Questions for the Admins regarding the Classifieds section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for the Admins regarding the Classifieds section

Jeez! What's with the sudden spike in the number of Junior Members posting in the Classifieds section? We literally had none for the past few weeks/months, indicating that the big bold red warning at the top of the Classifieds section and red Junior Member status under the usernames/avatars were doing a good job. But today, I noticed quite a few Juniors there.

If I may make a suggestion that will be VERY minimal work for the Admins, yet still be highly effective, it would be to put "Classifieds - JCF SENIOR MEMBERS ONLY!!!" or "Classifieds - JCF JUNIOR MEMBERS FORBIDDEN!!!" or something to that effect on the main forums page. Since it's text, it would be pretty easy to add just a few more words to it.

But, keep in mind that if you go with the Senior Member thing, perhaps our silver and gold status (as opposed to red Junior status) would need a slight makeover to include the word "Senior".

Hmm, it's been a long time since I've registered here, so I was wondering if any of you remember if there was an e-mail sent to new members regarding confirmation of their membership at the JCF. If that's alterable, maybe even just a simple warning on there that the new person is a Junior Member would be enough to ward them off.

I dunno... just throwing ideas around.

I think I recall reading something previously about how we could ideally grant silver and gold JCFers (50+ posts) the password to access the Classifieds section, but that it would be a LOT of work. I'm a forum administrator on another message board that uses PHP, and it's pretty easy to lock a forum and make it accessible only to certain members simply by assigning them a password. I don't know if it's that easy here with UBB, but if it is, I would gladly step up and be a temporary moderator or administrator and be responsible ONLY for that one duty - to painstakingly assign all the 50+ post JCFers to their "Senior" status and give them the password to access the Classifieds. It will be a lot of work at first, seeing as how we have so many active posters with 50+ posts, but after tackling them all, it will grind to an almost dead stop except for the Juniors who gradually pass the 50 post mark, and I could then resign from my duties since it would take the real Admins mere seconds to send them the Classifieds password.

Remember, I am just tossing ideas around... not trying to tell you guys how to do your job, as it is enough work as it is already and you are already doing such a great job steering this ship. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Questions for the Admins regarding the Classifieds section

JMO but I think those sound like some pretty good ideas. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] The password idea sounds the best to me for actually ending all this, but I don't know how much work that would be... Great ideas NOTP!

Comment

Originally posted by wulfe13:
      I don't know how much work that would be...
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It would be no work for you if you don't help me out with the project. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

WEll I think on of the problems is that this is the ONLY forum I am on or look at out of , well a bunch, that has this stipulation. No other forum requires you to have a bunch of posts before you sell something. I think most people just don't expect it. I think one thing to do would to include this in the first email people get when they get thier password.
        Thankyou for joining the JFC: Please DO NOT post in the Classified forum untill you have member status ( 50 posts) Thankyou go here to activate your account: etc.

Comment

Originally posted by donovan:
          Thankyou for joining the JFC: Please DO NOT post in the Classified forum untill you have member status ( 50 posts) Thankyou go here to activate your account: etc.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I suggested that above, but not quite as clearly as you put it. Thanks! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

This was the exact reason for my "Two Questions" thread. I've warned a couple at the Kramer site as well...

Comment

Asking as a non-programming-type, would it be too difficult to write a script that automatically hid the Classifieds or locked out the Juniors from the CLassifieds? Or at least disabled the Post Reply button (so they could only email or PM a seller)?

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

As a junior member disabling the "Post Reply" button sounds like the best option. I say that only because there are a lot of cool pictures of members guitars there that I would otherwise be locked out of and miss. I don't post there (or E-Mail or P.M.) but I do like to gawk. I'd hate to have that taken away because of a few people that can't read the large red print.

Comment

WIMPS! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If they can't read or don't care enough to pay attention...the peasants should be mocked and banned immediately. Cast them to the (insert vicious beast and/or beasts here) I say!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hell, I gawked until I finally saw what I was after for the very first time and I was way past the 2000 post mark. I don't know of anybody that's waited THAT long to finally jump on something. With over three thousand posts at the time of this posting and currently at the 9th top poster position, I've STILL only bought one thing from the Classifieds to this day. There might seriously be Junior Members here that have secretly bought more stuff than I have. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

And I'll sell to anyone with the money [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I know in the old version of the UBB software is was fairly limited in what you could limit but I don't really know much at all. I think it's fair to let the Jr. members at least look at the classified. I believe the main goal of restricting posting was to keep people from signing up just to sell crap and then drop out.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                          And I'll sell to anyone with the money [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So where's my DK3/PC1 monstrosity then, beeyotch? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

*ahem* Money talks, [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] walks [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

[Tony Montana] I got de money... you got de stuff? [/Tony Montana] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, e-mail me with the info requested from this post:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...=004645#000002

I hate courier services though. If you're willing to ship by USPS, I'm highly interested... provided you actually have the DK3 body, and pictures! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X