Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackson Bolt on Guitars

You are getting off the point.

You can talk about string energy and wood and anything else but that is getting off my particular point.

Given two guitars with the same wood and basic design - different neck constructions will result in tonal differences. It is an unarguable point. (and don't hit me with the no two guitars sound the same argument - I know there are differences among 2 guitars built exactly alike) .

And the neck of a bolt on design will vibrate more than the neck through design.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

But then again, that leads to the argument of one construction style naturally yielding more or less sustain than the other, which then leads to the question - how many songs are there that require one note or chord to sustain indefinitely after being struck only once?

At that point you realize that the minor (micronal) differences in sustain really don't matter.

There is no "one true tone"; set-neck, neckthrough, bolt-on, whatever - who is to say which is the all-around/universal "best" construction method? No one has been granted that authority as far as I know.

And what global tone coalition decided that the "goal" was to get the guitar resonating as if it was made entirely of one continuous piece of wood, similar to a statue being carved entirely of one piece of marble? When and where did they meet, and who are they?

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

None of this matters! Play what you like period. If you prefer bolt ons play em, if you like set neck, neck though play em. This is like trying to tell someone what pickup is better. It is based on PERSONAL taste and feel. I have all 3 types of guitars and the all serve a differnt purpose. Plus you would have to factor in type of wood, type of fret board etc.

"Given two guitars with the same wood and basic design - different neck constructions will result in tonal differences. It is an unarguable point. (and don't hit me with the no two guitars sound the same argument - I know there are differences among 2 guitars built exactly alike) .

And the neck of a bolt on design will vibrate more than the neck through design. "

That is simply not true. Again too many factors. Are you saying a soild maple one piece neck with alder sides is going to vibrate less the a bolt on version?
        www.kiddhavok.com
        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          global tone coalition

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Nice band name! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

every single guitar sounds different so who cares...

find one you like the sound of and go.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              "Given two guitars with the same wood and basic design - different neck constructions will result in tonal differences. It is an unarguable point. (and don't hit me with the no two guitars sound the same argument - I know there are differences among 2 guitars built exactly alike) .

And the neck of a bolt on design will vibrate more than the neck through design. "

That is simply not true. Again too many factors. Are you saying a soild maple one piece neck with alder sides is going to vibrate less the a bolt on version?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude: There you go putting all those factors in again. I just stated given everything else being the same...

What is you specific logic behind you claim that it is untrue about the vibration of a bolt on neck?

Are you also claiming there is no tonal differences?
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I can't hear the difference between a bolt on and a neck thru, listening to similar guitars using the same woods, pickups, bridge and either flat top or archtop. I agree with T.E. and Newc. I've been playing for 39 years. Maybe I'm just tone deaf? T.E. hit it right on. It's the integrity of the neck joint that allows the flow of harmonics and vibration, thus overall tone.
                I thought the main idea with a bolt-on was how Leo Fender designed the neck pocket and neck butt end. An economical approach. In case of broken headstock, neck breakage, warping, etc., the neck was easily replaced.
                This topic sounds like "What Pickup is Best?"
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The tonal difference between bolt-on and neckthrough construction is much more noticeable with basses than guitars. I've had neckthrough and bolt-on basses (same model - Concert), same body shape (Dinky-style, not that "swept turd" thing), and same pickups (Jackson J150s), and the neckthrough definitely had less highs and mids, whereas the bolt-ons have more punch and less mudd.

[/ QUOTE ]

With Jackson that may be true. I doubt there are less highs, but I would agree that there is a little bit more lower mid range to make it seem that way. I've not experienced this. My SL2T was one of the brightest Jacksons I've ever owned, even compared to all my bolt ons.

Personally I can't tell a difference enough to matter. I've had some guitars with brighter attacks, some with stronger mids, some just booming low end... in both neck-thru AND bolt-on guitars.

This is getting rediculous... Resonance? A guitar resonates... you can't tell the difference in resonation from a set-neck, bolt-on, or neck-thru... the actual difference is so minimal you would need an oscilliscope to note any difference. A guitar will sustain just as well with a floyd rose or a string thru bridge.

The reason I bought a Warwick Thumb Bolt-On as opposed to the neck thru was there was NO noticable difference in tone with the several that I had played, with the same woods, the same pickups and electronics, with the same amps and cabinets, and I saved over $1000. So I paid $1100 (retail $1999) instead of $2100+ (retail $3399). In the end I sold it and got a custom one built because I loved it so much... that's a different story though.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I can't believe I even stopped to read this whole thread. How many times has this been discussed already??
                    I wish someone would record a couple of MP3's, one with a neck-thru, and one with a bolt-on. If mr. "shredmonster" can identify which is which I might be impressed. (then again I might not) [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

ive compared a neck thru & bolton both BCRich ST-3's. both have 25.5" scale the same hardware & are made of the same woods maple necks, alder bodys or wings & RW boards. the bolton had more snappyness to it & slightly more initial attack. the neckthru was alittle smoother sounding. without going thru an amp. thru an amp i doubt anyone could tell the difference. there are also other factors that effect this tho. finish most boltons have much thinner finishes on the necks. this will make the guitar sound brighter & snappier since the finish often deaden the tone. as for resonance thru boltons & neck thrus if made correctly i dont think there is much of a difference. I brought a full maple BCR to a local shop for some work. the tech said its was one of the most resonant guitars, we even let some of the local vintage gibby fender snobs play it. everyone was very surprised how a guitar that weighs a ton & could sound like it did, BTW it wasnt pluged in. the same shop they have a LP historic which was the lightest SOLID LP ive ever touched this thing resonates & sounds like no other LP ive every played. play one note the whole guitar resonates alot. if i had 4G i probably would have bought it on the spot. & no it wasnt plugged in either

Comment

Yep I knew I opened up a can of worms on this one.

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

OK here is another reference for you guys.
                          Gitaawerk.net
                          "Bolt on instruments can be manufactured using a one piece neck and a one piece body. Neck through body instruments can be manufactured using at least three pieces for necks and two other pieces called "wings" for the body.

This results in a three pieces neck and a five pieces body, more stable but less resonant."

There, take that!
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Alrighty then. I want you to construct a guitar from one huge piece of wood, say maple. So the neck/fretboard is maple and body is solid maple too, all from one piece. Keep it properly humidified and stuff to maintain stability, and report back with results of its resonance compared to a maple bolt-on maple body and a maple neckthrough maple body.

This is silly. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] Don't believe everything your read.
                              Warmoth claims they won't warranty a neck that's tung oiled because it doesn't provide enough protection from moisture... another misguided internet myth. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] It actually provides very good moisture protection and doesn't need to be applied as often as you'd think.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hmmm, so you can potentially tung-oil a maple fretboard too. Interesting. Never thought about it before!

Comment

Working...
                                X