Jackson Rhoads necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Rhoads necks

Hi there, I found this site in my grand guitar search. I currently play an SL3 that I like, but am looking to (maybe) purchase something different. As of right now I'm looking at a Rhoads or a 7-string, perhaps the Rhoads 7-string but no tremelo bothers me. Anyway here's my actual question(it is about both import and USA Jacksons so I put it here):

According to the specs on Jackson's website, the RR3 actually has the thinnest neck of any Rhoads guitar (including RR5 and RR1). Can anyone confirm this, either anecdotally or otherwise? And if that's the case, anyone know why? Thanks!

Re: Jackson Rhoads necks

Welcome to the JCF. There is a huge amount of info to learn here and just about any question you ask about Jacksons will yield an answer.
    The cream of the Jackson crop, in the opinion and bank accounts of many of us, are the USA made guitars. Some of the late 80s/early 90s Japan Custom Shop guitars are every bit the equal of a USA Jackson.
    Regarding Rhoads necks, I am pretty sure that the earliest USA Rhoads had pretty thick necks. I think that is because Randy wanted a neck more like a Les Paul. I've had an 89 and a 90 that had middle of the road thickness. I have a very early Rhoads that has a neck that is modeled after a '59 Les Paul. Finally, I have an '85 that has a fairly thin neck, compared to the other 3 at least. I know nothing about the import Rhoads models but it would seem that you could take any 22 fret, bolt-on Jackson neck, and pop it on if you liked the thickness and profile. 7 strings are import only unless you go Custom Shop USA. I haven't heard too many good things about the 7-string import Rhoads but I suppose you could put in some real pickups and have it setup by someone, comlete with a fret job. Someone will come along shortly and give you more info than I can give.
    Again, welcome.

Comment

Thanks, I figured it would have something to do with Randy (it is his guitar after all!). I like thin, flat, necks so I'm thinking about doing something like this:

Get an RR3 body and (re)move the neck pickup to accomodate a 24-fret neck, if I can make it fit without too much work. Hmm it seems I might end up starting a thread in the Tech section now...

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Troy! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X