If RR were alive today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If RR were alive today...

I always thought that he (or maybe it was more Grover) had a good eye for new guitar designs. I'd bet, if given more time to collaborate, they'd have come up with some great stuff. But you're probably right jgcable about jumping to Gibson.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      He was such a fan of the guitar itself. I would guess by now he would have a Doctorate in Music and could be found teaching Music Theory or Music Appreciation at some university. On the side he would probably do some classical guitar clinics and once in a great while break out his Jackson and rip it up for a few lucky students.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I think Randy would be doing too...

Comment

Taylor or Ovation perhaps?

Yes, he was talking about leaving Ozzy before he died. He liked metal, but it wasn't what he wanted to do.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I think he would play a lot of classical. Not sure if he would still be with Jackson though...as they seem to not hold onto endorsees very long before ESP or Ibanez pick them up.

People who dis Yngwie for his looks...I downloaded a video with Rising Force live in 1985...I gotta say...he looks a complete dork around that time...so..he looks way better now even if he's been slightly overweight.

Comment

yeah, randy wanted to study at UCLA around the time of his death...ozzy kept him in, saying that randy could buy UCLA, lol.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              ESP

[/ QUOTE ]

NOT! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think personally he was such a ham(even with QR) that he wouldn't want to stay out of the limelight for long.I would bet even if he would have left Ozzy (which one would think considering his own words) that he would have joined some supergroup in the late 80's...could you imagine Randy playing for Whitesnake???? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] How about Rhoads and Plant? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Since Randy didn't like the blues-based stuff (Ozzy said he didn't like playing the Sabbath stuff because it was too bluesy), I doubt he'd hook up with any other 80's band like Whitesnake or Plant. He said he wanted to do classical, and that's what he'd be doing.

Then, we'd all probably be listening to classical right now and waiting for the next Ramirez catalog to come out so we can see the new Randall Rhoads Custom Concert Cutaway [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Man, wouldn't that be a trip to see popular music change from Shred in the 80's to Classical? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Somehow, I doubt that Randy would have ever done the classical gig exclusively. Even with his raw talent, it would have taken years for him to become a professionally proficient classical guitarist, since that wasn't his background. I suspect he would have rejoined Quiet Riot for what became Metal Health, assuming that Ozzy and Sharon didn't break his kneecaps for leaving them.

Comment

I think that he would be hiding in a small town in the Colorado Rockies, fearing to awnser the phone to hear that Sharon had removed his name and guitar playing from EVERYTHING he's ever done, frozen his assets and sent a hit squad after him for not doing a million dollar "reunion" for a Pepsi ad.

Or maybe he could have saved Ozzy, and by extension popular culture, himself by telling him, as a trusted friend, that his wife was a no good money grubbing b!tch out to destroy all forms of true art,

Comment

I was just talking about this subject with a friend of mine yesterday!

Agree w/ L & mudkicker.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I think he would have went the same route as Alex Skolnick and headed out of the rock/metal scene. I think Randy would have gone the composer route and had a very productive and interesting music career, just not with Ozzy and probably not in lights.

I did hear a rap song just yesterday with samples of the basic structure of "Crazy Train" and of course the "Ay Ay Ay" bit. The intro pickslide is in there, as well. I doubt he would have appreciated that...then again he may have!
                        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

He would have pushed for Jackson to add two more frets to the Jackson RR guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

or all other Jackson guitars would have had small frets as standard.
                            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Or that the Jackson logo be replaced with his bowtie [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

he would probably do classical-ish collaborations with the likes of Al Dimeola, McLaughlin (forgot his first name..John?)...

.... and maybe Yngwie [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
                                (which would be something I would love to be able to see...but Yngwie and Randy probably wouldn't get along too well...)

Comment

Working...
                                X