Questions for the Admins regarding the Classifieds section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions for the Admins regarding the Classifieds section

It would be no work for you if you don't help me out with the project.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey! I know shit about computers! So you just back off there buddy... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I just meant how much work it would be for you or the admins. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

WEll I think on of the problems is that this is the ONLY forum I am on or look at out of , well a bunch, that has this stipulation. No other forum requires you to have a bunch of posts before you sell something.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well maybe the other forums should take from our lead. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Seriously though 50 posts isn't much at all. I got to 50 posts in like my first week here.

Comment

It would be quite a lot of work if I remember a post about the password implementing procedure, which is why I offered my services if need be. But this procedure is more of a plan for if all the other [easier] attempts have been implemented and we still see no improvement. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And yeah, fifty isn't much at all. I must have made at least ten posts today, probably half of which are contained right here in this thread. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
        Asking as a non-programming-type, would it be too difficult to write a script that automatically hid the Classifieds or locked out the Juniors from the CLassifieds?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Idk about this software, but @ HC (where I'm a mod) and at my private forum for my students, which are vBulletin and phpBB, respectively, it's really easy to hide specific forums from various members/groups.

Comment

Originally posted by donovan:
          Thankyou for joining the JFC:
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jersey Fried Chicken?
          Hail yesterday

Comment

personally i like the way things are now. junior members ignore the rules and are mocked. what the fuck could be better than mocking dipshits?

seriously, i think the only thing that's a problem here is that sully hasn't really gotten around to delivering more savage banned ass profiles lately [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim:
              what the fuck could be better than mocking dipshits?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMEN, Brother!

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...392;p=1#000001

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I personally think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill. I check the classifieds daily and I just don't see a huge problem worth getting your BVDs all bunched up over. It seems that the admins have things under control and like someone else said, if they can't read the big red warning, then let them get their medicine.
                "POOP"

Comment

OK i feel stupid here, but what is a junior member compared to a senior?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                    Asking as a non-programming-type, would it be too difficult to write a script that automatically hid the Classifieds or locked out the Juniors from the CLassifieds? Or at least disabled the Post Reply button (so they could only email or PM a seller)?

Newc
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's simple. They have locked YCE from the ones that aren't buyers of the YCE.
                    You can prohibit the access on the basis of the user rank, but it may need an extra coding and programing.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Newc:
                      Asking as a non-programming-type, would it be too difficult to write a script that automatically hid the Classifieds or locked out the Juniors from the CLassifieds? Or at least disabled the Post Reply button (so they could only email or PM a seller)?

Newc
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's simple. They have locked YCE from the ones that aren't buyers of the YCE.
                      You can prohibit the access on the basis of the user rank, but it may need an extra coding and programing.
                      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's easier to lock out a section and allow 30-or so folks access than it is to lock out everyone who has less than 50 posts.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

TEKKY, you are not much into programming and stuff? Well I was and I got an award in programming in html, pascal, c and c++ and other shit, but php is out of my reach. Right now I am reading some php stuff, but I can't quite figure it out, if I don't have the forum source code.

I'll do my best and try to help my fellow JCFers.

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                          It's easier to lock out a section and allow 30-or so folks access than it is to lock out everyone who has less than 50 posts.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly. The YCE forum has a separate password, which is easy to bulk-mail to a small group, or one at a time to a handful of individuals. On the other hand, plugging a script into the Classifieds to read the status of a visitor to determine whether they are Junior or "Full-fledged" Member, and then automatically allow them posting priveledges when they reach 50 posts takes a bit more work.

While the bans and mocking was funny for a while, I'm wondering if we are also missing out on people who might actually be able to contribute to the board in positive ways, and/or who may be able to fill in certain blanks regarding J/C history (like certain serial-numbered guitars that some are looking for to answer a few questions, etc).

The thing about adding the script to automatically detect the Juniors and allow them to post in the Classifieds is this - it may be a bit more work, but you'll only have to do it once to cover all Juniors.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Siggy14:
                            OK i feel stupid here, but what is a junior member compared to a senior?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Less than 50 posts = junior member...

Comment

Newc, phisically it's easier.

Lemme show this on a simple example: it's easier to hold 20 pounds of iron in piece than holding 20 pounds of sand with your bare hand.
                              But if you have a bag to drop the sand in it, is it still so damn hard?

In our case the sand is the code that limits the access on the user rank basis.
                              There are few lines, also, you can limit directly on the name of the user rank (e.g. "JCF Newbie Member" or something like it).

I am really doing my best to dig every data and information about this. If JCF wants that contribution.

Comment

okay, here's the official response:

notp, great ideas, all of which are appreciated. we are looking into a few things, one being upgrading the ubb software, another option is to go to a different format which may or may not support the threads.

all i can say is that it's something that we're looking into. this is NOT the only place that has a "be a member before you start selling stuff" stipulation. while we may lose a few people who may have cool stuff to unload, i'm of the mind that if someone gets bent and leaves the forum over something like that, he's not someone i'd personally want on the board. i've had plenty of people talk to me about the policy, understand/accept it gracefully, and move forward in a positive manner.

that said, i agree, it can be fun to mock those that just can't seem to read, or don't care.

sully
                                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                                Sully Guitars on Google+
                                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X