Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'89? Charvel Jackson, what model, and how much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89? Charvel Jackson, what model, and how much?

Posted over at <font color="blue">musicianforums.com</font> and was referred here :

A few month back I started thinking about getting another guitar to replace my old crappy strat copy (encore, it was my first guitar).. Chris at work said he hadn't played his guitar in years and would let me borrow it so he brought it into work and after just a few minutes of playing I loved it. Very heavy body, fast neck, and a floyd rose bridge, just what I wanted.

So then I got my new amp, Line6 Spider II 30 (got it delivered to work) and played some through the amp on the various settings and I love the tone I get from it on all channels... I then borrowed the guitar, I was gonna buy it off him but my boss asked if I was gonna buy it.. then he said he'd "pay" (probably sorted out some deal with Chris) for it as like a christmas bonus..

So now I have the guitar/amp but I'd like to know a bit more about the guitar, and how much it would've cost if I was gonna buy it from Chris.

I've looked around a number of Jackson/Charvel sites and I still don't know what year it was made, or even what model it is.

There's not much writing on it:
    "Charvel" on the black pointed headstock
    "Jackson" stamped on the tuning pegs, and pickups
    Bridge has the text "Charvel", "Made in Germany By Schaller","Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents"
    and the neck-plate : "Charvel by Jackson Charvel, PO Box 2344, Fort Worth, TX76113, U.S.A"
    number : '334752'

From <font color="blue">this chart</font> I found I think it might have been made '89/'90, but I still have no idea how much it'd be worth.

Anyone just got a rough idea how much you think it'd be worth, or even what model it is? I'm guessing you Jackson/Charvel fans must know from the pickup/neck configuration.

Here's a few pics :

Re: \'89? Charvel Jackson, what model, and how much?

The guitar looks in very good shape for the age.
    I think the guitar is from very early 90's.
    These with solid colors will sell for around $300-400.
    I am sure other members will give you more details about the guitar.

Comment

Hey Bytrix, welcome!
      You have a Charvel 375, it's referred to as a "toothpaste" Charvel (because the logo changed around '88). Made between '89 - '91. Even though your neckplate refers to a Texas USA address, your guitar was made in Japan, however it is still considered a quality piece. Grover Jackson had travelled to Japan personally in the mid 80s to set up the C/J factory there. The trem is a JT590 Schaller licensed Floyd, also a very good trem. The 375 was kind of the mid-line Charvel superstrat model (the 475 had shark fin inlays) and yours has the crackle graphic which was actually quite common. As far as value, well it looks in OK shape...that fretboard could use some oiling...is there a bit of rust on the trem parts? Does it come with a hard case? Maybe between $200 - 275 in the US; have no idea in the UK (usually C/J are a bit more over there). Hope this helps, and stick around!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah there's no damage at all, just the white 'Jackson' on the neck pickup has mostly worn off and if you look close at the front you can see alot of scratches but apart from that it's great [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: \'89? Charvel Jackson, what model, and how much

RacerX beat me to all the info I had typed out and was just about to hit SUBMIT when I refreshed the page and saw his reply. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Hmm, leads me to wonder, do only the JACKSON Schaller trems have the JT590 model designation, or can the Charvel Schaller trems like the one picture above also have the JT590 designation?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            RacerX beat me to all the info I had typed out and was just about to hit SUBMIT when I refreshed the page and saw his reply. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Hee hee hee! Just call me Quick Draw, Slowpoke!

Comment

Cool thanks for the info. It does have a case but Chris still has it, I'll be getting it when I go back to work this week.

Chris thought it was a USA made, don't think I'll tell him it's not [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] He just made a big fuss about buying a USA made strat.

Does it make much difference to tone if a guitar is heavy or light? This one is very heavy compared to the cheap-strat copy I had before, and it does have a different sound but I don't know if the wood/weight makes any difference.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Chris thought it was a USA made, don't think I'll tell him it's not [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] He just made a big fuss about buying a USA made strat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you should tell him, especially if you're buying it from him! [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Here's the HC page, take with a grain of salt:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...Deluxe-01.html

Comment

Well I was gonna buy it, but my boss sorted it out so I didn't have to [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] So I'm happy no matter where it was made or what it costs, I love the sound and I'm learning so much more new stuff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

This one is very heavy compared to the cheap-strat copy I had before, and it does have a different sound but I don't know if the wood/weight makes any difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

the guitar is made of poplar i guess, because for basswood it is too heavey. i own the same guitar and mine is heavy too.
                    mine has much bass and not so much mids, a really fat tone, i think yours too.
                    very nice guitar! mine is build in 1991 and has the serialnumber: 341569, so i think yours could be a 1990.
                    i would never sell it, it is a very nice guitar with great tone and high-quality hardware. not to compare with the actual jackson models.

Comment

Chris said he can't seem to find his case [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I've looked around and I can't seem to find any cases online that would look like they'd fit this, guess a strat case would be about the same shape, but I'm not sure about the headstock which points backwards, would probably lift the neck from the padding in the case.

Anyone from the UK or Europe know where I could buy a decent hard case that would fit this guitar ?

Comment

a standard SKB strat case will fit it. As for the value, a local GC has the same exact guitar for $400 in real nice shape. Take into account the condition of yours and GC's habit of overpricing used gear and I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 300, give or take a few bucks.

Comment

Buy one off ebay and have it sent to you. It'll be a lot cheaper than that. Probably in the neighborhood of $125-$175 with shipping.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X