No announcement yet.

Help with a Charvel - unknown model.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with a Charvel - unknown model.

Well, it seems I definitely came to the right place for answers! You are all truly masters of your craft. I really appreciate all of the help! I'll have to tell the boss to drop by and check it out.

Dan

Comment

Charvel750 is right. And more to the point, neither the Infinity models (which had a pointy-headstock) or the LS series (which had the gumby-headstock) had a stop-tailpiece like that. And both series had more dinky-like horns, whereas they're skinnier than the ones on this particular guitar. It could be a prototype of somesort.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Ok.. now for the ultimate question.. anyone venture to take a guess at a value for this baby? I need to come up with one for my insurance company (along with an model #).

Dan [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

its cool as hell, thats all i know!

Comment

import, no? with that serial? definitely 90s, and i wouldn't venture to say that it'd be worth a ton. definitely an oddball, tho. also please note that i'm just throwin ideas out, here. i don't think it's us made, tho.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think for value here you always want to do replacement cost on a piece like this. It's not like you can walk into GC or go to Ebay and just find one.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Definitely NOT an Infinity. There was never a production headstock like that for Charvel Japan. The inlay on the headstock is also unique as is the truss rod cover. The body shape is close, but not similar to the LS Charvel series. The Infinity was not in the LS series anyway. And, they only had 22 frets. The serial number indicates a 1992 production date. Must be a one off custom, perhaps an employee made guitar. To me, it most resembles the mid 90's USA Soloist Super Light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input, curious, how did you determine the date? I'm assuming the 92 (backwards in the serial#) is the production year? I'm totally baffled by this one [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ,regardless, it's a sweet axe with an awesome sound! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Next time I change the strings, I'll check the exact model of the pickups.

Dan

Comment

C2 would indicate year, just as C6, C7, C8, and C9 indicate 1996, 97, 98, and 99 for the Charvel neckthrough models.

Anyhoo, that head does look awfully familiar - it's the same head on my JacksonStars NASL, only reversed:

Definitely a limited-run or one-off prototype thingy. It may have been a Japan-only model, or it may have been something they were really working on to compete with the ES335/Ibanez Artist market.

The stopbar/TOM combo really makes me think it was a Japan-only model, since the USA/Euro market models are most-commonly seen with stringthrough/TOM or a Fender-type hardtail unit.
                  Even most of the Japanese-market models today are still stopbar/TOM, with very few stringthrough models.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Maybe it's a Japanese Custom Shop piece...??? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

By the way, I like it!

Comment

Sorry, that should have been 86-89 for the neckthrough Model models, not 96-99 - I'm a dumbass [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hey NewC! You've definitely nailed it, did a seach on your model and managed to find the following http://www.jacksonguitar.org/gall/gall103.html Shows a Charvel QuestStar Deluxe. It's about 99% identical to what I have. The difference seems to be the inlay on the neck and the addition of one toggle switch on the body.

So my guess would now be that this is definitely a Charvel Japan model given the info on the above site. Thanks!!

Dan

Comment

ADMIN EDIT: Please Read Forum Rules About Classified Ads.

Comment

Should also mention, I finally managed to dig up some official specks on this beauty. It's a Charvel Questar;

Designed for Ace Shimizu (Ace Frehley Clone of some sort in Japan)
                              Hard Shell Jackson Case included..
                              Body: Mahogany
                              Neck: Mahogany
                              Neck Scale: 628mm, 24f
                              Fingerboard: Rosewood
                              Machine Heads: Gotoh SG38-01
                              Fret Wire: Rockwell C5/Brinell 171
                              Pickup: Front/C-50N
                              Rear/C-80
                              Control: Two volume, one tone, 3-way toggle
                              Brridge: Gotoh GE-103B-T
                              Tailpiece: Gotoh GE101Z-T
                              Finish: Brown Sun Burst

ADMIN EDIT: Take it to ebay and don't fish for offers here. Please read the forum rules. Thank you.

Comment

ADMIN EDIT: Take it to ebay and don't fish for offers here. Please read the forum rules. Thank you.
                                Sorry about that, my bad. Hadn't been here for some time so, I do appologize, it wasn't my intent to cause a stir, just though it might be worth metioning it... I will refrain from doing so in the future..
                                Last edited by dfiorito; 04-08-2007, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X