Will this help my neckheavy kelly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this help my neckheavy kelly?

I am thinking of moving the left strappoint at three diferent places...

Alternative one may be the best, but that meens drilling. Will this make the guitar sound worse? It may look like Im goin to place it at the neck, that is wrong. It will be placed at the wood under the neckplate.

What will work best. Any efect at all?
    It's not my kelly on this picture by the way..

Re: Will this help my neckheavy kelly?

I think you might find the best solution in moving the other strap peg.

I experimented with this just recently on my Star and found that adjusting the angle of the strap as it goes behind my right arm made the biggest difference in how the guitar was balanced.

Get some duct tape and experiment to find the best spot, then drill away [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've done this and the best place to move the strap button is position 1. The button must be sticking out of the body in the direction of the headstock. This will stop the neck diving. If you want to change the picking position so it doesn't feel like the guitar is way out to your left...take the other pin and move it up the body about 2 inches.

The guitar was MUCH easier to play standing up after this. I don't understand why Jackson never did this right. Crummy design flaw IMO.

Comment

Or #4.
        Put the strap pin behind of the headstock and use a strap like Acoustic guitar
        [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I did actualy think about #4, but I think I will be better off with #1 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ranalli, did you do both the mods to make the neckheavyness go away, or is what I call #3 enough. I actualy like guitars picing position.
          The strap point should be same way as headstock. When it is like not, the guitar eazely falls off when bending over to find a dropped pic. I lost some paint on the guitars tip this way.

I will never buy a neckheavy guitar again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Put a few extra picks in your pocket so you don't have to retrieve one you dropped from the floor.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I adjusted to my Kelly and didn't find it neckheavy any more. In fact, it balances better than my Soloist when standing up. All I do is simply place the right half of the strap OVER the body wing, which presses the guitar against you, and for whatever reason, this cured my neck diving as well.

Comment

Jeez, not this topic again. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Jeez, not this topic again. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] :yep [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  right here dude ..try one of these holes before you go drillin(use a smaller screw than the strap button one though) my KE-2 goes NOWHERE and sits perfect[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

nidhogg,
                    saw this on ebay heres a button/buttons location for the kelly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    he might be on/onto something [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Looks like cow udders. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        nidhogg,
                        saw this on ebay heres a button/buttons location for the kelly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        he might be on/onto something [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like that guy tried everything, and finaly gave up when he found out he could not make the guitar comfortable [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't think there are enough strap buttons. There is clearly enough room for a few more. lol

Comment

Option 1 or Mosh's idea. It's not going to make it sound any different, but it will make it balance better. Wrapping the strap around the rear of the body just looks stupid IMO - the guy in 38 Special had an Explorer and did that - always though it looked dumb.

Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Put a brick on the bottom of the body...that will help :0

Comment

Working...
                              X