No announcement yet.

How did the love affair start for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did the love affair start for you?

I have owned only Gibsons from '79 up until about maybe 6 years ago. Jacksons looked cool but no one had them in stock and I never saw one up close in person. My friend found a used Rhoads at Sam Ash in Paramus NJ. He bought it and the first time I played it, it was all over for me. I found my first RR Custom on ebay and haven't looked back since. I still have 4 Gibsons that I love, but also have 7 Jacksons I love just as much.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I always loved Randy's Vs with Ozzy. I didn't become hooked until I tried an early 90s Eerie Dess USA neckthru soloist. I had just sold my PRS standard to save up cash for my Honeymoon, and I went looking for a replacement axe after we got back. I remember playing the Soloist through a Marshall Stereo Chorus 2x12 combo...and that was it! (Jackson and Marshall-A match made in Heaven.)My wife saw I loved it and bought behind my back and gave it to me for Christmas as a surprize. Now if I could just get a present like that every Christmas!

Comment

Well, it's like this:

When I was a youngster growing up in west Texas, every kid that was smart enough to pour piss out of a boot knew that if you wanted to rule the world as a rock and roll deity, you had to have a USA Jackson. I don't know when or how we came to that realization, but we all did. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Of course, being kids, none of us could afford them, and our middle class two-income parents balked at the idea of spending that much money on a guitar for a kid. I ended up buying a Telecaster, because it was the only guitar I could find that didn't have a trem, and I thought it looked damn cool, even if my friends didn't think so. My brother liked trems, so he went with a GTX with a terrible floyd knock-off and a snakeskin graphic. But still, we dreamt of Jacksons. A few years later, we were a few years older, and we both started teaching at the local music store, which happened to be a Jackson/Charvel dealer. When my brother finally paid off his layaway and brought home that Eerie-dess Fusion Pro he didn't stop grinning for a year. He still has it. I never got my Jackson, by that time, I was not digging the necks at all, and it broke my heart because I still wanted one. (But I wasn't that heartbroken, because I still couldn't find any that were hardtails.) Then one day, it came in! A Charvel LSX III, in see through blue, with a wilkinson hard tail string-through bridge. I bought it on the spot. I loved it for years. Then one day, for a reason I can't remember, I sold it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I didn't play another J/C guitar for ten years, but recently, I came across a journeyman, and a standard, at the local GC here in Cleveland. I loved them both, and the price was beyond right, so I bout 'em.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jake

Comment

For me it was seeing a Kiss concert on MTV in 1984 ( the Animalize tour ). Bruce Kulick was using Charvels and I fell in love with the headstocks.

Comment

when the ESP forumites came over in 2003 or so and started some crazy shite-storm with you guys, and i came over to apologize and hope ya'll didn't hate All of us.

i returned later that year, left that weird-arse forum, and became addicted to this one, and the suh-weet arse guitars you guys were poppin' pics of! so you guys were/are my jackson heroes!

(no jackson heroes at the time. i was into the Ibanez DT555-era Phil Collen. and all the punkers and Steve Clark had les pauls.)

Comment

For Jacksons, it was Randy Rhoads all the way. I just had to have an RR and got my '84 Student in '87 (traded a Charvel M6 - I finally found someone willing to let it go "cheap").

For Charvels it was Warren (I just never had the money or the luck to find an S-Head back then). I did own an HSS '85 pointy for a while, but wanted neck through and traded for the M6 (which became the RR) - I miss the pointy now, but I will never sell the RR and I did not have the money back then to order what I wanted [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Jeff Beck in a Rod Stewart video playing a pink Soloist,and Gary Moore....and Steve Vai's orange "Eye" guitar

Comment

Two words/name: Dave Mustaine

Comment

back in the mid to late 80s, i loved the cool looking grafix on phil collen´s, dan spitz´s and the "NOT" jackson of scott ian. that was the reason i wanted a jackson/charvel.
                    my 1st guitar was a charvel 375DLX with desert crackle finish bought in 1991 and i still have it. the next was a black dinky reverse, cool looking too and it has a bit of kirk hammett feeling. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    than there was a time i played other guitars like ibz and so on, but since one year i´m infected by the jackson / charvel virus through this board again!
                    but the main reason still is phil collen of def leppard.

Comment

Thanks -- great stories -- they make me feel like I'm 21 again

Comment

Really? They're making me feel old! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

I AM 21. What does that make me? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Dad ordered a usa strat in '89, it became the guitar I would learn on. I think it was around that time or earlier, I had been going into the music shop with him and I can distinctly remember drooling on the white jacksons they had there! They were always expensive and always the coolest looking things in there.
                            Fast forward to xmas '97. He had sold the strat and some other gear and worked a whole heap of overtime to get my sis and I kickass presents. He looked into getting me a dime since I was (still am) dimemad at that time, but they were a little pricey. Then he seen an ad for Jackson DR3's on the back of a magazine and said 'yep!'. I got the gravure green, setup in C# with ernie ball 10-52's. Hasnt been changed since, and is still the most played guitar I have. I have converted quite a few to jackson with this guitar!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I AM 21. What does that make me? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

half my age + 2 [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
                              ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

One word: Randy.

To elaborate - I first picked up a guitar in '83 then after saving up for a while in the summer of '85 I splurged on a Marshall JCM 800 & a Jackson RR Custom. After calling all over the midwest looking for one I wound up buying RR 1441 from ProFound Sound in Andover KS and it's with me to this day.
                                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
                                X