phil: "Say, I don't mind my husband getting new Rhoads."
                      Mrs: "I don't mind my husband getting new Rhoads."
                      Phil: "And when there will be the time of scepticism, just repeat those words."
                      Phil (to Mr.): "And you should stop sneaking your USA Jacksons by the wife."

Comment

Here's another ladies point of view. I currently own 4 guitars. When I met my husband, I had 1...and a Peavey Bandit 112. I now have the 4 guitars and a Crate full stack. I have told him about every guitar I wanted, showed him the pictures, and asked his opinion. He agreed with me on every purchase, and helped me get the funds for them. Now that I have found the "jackson way of life" I am selling a couple. And I must say we don't agree...he knows what i want, but he don't understand how I could sell guitars that are so nice, etc. But he also says..they are yours, sell em if you want to...
                        What I am trying to say, is my husband is way cool..

jb

Comment

The more guitars you have, the easier it gets. At some point, there's so many of them that they won't even have a clue when you bring a new one home. I'm over the 50 count now so when I bring a new one home, the gf doesn't have a clue [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I can't believe I missed this thread. For some reason, my wife hates my guitars, amps, and anything slightly related to guitars. I think it's a jealousy issue, but she swears it isn't. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I have succesfully sneaked things past her before, but there are also times when I have failed. One time, when my collection was at a low point, I only had 3 guitars, and tried to sneak one past her. I had 3 guitars out on stands, and the new one was in a gigbag behind my amp. One day she says to me: "what guitar is in the case there?". I said nonchalantly "Oh that's my something or other. You know, the brown one". I thought that would suffice, because to my wife, unless a guitar is a bright colour, it's brown. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Anyway, it didn't. She pressed the matter, and I was busted. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Since then, I have been busted once when I was somewhat inebriated, and boldly brought out a guitar I had purchased several weeks earlier.

I have also been successful in getting 2 more guitars past her. One is sitting on a stand in plain view, and the other is in a case under the bed.

I also managed to sneak my new (used) Randall head past her no problem. As long as she doesn't see both heads together, I think I'm good.

I just bought a new computer yesterday too, and I know that she's going to notice that one. DOH!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

This is a 2 or 4 year process, but a good way to get more guitars approved by your significant other is to go to college and get your bachelors or masters (MBA is preferrable) and then procure a job with a sizable pay increase. Once this step is completed, you may purchase more guitars. If anything negative is said about these purchases, your reply should be "shut the f up, I'm rich". Then do a cartwheel into your guitar room.

If you want to go the extra mile, get seperate checking accounts.

Comment

Ya... I'll run for president, then when I'm in the whitehouse I'll have a bunch of rooms and can store one guitar in every room, she'll never notice. I'll make sure they match the bedspread and just tell her their art.

Comment

Working...
                                X