No announcement yet.

Smallest Jackson control cavity ever?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smallest Jackson control cavity ever?!?

thanks for the info deathdaily [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Is it a trem or a Kahler fixed bridge?

Comment

That bridge is identical to the Kahler Pro except that it's stud mounted. The first Collen was built with this trem. Your guitar may have been owned by Brooks (on this Forum) as it looks identical to the one he had some time back. I love the extra frets on that one, very cool.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This Rhoads wins... look at the tiny round cavity for the volume control... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

And this is the control cavity for my KE3... small enough that the damn 9V battery wouldn't quite fit in there without bulging the plastic cavity plate! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Interesting pics, NOTP. Did that Kelly come stock without a neck plate? Are the neck screws mounted into ferrules/bushings, like an Ibanez, or are they screwed directly into the body wood? I can't tell for sure from the pic, since it's black. Thanks.

Comment

I believe KE3s came without the neckplate so that the strap pin can go there, exactly in the place that drives JCFers to believe that Kellys have terrible balance. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The serial number consequently went on the back of the headstock, instead of on the neckplate or after the last fret.

Damn, I can't remember whether there were screw bushings (that sounds so dirty for some reason [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) or not. I guess I would have had to take off the neck to see. I don't own the guitar any longer and the JCFer who bought the guitar from me hasn't posted on the JCF in quite a few months. If he ever shows up again, I'll bet he can say for sure, since I remember him mentioning he was going to have the guitar refinished, so maybe the neck would be removed for that project.

Comment

Quite a few Kellies came with no neckplate like that. My old Kelly XLR and RacerX's Kelly XL were like that. I believe it was pretty much like the way Ibanez does it. I believe the Scott Ian JJ models didn't have neckplates either (the ones that were bolt-ons, of course).
                Now I can't remember if my Kelly had an electronics cavity cover like that or not. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] It probably did since it was only 1 volume and 3-way toggle switch. I do remember that both that and the trem cavity cover were made out of metal, though, which was very cool.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Gets me wondering, is the plural of Kelly "Kellys" or "Kellies"? Looks ridiculous both ways, I know... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I just stick the S on the end like I do for "turkeys" which isn't spelled "turkies". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thankfully my old KE3's control cavity plate was plastic instead of metal, or else the 9V battery wouldn't properly go in there to power the EMGs... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I kinda don't like the brushed metal that I see on the Jacksons I've seen and I find that it has the potential to get scratched way easier than plastic.

Comment

my kelly std (ser 000307 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) has also no neckplate
                    and i found out that only neckthrough kellys are neckheavy
                    all my bolt on kellys are nicely balanced with the front-strap-button located as shown above (with plate you have to go through the plate like on old charvies)
                    but to come back to the thread:
                    i love small cavities, nothing to laugh about
                    my CS order will have a "LP toggle style cav" for the one vol layout too, that´s for sure [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    andy

Comment

I think the plural for it is just like Deer, there is a deer in the woods. There are ten Deer in the woods.

That Phil Collen is sweet.

Comment

Yeah, Brooks owned that PC archtop before me. I've been hunting this guitar for about three or four years. I lost out on it on E-bay about three times. I wanted this one so bad, because the number of Kahler-equipped Collins can be counted on one hand, and there are only two of them with 29-fret necks. Phil Collen owns the other one. According to Brooks, it was an unfinished prototype for the longest time (much the same as the third unfinished Rhoads that Rob Lane bought from Grover), and was probably finished off by a Custom Shop employee.

3333: I really dig this guitar, but there were a few things to get used to. First, with 29 frets, the neck joins the body at a different place. This shifts the bridge closer to the nut, making the neck a little longer. For the first few days or so, I kept trying to play things a fret or two off, palm muting at the microtuners. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] The other quirk is the neck profile. It is a D-shape, not a C-shape, so it feels a bit more Les Paul like. It also weighs in like a Les Paul. The body is thick, especially at the top of the arch, and that adds up to a lot of mass with a maple neck and all that alder.

The guitar has a tonal character all it's own. All the fat chunk of a Les Paul, but without the excessive midrange honk. Chords sound huge, and single-note lines are smooth, round, and well defined. Cleans are thick with mountains of sustain, and the neck position is the definition of fat lead tone. The only bummer is the slant bidge pickup makes it difficult to get those Zack/Dimebag style pinch harmonics--probably the reason it is straight on the production model.

Comment

I think I'm gonna win this one. Let's see if you can spot
                          which routes are dings and which one is the control cavity... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

is that an XTRR?
                            "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Not really but it's most likely the first dinky rhoads ever.
                              You can find all info about that guitar here:
                              http://ca.regionline.fi/unitar/thunderhead
                              My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X