Archtops...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Archtops...

I'm 26 and I love archtops. But I love flat tops also. I really have no preference between the two. There are some in both category that I love and hate. But I think it really is a matter of personal preference. Not a lot of guys are as easy going as I am. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree with Seventh Avenged, they are more comfortable for me to play. There isn't a "different" sound to them (at least I haven't noticed one). Purely a comfort preference for me!

Comment

'Sup fellas! I haven't been around much in the last several months. Figured I'd poke my head in
        and see how things were going. And BAM, first thread I see, "Archtops..."!! Cool.

"So I guess this is the right forum for this question. Maybe I am totally ignorant of something,
        but I don't understand what the big deal is about an archtop guitar. What is it that makes an
        archtop so much more desireable than a flat top?I recently played an SLATQsomethingorother
        in a store and it didn't feel any different than a normal soloist except for it being a string-thru.
        Maybe it's a weird technique thing? I don't really touch the top of the guitar when I play so it felt
        the same to me, but perhaps most people do? I dunno, I'm rambling now. Let's hear some opinions"

Archtops kick ass. Soloists kick ass, too. Overall, one isn't inherently better than the other.
        It's just a matter of personal preference. Just because you can't tell a difference when you play
        one or the other doesn't mean you are missing something. You just have a lighter touch when
        playing. I don't. I play aggresively. I usually grip the shit out of the neck when I play, and hammer
        away on the strings. A Les Paul is good for me, the way I play. A Dinky Strat is not. Any bolt-on I play
        will be out of tune in five minutes.

Now I love Les Pauls, but for the longest time I found the body to be most uncomfortable to play.
        The Strat shape is just infinately more comfortable, for me. And the original Archtops were like a Strat
        shaped LP. Nice fat body. First rate craftsmanship. And best of all, available without the goddam tremolo.
        (I love Jackson, but I hate trems. And back then everything had trems, just about.) So I have always had
        a thing for these guitars. What makes them desireable is the fact that Jackson only made 180 of them,
        and a good number of these were not string-thrus.

The current SLAT model is an equally kick ass guitar, but not exactly the same as the originals.
        They are a good 1/4" thinner than the originals, and the tops have a different carve to it. Also, no binding
        on the body. I was still happy to see them, at least Jackson was trying. But they aren't like the originals.
        (And don't get me started on the pickups on the early SLATs. P-90s on an Archtop?? WTF??)
        Also, the current SLATs aren't exactly desireable since you can call Matt at any time and order one.
        But if you are looking for a used one, then it might be harder since few people are willing to part with
        there's.

Some people are content with something like a simple black Soloist. While others, like me, prefer
        something with a bit more flair and can appreciate the extra time and quality of craftsmanship that went
        into the Archtops and SLATs. (Don't get me wrong, I've got a thing for simple black Soloists, too. hehehe....)

For Xeno:

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
          very nice ace Archtop!

[ QUOTE ]
          I agree with Seventh Avenged, they are more comfortable for me to play.

[/ QUOTE ]
          me too!

i love my Les Paul, my Wolfgang Std. and of course my AT Pro shown in this picture:

a string-thru AT (Pro) is what i´m looking for all the time to satisfy my desire.

Comment

I actually prefer archtops to flat tops, basically I have a more relaxed wrist angle attack on the strings. With the flat top guitar, I feel I have to "dig" for the strings (straight wrist). It's very minor since I have both types. The Stratocaster for example has the top bevel, while the Soloist as the square edge. I can adjust for both, but the archtop is my favorite.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Beautiful archtop pics! Gotta love those curves! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Archtop...man I will NEVER get sick of seeing pics of that axe!! Beautiful! The abalone just MAKES that axe!

- Joel
                RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                RIP Dime

Comment

Archtop, what color is that, exactly? I looked through the Jackson Custom Shop color list. Is it "Amber Sunburst"? It looks like it, but I've seen other (non-Custom Shop) Jacksons that were described as being Amber Sunburst, and they looked more washed out. I love that Hi-Pro glow!

Comment

That's a Custom Shop Archtop so it probably isn't shown in the catalog...
                    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                    RIP Dime

Comment

The finish is Solar... The pics don't do that guitar justice. It is sooooo beautiful in person. That piece of quilted maple is like an inch thick and was the most beautiful Jackson I've ever seen or owned. Craftsmanship on that guitar was meticulous... Too bad the neck was so thick, otherwise I would have kept her. I would have needed a good .250" shaved off just to feel comfortable. Oh, it was without a doubt, the thickest guitar neck I've felt. Very close to an accoustic guitar, and much thicker than any LP I've ever played.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I love my archtop pro/stringthru!
                        Imo archtops are like girls with big tits! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Imo archtops are like girls with big tits! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

Yeah, this one was a special one off. It is different from any other Archtop or SLAT Jackson ever made.
                          It is just as thick as the originals, but the top is carved similar to a SLAT. The neck is thick, but nowhere
                          near as thick as the JCF01 Rhoads. My favorite feature is the short scale. It's the only Archtop I've seen
                          that was 24.75". The only thing I don't dig are the skinny frets. Someday they will be replaced.

But the best thing about the guitar is the back, flamed Korina!!

Comment

Ah, Solar. Cool. Thanks.

Wow, the back is flamed Korina? I love it. Is the neck flamed Korina, too? It appears to match perfectly. I LOVE the heel contour, BTW.

Comment

Archtops are just sexy as hell!!! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Flat tops are cool, but I prefer the look and feel of an archtop.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                And don't get me started on the pickups on the early SLATs. P-90s on an Archtop?? WTF??

[/ QUOTE ]
                                P-90s and minibuckers kick ass, especially on a Les Paul. I think they looked really cool on the SLATs, also. The sound of those pups is also great, and good for metal, but could use an OD pedal for a little more gain. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X