Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Angelo's stolen Quad X returned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michael Angelo\'s stolen Quad X returned!

Well guys, I am the person who actually bought the guitar from a pawn shop here in my home town of El Paso, Texas. Just in case anybody is wondering I didn't steal it, I was probably still in middle school when it was stolen. I actually still have the receipt from where I purchased it.

When I first saw the guitar at the pawn shop it honestly looked like a piece of s**t. I remember even making that comment to the sales person. I really didn't know what it was. I thought it was homemade. I didn't recognize the brand name on the headstock and the bodies were screwed on to an aluminum plate that was missing about 5 screws. So the bodies were actually just dangling on the plate. I actually thought it was a doubleneck lap steel guitar. Since the bodies were only being held by three screws, the bodies were sitting parallel to each other.

I initailly walked away but curiosity got the best of me. I asked for a second look and noticed that it had Gibson made in the USA neckplates. Then I figured that I must be some kind of Custom Shop piece, so I put it in layway.

After I paid for it and took it home I realized how the guitar bodies were supposed to fit and only one person came into mind, Michael Angelo. I checked out his website and saw a few pics of his guitars, one with the Ritz logo and the Quad neck guitar with Gibson Necks. By then I really thought that my guitar could have been a version of the Quad that had the necks replaced at some time. It looked almost identical but the bodies didn't line up the same on the aluminum plate and my guitar had Ritz guitar necks.

I continued doing some research on the guitar but really couldn't find any info on Ritz guitars, except on Ed Roman's website. I even called up Ed Roman and spoke to him on the phone. All he told me was to send it to him and he would buy it from me, but I really wasn't up for that and I really hadn't heard very many good things about him so continued my search for more info.

From Ed's site I found out that Wayne Charvel was involved with Ritz guitars so I took pictures and sent them to the email listed with Wayne Guitars website. I remember asking for info on the guitar and whether it was built for Michael Angelo and Michael Charvel responded saying only that his father built the guitar but offered no other information other than his father had built many guitars for Angelo.

<font color="red"> Transcript </font>

During some one of my searches I found a transcript of Nitro on Headbangers ball and there he stated that his Quad guitar had been stolen in El Paso, Texas. When I read that I was pretty much floored. I really felt that my guitar could could probably a portion of the Quad guitar, I wan't sure. If this was actually true then it lot of sense to me because the bodies never really aligned to the aluminum plate correctly. I thought maybe this part of the plate was for the other two necks.

My last attempt for information before selling was posting a thread in the original Ezboard JCF forum. I posted pictures of the guitar and Angelo's Quad guitar and asked if anyone thought that there might be a relation between the two or if my guitar might actually be part of the Quad. Everyone pretty much said that it was not the same guitar because they didn't the bodies didn't line up the same way and my guitar had Ritz Necks.

It was then that I put it on ebay and then pulled that auction after 3 days with not even one bid with a starting price of $500. After pulling it I recieved an email from Simon Jones offering to buy it for a few hundred dollars above my starting bid. I really just wanted to get another guitar that I could actually play. So I sold it to jones.

It wasn't until about two months ago that I finally saw a picture of the quad with the Ritz necks on Michael Angelo's website and then I really almost knew that it was the same guitar. I really felt that those pictures were my smoking gun. It was the first time I had seen the quad with Ritz Necks and confirmed all of my assumptions.

Below are the pics that I have from when the guitar was in my posession along with the reciept from the pawn shop. Hope this clears things up.

Notice how the bodies don't really align compared the the original quad.

The only picture I had to work with

Notice how that bodies hang off the plate by about half an inch.

Gibson Neckplate

My original reciept.
    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

wow... this has been such a roller coaster thread... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Keep the drama coming guys~ [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          If that clown M A didn't pony up some serious $$$ for that axe and you're the one who sicced him and/or his lawyers on some kid in England, you're a serious dick.
          If on the other hand the kid was paid off nicely and everyone is happy, [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

A. Pulverizer =

Hey Andy, f**k you! If any of your sh*t gets stolen, I hope nobody steps up to find it for you.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            If that clown M A didn't pony up some serious $$$ for that axe and you're the one who sicced him and/or his lawyers on some kid in England, you're a serious dick.
            If on the other hand the kid was paid off nicely and everyone is happy, [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

A. Pulverizer =

Hey Andy, f**k you! If any of your sh*t gets stolen, I hope nobody steps up to find it for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you think that the Simon kid should be out the $$$ he spent on the guitar???
            Maybe Simon should then go after Keith and he should pay him back the $$$ he paid for it???
            I know Keith will never get his $$$ back from that pawn shop, because they did nothing wrong.
            Like I said, it was probably paid for when stolen and was purchased legally 15 years after it was stolen.
            MAB had no claim to the guitar.
            My guess is that you never even gave it a thought beyond "I'm gonna help my idol".
            Did you even bother to look at it from some kids view???
            Do you think that maybe MAB got ahold of this kid and threatened legal action if it wasn't returned to him???
            Or is he the kind of person that would offer to pay what it's worth to get it back???
            From what I've heard about the man, I'd be inclined to think he'd "screw" a teenaged kid. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            This wasn't about MAB getting a guitar back, it was about you patting your self on the back.
            I'm an ****???
            You're a suckass. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Keith, how much did you initially pay for that pair in the pawnshop?
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

It's in the receipt that I posted $476.29

Comment

Andy, I don't see how you could possibly think that Michael is not entitled to his guitar. As for calling Ron a dick, that was uncalled for - you are attacking Ron when all he did was try and hook someone up with what is rightfully theirs. We're not talking about an American Standard Stratocaster here which is easily replaced, this is a very unique and personal instrument. And on what basis do you say that Michael Batio sent his lawyers after Simon? Do you have proof or are you just making this sh1t up?
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I don't want to keep bumping this Tim.
                    I posted above why MAB has no claim to the guitar.
                    I worked for a company who had their tools stolen.
                    Three months later, the brother of the owner was working next door to a pawn shop. Well, guess where the tools ended up?
                    He started arguing with the guy behind the counter and then he called the cops.
                    When they came out there, they said there was nothing they could do, even though the company name was engraved right on the tools and police reports had been filed.
                    As for proof about the threaten of legal action deal, of course I have no evidence on that.
                    Didn't read this???
                    [ QUOTE ]

100% honesty here. If that clown M A didn't pony up some serious $$$ for that axe and you're the one who sicced him and/or his lawyers on some kid in England, you're a serious dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone please pay close attention to this:
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But the thing is, on MAB's web site, it makes no mention of Ron or Anders giving MAB the info on where the guitar is and makes no mention of him buying back the guitar.
                    Hell, for all I know, the Simon kid could have just showed up and decided to give him the guitar that he blew, what, 800 on???
                    I find that scenario unlikely though. Don't you?
                    So, if the guitar was returned it was either paid for (Which wasn't mentioned on the web site) given to him by Simon, or strong armed from the kid.
                    Given the info we have, which seems most likely to you???
                    Anyway, Ron, I'm sorry I called you a Dick.
                    I'm sure you were trying to do the right thing.
                    I hope the kid was paid for his guitar is the point I'm trying to get across here.
                    I should have sent ron a PM and not posted that in open forum...

Comment

You should have just said, "I hope the kid was paid for his guitar." That would have saved a lot of BS.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Hey, I just realised who the figure in A.Pulveriser's avatar is! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                        What a guy... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Just thought that I would throw this up. During the time that I owned this guitar I had a chance to really look over. I pretty much took the guitar apart to look for any distinguishing marks to try and determine who made, or owned, this guitar. It is too bad that I didn't take any pictures of the guitar's cavities.

First, let me say that I am not trying to take anything away from the sentimental value of this guitar or try to justify its loss or worth, I am just stating an opinion regarding my personal thoughts about this guitar and it is no way related to any reply in this thread.

After looking over the guitar I came to the conclusion that this guitar was pretty much just a gimmick. I know many maybe saying “Duh”, but you would expect any guitar made by such a famous Luthier (Wayne Charvel) for a semi-famous Guitarist (Michael Angelo) to at least meet certain standards. I personally feel that this has to be one of the sloppiest made guitars that I have owned, bar none. I have seen many Korean guitars of better quality. Again, I am not trying to take away anything from the value of this or Michael Angelo, because I know he could play the shit out of this guitar. He is definitely a guitar god.

When I took the guitar apart the first thing I noticed was the routing. Underneath the control cavity plates the routing for much of the wiring look like it had been chiseled by hand. The electronics didn't look any better. It really looked like somebody took pieces of leftover wire, of all different types and gauges, to complete the wiring of the guitars. Some of wiring looked like the thick copper type that is used to wire electricity for homes. The soldering wasn’t any better. While it did the job it didn’t look anywhere near as nice as any guitar that I have owned, with exception of those mutts that I have wired myself, but then again I am no pro.

The pickups were for a six string guitar, but both bodies were 7 string. Now maybe 7 string pickups were not readily available but I am sure that 7 string pickup could be custom made or ordered. The guitar necks did have Kahler 2700 7 string tremolos, the only two that I have ever seen. So I know that somebody pulled a few strings to get those, why not do the same for the pickups. Probably because this guitar was built for aesthetics, and not tone or playability.

I know that many of you will say that the electronics were probably taken out before I owned the guitar, to those people let me just say this. When I held the guitar in my hands I had no doubt that the guitar was pretty much in its original condition. You could tell that whoever owned this guitar didn’t even play guitar. It looked like somebody pretty much just left it sitting in their bedroom allowing it to get dusty and dinged up. A guitarist would have kept this guitar clean and immaculate. Especially knowing that it was a one of a kind type of instrument. Most every guitarist has a level of respect for their instrument of choice. Whoever owned (stole) this never played it and never really took care of it. It just sat and collected dust. I am pretty sure that it still had the original strings from the day that it was stolen.

Let me just say on last thing when I looked at the guitar as a whole the workmanship was sloppy all around. This coupled with the fact that it was unplayed leads me to believe that this guitar left Gibson (or Wayne Charvel’s) shop in this poorly made condition. This guitar was definitely made for one or two songs a night and just well enough for it to be played.

Comment

Prototypes are always sloppy unless they are made for another company as a subcontract. Every prototype I have had, has been sloppy and made by hand. Im sure if it went into production, they would be made much better.......

Comment

Nice job, Ron. Michael Angelo f'in smokes anyone on this or any other planet.

Metal!

Comment

Lets not get carried away there. He smokes everyone on this planet, but he cant smoke some of those dudes on Terrakyia........

Comment

Working...
                                X