cracked mirror finish..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracked mirror finish..??

how do they do that cracked mirror finish? is it really a mirror top or is it just a really good graphic?

Re: cracked mirror finish..??

This is what is on the one at auction now...

"The broken mirror was NOT just placed on top of the body, but rather engraved into it, making the cracked mirror run smoothly with the body’s edges. It has an EMG 60 pickup at the neck, and an EMG 85 pickup at the bridge. It also has black Sperzel locking tuners. May I remind you that this guitar has a real mirror top, and is not made out of cheap acrylic mirror, which gets scratched and scuffed very easily. The cracked mirror top was based off of Dave Mustaine’s (Megadeth) broken mirror Jackson King V."

Sounds pretty cool to me. I was wondering about the durability of such a guitar, especially a Rhoads because of the wings getting slammed into stuff all the time. Does anyone here have one of these yet?

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain:
      The cracked mirror top was based off of Dave Mustaine’s (Megadeth) broken mirror Jackson King V."
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, it's based on Paul Stanleys "Mirrorball Iceman". A guitar commissioned by Stanley back in 1978. Mustain copied his idea....Still pretty cool though.
      >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Mustaine
        >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Here's a link to a re-printed article from "Vintage Guitar" magazine about how the original cracked mirror/mirror ball finish was done on Paul Stanley's Ibanez Iceman: article

While some of the info on that site is suspect, I think the re-printed article should be fairly reliable. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I hope this helps.
          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Cool article, Thanks!

Comment

nevermind
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
              X