what do you think sounds better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what do you think sounds better?

String-thru hardtails for me. Don't want anything else. However, if I had to use a tremolo, I wouldn't want anything other than a floyd.

Comment

I had a import dean flying V bolt on with string through tune0matic, I dug the sound alright, but so limited to different techniques.

I would have to go with the Orig. floyd, the sound difference is minimal, especially if you find a pickup that suits you, and it opens up a whole world of new sounds.

but it boils down to what you personally like, so everybody has an opinion.
      [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
      nandrew

Comment

Like I always say, for versatility and tone, you can't go wrong with a guitar with strings.

Comment

I prefer string through body type stuff, my tele
          rings loud and long [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have a '89 HM Strat ( Yeah I know, it's even
          pink.. well.. lit says "Rockin' Raspberry" )
          that has a Kahler Spyder in it. I might aswell
          have mounted my strings to a rubber block, this
          guitar sustains for about oh.. 2 seconds, then the
          note dies off.. and no it isn't choking on the
          frets [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Too bad really, because other than that I like
          the guitar. Just too much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperfuzz:
            Like I always say, for versatility and tone, you can't go wrong with a guitar with strings.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now that's a truly astute observation [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Floyds offer no more tonal versatility than anything else. That whammy business is not related to tone, it's just something to do. The greatest benefit is tuning stability, however, once you set it, it's best to leave it there. With a hardtail, vtrem, or TOM, at least you can retune on the spot and not have to adjust anything.

However, the original question was about the actual tone, so I'll have to go with: "It depends on your needs."
            Malcolm Young's tone would definitely not be as rock-solid if he suddenly was given Floyd-only guitars. MAYBE if he had a Strat-style hardtail or blocked v-trem, but I doubt it.
            At the same time, someone like Vai would probably be limited in their compositional style if they were suddenly Floydless.
            Obviously both examples of players could LEARN to work around the change, but we're talking a sudden last-minute change like just before going on stage.

There is no "one best" anything, as has been proven a million times over.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Depends for me on what style of music I'll be playing. For the record, as a tech my LEAST favorite kind of trem to work with is a Bigsby!!
              [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
                nonamemx, do tell.

/Henrik
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well.

1. Loosen the trem spring claw screws in the back cavity, so that the bridge raises up a little. So it looks about like this:

2. Tighten the screws on the top of the tremolo, that hold it on the body. Nice and TIGHT.

Somehow, this setup seems to send more vibrations through the guitar's body. You would think that a vin. trem set up correctly would have better tone, because of the increased contact area. I hypothesize that its because of all the vibrations are transferred to the body at a focused point, that the vibrations have a cleaner transfer and dont slow down the vibrations.

If you do it correctly, it SHOULD work. It worked on my guitar, and I did it on a friend's crappy Squier, and it managed to get much better tone.

BTW, It doesn't raise the action. If it does, then you have let the trem raise too high.

Comment

> To me,a guitar just doesn't sound right without having that huge slab of hardened steel otherwise known as a OFR,unless it's a stopbar/TOM,and those only belong on a Les Paul. Tommy D.
                  "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Vintage trem with five springs pulled up nice and tight so the bridge won't move and sits flat and snug on the face of the guitar, THEN the six screws snugged down, but not enought to lift the back of the baseplate. That's the best set-up for me. Floyds suck tone (I think) and I'm tired of working around the nut and fine tuners.
                    BTW, I don't use a trem at all, but I like the way the guitar sounds with a steel block and the trem springs ringing slightly.

Comment

As almost anything else in life, it depends on who's the one judging... I like both, i won't say one sound better than the other, different, yes.

My two cents. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                      Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I agree with Newc, depends on what sound you are going for. Also your style of playing. I have not seen much difference in tone on either guitar, but then again i take all my floyds and drop them so i can only dive bomb anyway and this way there is more touching the wood and it gives it a little better tone. But basicaly you have to go by your own personal taste, remember the old saying, one mans garbage is another mans treasure.

Comment

Working...
                        X