Has Joe Satriani ever been spotted with a Jackson or a Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has Joe Satriani ever been spotted with a Jackson or a Charvel

I was rummaging through some old guitar mags while visiting my folks a few months back and came across Satriani interview where he said for the first couple of albums he used a Kramer for any songs that used whammy work because it had a Floyd. Kramer pretty much had a lock on them back in the day.

I can't recall what other guitars he said he used, though it might have been parts guitars. He said he bought the Kramer at a GC "Midnight Madnes sale" in the early 80s. He said he still has it and sometimes pulls it out for session work but it's a real pain to keep in tune nowadays.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I can't believe someone who became as influential as he has, has never been actively pursued by Jackson.
      Hmmmmmmmm go figure
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Ibanez must have a great deal for him that Jackson was in no way willing to meet and most likely wisely so. Jackson should have swooped up Petrucci though when Ibanez pissed him off but they most likley would have not been willing as Ibanez was with his request for a 7 string.
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I guess part of the Ibanez deal was to list Ibanez, Dimarzio, Marshall as being used exclusively for both albums. No mention of Kramer at all, but I do remember the interview about him using a Kramer Pacer, as well as other parts guitars.

Comment

Jackson has never really done the kind of endorsement deals that Ibanez and ESP do--involving lots of cash payments. Doesn't Jackson just give free guitars, or even just good deals on them?

Endorsements like those of Ibanez or ESP are kind of a joke, if you ask me, because you know that (a) the artist doesn't use those exclusively (except on magazine and album covers), and (b) the guitars that the artists get have been significantly tweaked from the ones you and I can get at GC.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
              i friend of mine has Steve Vai' s serial#7 jem. Steve lent it to I think sam ash they had it on display my friend who worked there switched it with HIS jem. he had steve Vai sign it a few years later & he jokingly asked where did you get this, its my guitar. anyway Steve signed it & let him keep the guitar without saying anything about getting it back. pretty cool if you ask me.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">really cool indeed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Harrald

Comment

Where is the Buzz Felten installed?

Is it a special nut or something?

Comment

What magazine was that Joe Satriani interview in? I have spend a few hours going through back issues, and I'm not certain whether it was Guitar World, or Guitar for the Practicing Musician, or maybe Guitar School or Guitar Player, but I am guessing it was the first 2. I was also thinking it was before 1989.

Comment

I honestly don't remember what issue it was in. He's done several interviews thru the years and for a while I had subscriptions to GFTPM, G World, and later G School...wasn't that changed later to Maximum Guitar? Geez, there were freakin enough of em! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I do have a GFTPM from 1988 where both he and Kirk Hammett were on the cover, so it's possible that was the one. I usually don't remember specific issues like this, but this particular issue is the 1st one I bought just after starting to play.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I 'd love to see the jems that Vai gets as compared to what you can actually buy. I've heard that Vai's and Satrianis guitars are still being made outside of Hollywood where the rest are being made in Japan and now Korea. And Yes Petrucci would have been a good pick up for Jackson as well as Greg Howe, one of my favorites, now he has ESP making him a signature model for him. I don't think I've ever played an ESP that impressed yet, and if I'm not mistaken Petrucci went with Musicman?
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Actually, the guitars Vai and Satch use are both Stock models (except from custom paintjobs and prototypes), Vai's EVO is completley stock except for the speedload and the occasional JEM555 or 7VWH neck that is put onto it when the last one has been completley shagged.

Andy!

Comment

YEah he went to Musicman and actually he ahs a great model IMO... It at least is original and has some great features and plays like a dream. I am glad he went there actually. If Ibanez the 7 string leader saw it wasn't a good idea to make a Petrucci 7 then I am glad Jackson didn't it would have been a bad move. Honestly I don't think it is for MM though they had no 7's at all in their line and it gave them something I actually see a lot of those floating around... I doubt another superstrat Jackson or Ibby 7 would have done as well though. Just a thought
                          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

i friend of mine has Steve Vai' s serial#7 jem. Steve lent it to I think sam ash they had it on display my friend who worked there switched it with HIS jem. he had steve Vai sign it a few years later & he jokingly asked where did you get this, its my guitar. anyway Steve signed it & let him keep the guitar without saying anything about getting it back. pretty cool if you ask me.

Comment

The only difference between Vai and Satch's guitars and production guitars is that they have the Buzz Feiten system added, just like anyone can.

Comment

I just read that issue with Kirk Hammett and Satriani, that's not the one. That was the July 1988 issue of GFTPM.

Comment

Working...
                                X