If RR were alive today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If RR were alive today...

I think he'd have dabbled with the classical, realized he was starting 20 years too late to ever really be a top classical player, and would have come back to hard rock and metal with a new appreciation for the form, and have expanded it with what he learned studying classical. think he and Yngwie could have worked well together because Randy was quiet while Yngwie is... not quiet, and they wopuld have probably gotten along very well, a least to do a one-off record together. I think he would laugh at the godhood he was granted in our universe, if looking at it from the alternate timeline where he lived on.

Or, he might have become a raging cokehead like Vinnie Vincent and faded into obscurity,
    and be remembered as a guy with great potential who tanked rather than a god struck down too young.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

How do you know VV is "raging" ? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        think he and Yngwie could have worked well together because Randy was quiet while Yngwie is... not quiet, and they wopuld have probably gotten along very well,

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno... I can picture Yngwie trampling all over poor Randy and sadly making him his submissive biatch because he's so quiet. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Oh, the humanity. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

How bout this:...He does the classical thing for a couple years. Builds his chops even more (if that's even possible). Then forms his own "Dream Theater-esque" prog band. Gets a real singer (Ozzy just doesnt do anything for me)....Better yet, lets say no singer at all. Then maybe grabs Billie Sheehan & Neal Pert. Just for kicks lets say he gets Rick Wakeman on the keys. Oooohhhh. I smell an epic of an album. And a standing room only tour.
          >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

..and somewhere along the line while playing/studying classical and composing, he would have dumped Jackson and gone with a much more lucrative and well rounded deal, and all you Randy Worshippers would be either talking **** about him right now, or he wouldn't be a blip on your radar screens.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                How do you know VV is "raging" ? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know that he IS, but it's very well established that he WAS. I never said that either would be a raging cokehead forever! :-/
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

not playing metal. maybe not even an electric.

Comment

As I understand, Randy's interest was more in music itself than fame and fortune. He was quoted, IIRC, as saying "I've already got that, now I want to do something different" when the subject of leaving Ozzy and all the fame and fortune behind came up.
                    You don't go into professional Classical music to become rich and famous, you go into it for the music itself.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Or maybe he could have saved Ozzy, and by extension popular culture, himself by telling him, as a trusted friend, that his wife was a no good money grubbing b!tch out to destroy all forms of true art,

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean to tell me the sweet quiet lady we see on the Osbournes and her talk show is just an act? I'm devastated!

Comment

I think that he would quit for classical to escape from Sharon/Ozzy. Wait until they stopped hunting for him and suing him. Then he would come back as a solo musician, but not as a classial one. Why, because, as someone said, he didn't have that classical background and he wouldn't enjoy touring with classical musicians (just like Blackomore didn't become a classical coincert musician because of the sour faces of those guys on stage)
                        He would play an RR and some weird shaped guitar, and would probably be in G3 with Satriani and Vai. And Yngwie would be talking **** about him.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          He would play an RR and some weird shaped guitar, and would probably be in G3 with Satriani and Vai. And Yngwie would be talking **** about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or become as obscure as say Uli Jon Roth. He has virtually disappeared but his 34 fret necked Statovarious? (Skyye guitar)or whatever it is is more known than he is now it seems.

Comment

Building on what some of you have said and adding some stuff of my own. I think he would have gone to school to study classical music and arrangment. He would have gotten a degree but after graduating he would realize how hard it is to get something played by a good orchestra or any orchestra for that matter (I have composer friends, I know).

He would return to rock with his knowledge of arrangment and produce a string of metal/neo-classical/prg albums that would be hailed by musicians but fly below the radar of anyone who does not play. He spends the rest of his career teaching and doing the occasional tour, maybe even an outing on G3.

A couple other predictions. He would have switched endorsments I think by now, maybe to Dean, maybe to ESP but I doubt he would have stayed with the one company this long. His tone would be a lot better, you gotta agree, he's a greeat player but his tone was never stellar.
                            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Maybe by now he'd have been endorsed by 3 other companies, having them make his pantented offset V shaped guitar. Then at NAMM '04 Fender announces a deal to bring him back to Jackson and make the RR Art Series guitars with the pantented pinstripes. This, in turn, delays so many custom-shop orders that Matt and Scott have to go into hiding lest they be attacked by hordes of shredders demanding order status updates. Whew...glad that never happened:-)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Then, we'd all probably be listening to classical right now and waiting for the next Ramirez catalog to come out so we can see the new Randall Rhoads Custom Concert Cutaway [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is brilliant! i wonder if Jenna would have a fondness for the sound of a Ramirez [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X