International Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Shipping

I'm working with another JCF member regarding a purchase and the question of import tax was raised. How do I determine if the seller(or me) has to pay additional charges other that shipping to the US.

thanks.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Re: International Shipping

How ironic. I just posted this on another thread:

Good morning everyone. I have a problem. I sold a guitar on Ebay and the high bidder is from Australia. USPS.com gave me a quote for $135.00 to ship there and that's what I quoted the buyer. I go to the post office and the "non-documentation" fee boosts the shipping to $250.00! Now I have to bite the bullet and I don't want to swallow anymore. The guy already got a great deal. The high bidder sent me an email and this is part of it: " I was talking about the purchase I made sometime last year. This US seller only charged me about $135 and it took 2 weeks to get here." Question: Does anyone know what service he's talking about that gave a US seller such a low rate? I've been to Fed Ex ($260) and UPS ($400+)!

Comment

i don't know how it worked out (i can't remember) but i sent a guitar to a forum member last year to france for about 150 through UPS.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

When I've sent guitars and gear international, I always check the "gift" box so that there aren't any import duties. It's worked so far, I last shipped a Hwy. 1 Tele to Finland that way. It does take a long long time though. Make sure you keep every shred of paperwork, receipts and customs forms.

Comment

I will be receiving the shipment. Will we have to pay any duty taxes on the guitar? This is a non EBAY transaction.

joe...
          www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

not sure about that, sorry.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Joe, what country is it coming from and via what carrier? I recently bought an acoustic guitar from Canada and split the shipping costs with the dealer (he said $70, so I paid $35 of that). Guitar arrives no problem, but about 10 days later I get a bill in the mail from UPS Customs House Broker for $21 for UPS fees for filling out customs forms and pushing thru customs. The dealer never told me about that.

Comment

The guitar would be comming from Finland. Not sure on the carrier yet.

I did buy a guitar from a person in Canada and I never got any UPS bill afterwards. Maybe the seller took care of that, or since it was an individual and not a store, he didn't have to.

joe...
                www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

i just shipped a guitar to japan it was around $100 USPS. to get around the tax/tariff say the guitar was originally his & set to you for repair. they cant charge customs on something that was his to begin with.

Comment

USPS is basically the same thing as our postal service here in Finland and they have easily the lowest prices. I've bought a lot of guitars from US and shipping has varied from 50 to 250 USD. We have VAT and customs fees so those have to be taken care of when the guitar hits the country. But I think most
                    states in US don't have such taxes?
                    My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

MountainDog - I had the same experience with a dealer in Canda (in my case it was Songbird Music) who promised via email that I'd incur no additional fees and that if there were any they'd take care of 'em. When I got the $40 bill from UPS for customs brokerage services I printed a copy of Songbird's email, traced my extended middle finger on the front of the UPS invoice, returned both to UPS and wished them luck in their future attempts to collect from the seller.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that you'll be billed by US customs. I got a bill for 60 bucks after importing an axe from Japan.

Comment

$60 from Japan... What did you claim as the value of the guitar.

joe...
                          www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

afaik when shipping to Poland there was a trick as somebody said : mark gift AND select about 50$ of items value (if the buyer agrees/suggests it - no taxes then afaik (you have to check it)

and , if anything goes wrong with the package and you've selected the above option the buyer is screwed - so that's a little bit risky.

Comment

the shipper pays the shipping; the receiver pays the import tax. i sent a guitar to someone on the UK for $90 (includes insurance). he had to pay the customs fee later.

Comment

Working...
                              X