Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions for the Admins regarding the Classifieds section

Originally posted by Siggy14:
    OK i feel stupid here, but what is a junior member compared to a senior?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">its really misleading it you ask me...junior and senior. you could join today and become a senior member with a bunch of worthless posts that say nothing other than a smiley or a spelling correction....much like this very post [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It does however prevent people coming here to pawn off guitars or do market research if you will. This forum is a cool community and one should stay around and contribute by taking part in discussions and providing help to the less informed.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn, yeah. I think that senior/premium rank should be given by admins, not automatically.

A newbie can post in threads where someone shows his gear. He writes: "Awesome Jacksons man!"

And then he goes with another post: "What's that green thing that looks like a guitar?"

Then he gets the answer and replies: "Oh."

In a couple of minutes he asks: "Is that green thingy USA or import?"

4 posts till now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      And the circle spins ... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Or he simply posts in the "What are you listening to right now?" thread when listening to some sound samples CD. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:

providing help to the less informed .
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Of which I am one. That's why I'm here...

Comment

Nevermind, I went and read this.
          Please be aware that if you are a "Junior" member you are not allowed to post in this forum or your posts will be deleted and you will forfeit your rights to your JCF registration.The classifieds are here for "Active" Full time members only- The JCF Administration

My question was asking, if a Junior member could BUY, but I guess this answers it.

Comment

Here's the code, that should work, but I have no access to the source code, so improvise a bit, admins:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> if ( $user_posts &gt; 50 ) {
            code for the shown/unshown area
            }
            </pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

I don't get it [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I'm really confused as to why all the anymosity towards "new" forum members. Why is there such a fear that "new" members can't be trusted when dealing with through your Classified Ads? Isn't there a certain amount of risk involved when dealing through ANY sort of classified ads in general? As a "newbie" to the forum, I don't know anyone. Does that make ME more subject to getting "burnt" by the classified ads? Probably so ... but there are certain "red flags" to look for OTHER THAN someone just being "new" to the forum. It just sounds VERY bias to me, and to go to the extent of setting up a totally different page for the classifieds of new members is ABSURD (not to mention MUCH more work for the moderators). If you PERSONALLY don't want to deal with a new member, that is YOUR decision. My suggestion to EVERYONE who uses the Classifieds would be to use a little bit of common sense. After all ... dealing with someone listed as a "Senior Member" is NO garauntee that you won't get ripped off.

Maybe someone will start a thread filled with suggestions that would help protect us ALL when dealing through the Classifieds, like asking for references from other forum members they've dealt with, ebay feedback, etc ...

As a "newbie" to the forum, I have to admit ...
              Reading threads like this doesn't make me feel very welcome. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Lemme say I've sat back and watched this thread hoping the silence would allow it to die out. When Sully posted I figured his answer would be sufficient for this thread to die out. Apparently not only has it not died but we have had a sudden surge in newbies violating their terms of service over the last 3 days .. so let me address this as best I can ..

JCF policy is as follows ..

Anyone classified as a "junior member" is not allowed to use the classifieds ..period .. end of story. This policy is not only posted in bold red letters at the top of the classifeds but is written within the "TOS" agreement upon registration. I find it funny how people will agree to the policy without reading it and then claim ignorance when they get their "approval" for registration.... People need to really start paying attention because ignorance is no excuse...This policy is here.. it won't be lessened and any newbie coming in needs to understand the JCF is not here soley to push your sales. With that said let me brief and update you on what is going on with the JCF..

1)The JCF is in process of getting a new license for the UBB threads software. When the license comes through we will migrate our current UBB-Classic board to UBB-threads (obviously when this happens we will have down time)

While I can appreciate people wanting to help out with code or JCF policy regarding the classifieds it does no good until we have a foothold on what we can do with the new software.

2) We will continue to enforce the classfieds under the current policy. When this policy was set forth I made mention Jr members would be 100 posts and below but I set the software limit at 50. Effective July 10th the software will be reset to reflect Jr member status at 100 posts. Further more anyone who is seen artificially inflating their post counts will have their counts reset to zero and warned..

3) We are in process of working out a new contest over the next few months. This means in addition to the JCF upgrade, JCF-02, the JCF Gallery updates and looking at new ways to improve the site, we are enforcing policy in the classifeds.. please instead of beating up on these people publically just drop and admin a mod alert in regards to the post in question. This just helps keep the board running smoother in the long run ...

I understand some people agree and some disgree with policy here. Thats fine it's a free country and I have no issue with that. I do take issue to people coming in this forum and assuming the rules either shouldn't apply to them or the policy is stupid and needs to be changed. My answer is simply that you agreed to the TOS when you joined our community .. grab a chair and a drink and stay a while.. you'll find out that we aren't as bad as you think we are and this forum can actually be fun in the long run...

Thanks
                Kev
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by PRSPlayer:
                  I don't get it [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I'm really confused as to why all the anymosity towards "new" forum members. Why is there such a fear that "new" members can't be trusted when dealing with through your Classified Ads? Isn't there a certain amount of risk involved when dealing through ANY sort of classified ads in general? As a "newbie" to the forum, I don't know anyone. Does that make ME more subject to getting "burnt" by the classified ads? Probably so ... but there are certain "red flags" to look for OTHER THAN someone just being "new" to the forum. It just sounds VERY bias to me, and to go to the extent of setting up a totally different page for the classifieds of new members is ABSURD (not to mention MUCH more work for the moderators). If you PERSONALLY don't want to deal with a new member, that is YOUR decision. My suggestion to EVERYONE who uses the Classifieds would be to use a little bit of common sense. After all ... dealing with someone listed as a "Senior Member" is NO garauntee that you won't get ripped off.

Maybe someone will start a thread filled with suggestions that would help protect us ALL when dealing through the Classifieds, like asking for references from other forum members they've dealt with, ebay feedback, etc ...

As a "newbie" to the forum, I have to admit ...
                  Reading threads like this doesn't make me feel very welcome. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well, you're going from a common sense level, which honestly isn't as common as you'd think, hope, or prefer.

the policy (which is not unique to the jcf) was put in place to mainly weed out those whose sole purpose is to come here and unload crap and spam the board. this is a community first, and the classifieds are here for community members.

as far as trusting junior members go, that's not as much of an issue for me, as i usually don't buy guitars in the classifieds for one reason or another. that said, i'd certainly be more apt to buy a guitar from someone i've known here for a while than someone who just joined, and has only posted in the classifieds.

those that come here to learn, share, and participate in general have nothing to worry about, as the natural process of doing that will help you shed your status pretty quickly. however, i'm not asking everyone who comes here to dedicate their lives to this place.

also, i would like to point out that the board policies are explained in the TOS emails that go out to new members. i know that in general, people just bypass TOS agreements, but we are up front about it. if you come to the board, we do ask that you respect the policies and enjoy your stay.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for the reply Sully.

True, I agreed to the "Terms and Conditions", but I honstly didn't pay much attention to those terms regarding the classifieds because I didn;t come here to sell anything.

Having said that, and having heard you position on the subject, I am now ALL FOR a seperate classified page for "new members".

Is there a way to "lock out" Senior Members? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    (just kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb:
                      My question was asking, if a Junior member could BUY, but I guess this answers it.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've had Junior members buy from me... they've sent me an email or PM about some Classified ads I had. They didn't post in the Classifieds about it, so that was fine. If they send me the money, I send out the item, end of story.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sully, Kev,
                        Well said. There are rules for a reason. This a pulbic form run by privite people. You guys have every right to do this.
                        Scot
                        www.kiddhavok.com
                        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
                          1)The JCF is in process of getting a new license for the UBB threads software. When the license comes through we will migrate our current UBB-Classic board to UBB-threads (obviously when this happens we will have down time)Kev
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kevin: I am not a computer savvy person [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] , what does this mean for the JCF [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Will we all have to re-create our profiles and user numbers or will is be a seamless transition??

Will the format be similar or totally different?

Just a question....I am sure that the JCF will still be the pre-eminent guitar board on the internet [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] .

Thanks.

Comment

Shouldn't affect you in the least.. one of the concerns I had was losing what we have already built up within the board.. I've been assured this wont happen ..
                            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

is there anyway with the forum software to not allow Junior members to post in that section, and when they try it says how to get to post in that section?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja:
                                is there anyway with the forum software to not allow Junior members to post in that section, and when they try it says how to get to post in that section?
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not sure I understand your question ..

Comment

Working...
                                X