Need info on Vai's Green Meanie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on Vai's Green Meanie

Ok, was Green Meanie 21 or 22 frets *originally*?
    Was it stamped/branded a "Charvel" body or a "DiMarzio" body?

And to avoid causing a scene like I did when I asked what the first pointyhead was - I have a DiMarzio body that was converted from V-trem to Floyd (no, I don't believe it's Green Meanie). The Floyd posts are fine, the Floyd itself is fine, the neck I put on it is fine. The problem I'm having is that the Floyd will not intonate. I thought it was the neck, since it was made by a small shop (Customwoods on Ebay). I measured the neck, and it is perfect. I put it on another body (Charvel Predator with Factory Floyd setup) with the exact same Floyd (strings and all still attached) and it intonated just fine.
    I put the neck and Floyd back on the Dim'zo body (just pop the springs without loosening the strings) and lo and behold, the Floyd won't go behind the posts. Both bodies are 22 fretters, 25 1/2" scale, and I swapped the neck the same way both times - tuned to pitch, nut locked, pop the springs outta the back and put it on the other body.

Sooo, how this involves Green Meanie, I'm thinking I need a 21 fret neck, because the distance from the end of the neck pocket of the Dim'zo to the center of the Floyd posts is 6 3/4", yet on the Predator it's 6 5/8" - a difference that should be equal to the difference between a 21 and 22 fret neck heel, correct? Or not?
    If that's the case, and GM was a DiMarzio-branded body (whether it was made by Wayne, Grover, or Anderson is not important - if it was made to DiMarzio's specs, they're different), then that's why he had such upper fret access trouble that led to him scalloping the lower horn - the body is too long for a Floyd to intonate.

Also if that's the case, I guess I'll be getting me some green Krylon this weekend [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Need info on Vai\'s Green Meanie

[ QUOTE ]
    a difference that should be equal to the difference between a 21 and 22 fret neck heel, correct? Or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

A 21 and 22 fret neck heel are at the same spot. They are completely interchangeable - the 22nd fret ends up causing a bit of overhang past the neck pocket.

When you put the Floyd in and the neck on, what is the measurement from the nut to the bridge? Do you have a V-trem to set in there and make the same measurement with?
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

No v-trem.
      When the neck and Floyd are on the body and the strings are tuned, it shows that it should be in intonation range (25 1/2" from the rear of the locknut to where the 1st and 2nd saddles pivot). I've got a similar neck on the Black Star body with a Floyd and it shows the same measurement, but the saddles are further back than on the Dim'zo body, and it intonates just fine.
      The 1st and 2nd saddles on the Dim'zo are all the way forward (hanging off the edge of the baseplate, with the intonation set screw in the farthest forward hole).

I know that a standard Fender-spec 22 fret neck is just a 21 fret with an overhang, but were DiMarzio's 21 fret neck specs such that the 21st fret hung over the heel - as I understand they were always looking for an "exclusive" design on their stuff (like the double-cream bobbins), so maybe they spec'd their necks in such a way that Fender could never claim infringement.

Unfortunately, the truss rod adjuster is at the heel, so I can't just grind it down. I'd hafta grind down the edge of the neck pocket, which puts the neck further into the body (there's room before the neck pickup), but that means I'd have to scallop the lower horn to reach the 22nd fret - just like Vai.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

DO IT MATT, JUST GO FOR IT!!!!!! Cap't Krylon would approve,
        & I'm sure Budman can give you a hand as well!
        Dr. Newcenstein is not a Villian he is just misunderstood! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        According To The Prophecy

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah but I REALLY don't wanna do that - yet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, I've tried moving the saddles all the way back and intonating them, moving them forward slightly until they're all the way forward, and none of the strings will intonate at any point in between.

If I didn't know any better I'd say I need an Ibenhad Edge where the pivots are closer to the center of the baseplate, which moves the saddles forward, but then the spring block would be smack against the body - and smack is bad.

Newc

Comment

Hey Matt seriously when we spoke about this if a different neck solution doesn't work I would go with the neck pocket idea. I'm gonna buy an air brush kit myself, & start refinishing guitar bodies again. need to brush up on the skills for a while first [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            According To The Prophecy

Comment

The GM was a Sunburst strat San Dimas production #3733
              http://www.jemsite.com/axes/model/charvel2.htm

Grover Jackson loaned it to Vai. Vai never returned
              it. IT WAS THAT GOOD!!

It was his main axe until Ibanez. It was stolen and
              then found or returned.

Comment

Huh.

Sounds like the trem posts are in the wrong place on the DiMarzio body. Tha's pretty common on retrofitted Floyds. Most folks drill the posts too far back.

Vai's Charvel was always a 22 fretter. All Charvel.

Comment

posts usually are at the 25" mark, is that where they are?

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hmmm....sounds like what would happen if you were trying to put a 25.5 scale neck on a 24.75 scale body. Is the Dimarzio possibly set up for 24.75??
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

that would be an oddball for sure!!!!!
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        that would be an oddball for sure!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it would, but over at the Newcenstein lab anything's possible isn't it?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Sorry Matt, just couldn't resist it brother!
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yeah I always end up with the fukkin freaks - guitars, internet pals, [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And the center of the Floyd posts are at the 25 3/16" mark (actually they're directly between the 3/16" and 1/4" mark, but my tape only does 8ths and 16ths), so that'd be what - 25 7/32", right?.

I have roughly 9/32" between the sustain block and the front of the route underneath. The front of the trem hole was already shaved/cut/Floyded before I got it.

So I gotta dowel the old post holes (wood screw type) and then drill new ones, right?

Newc

Comment

Anyone want to take bets on when we this in a Dr. Newcenstein auction?
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Tim - It was already up - I took it down to address the intonation disorder. I had spent so much time wiring it up (accidentally reversed my lead and ground wires to the output jack and didn't figure it out till waaaaaaay later) and forgot about intonating the trem until I had already listed it. I did plan to put it back up once the problem was fixed, as I had 19 watchers [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but this looks like it's down for the count, even after I get it straight [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X