Archtops...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archtops...

So I guess this is the right forum for this question. Maybe I am totally ignorant of something, but I don't understand what the big deal is about an archtop guitar. What is it that makes an archtop so much more desireable than a flat top?

I recently played an SLATQsomethingorother in a store and it didn't feel any different than a normal soloist except for it being a string-thru. Maybe it's a weird technique thing? I don't really touch the top of the guitar when I play so it felt the same to me, but perhaps most people do? I dunno, I'm rambling now. Let's hear some opinions

Re: Archtops...

The body is slightly thicker so it gives fuller sound IMO.
    Much more desireable?
    I am not sure but It would be the same question why some people prefer Les Pauls over flat body guitars.
    It apeals to many people, that is for sure.
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't see the big deal either. I like flat tops.

Comment

I personally think archtops look a little classier. I think the older you get, the more you like them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I can't tell you why I prefer them. I just do. I guess it's a Les Paul thing.
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

An archtop can be very very sexy.

The difference in tone is rather subjective, but present imho.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

*waits for Archtop to respond* [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've always played flat tops until I bought my first DKMG. I've taken to the archtop much better. For me it just has a better feel to it. I haven't really noticed a major tone difference though.
                Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

I just like the way they look.
                  Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

I never really thought about the tone difference. I have always thought that arch tops look cool. Oddly enough the only arch top I own is a les paul.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I can't tell you why I prefer them. I just do. I guess it's a Les Paul thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I personally think archtops look a little classier. I think the older you get, the more you like them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- E.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Well I'm just 21 years old and own a Soloist Archtop Professional and a DKMGT... I've always really liked the look of them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        But maybe I'll like them even more when I get older! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

not only do i like the look of archtops, but with the way i sometimes strum with my wrist on the top/behind the bridge, i like the strings sitting away from the body a bit more, since the top is well, arched back.

the arch where the strings are up top and the body's farther back, is nicer for me to play on.

then again i haven't played an archtop in awhile. pauls and prs', and all that jazz is a bit too expensive for me, lol. but i like the general feel and the way i can strum.

Comment

I'm an old 36 and have never liked them. I guess it's the way the knobs look kinda sunk in or something ... But, I will contradict myself and say the DKMGT is a pretty nice looking guitar.

Comment

While I do like the SLATQH (got a couple of them myself and they sound great!) I still prefer my Rhoads/Soloist/Kelly/King V. I don't know about them being classier as its hard to beat a white or black Rhoads with gold hardware as far as class goes but thats a subjective thing. My SLATQHs both sound different than the rest but I think thats more due to the Mahogany construction as opposed to Alder rather than the actual shape. Its all Jackson therefore its all good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rudy
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X