Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is the Jackson J-90c or Chavel J-90c?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is the Jackson J-90c or Chavel J-90c?

Hi people just wanted to ask How is the Jackson J-90c Or the CHarvel J-90c? I think it is the same pcikup but just the name. How is this pickup? I need a pickupf or extreme metal. I play stuff like MAchine Head, Unearth, Arch Enemy, Metallica, Chimaira MOSTLY Drop tuning songs so how is this pickup? I will be tuning in drop C.

THanks!

Re: How is the Jackson J-90c or Chavel J-90c?

This is just my opnion, but I had a few of them, and I didn't like them. They weren't a very high output pickup, and I wouldn't recommend them for rock or metal

Comment

I really like the J-90c in a few CHarvels/Jacksons, and even in a super strat import. I completely disagree with Bumblebee about them not being very high-output. If you want more output from a passive pickup, there are only a few choices, namely the Dimarzio X2N, and Duncan Invader.

Comment

Hey, BBee, the J-90 isn't recommeneded for rock or metal, huh? Do you realize that Jackson/Charvel used that pickup more commonly than any other throughout the late 80's and into the 90's? If memory serves correctly, that time period was the epitome of rock and metal, and hmmmm....C/J was the leading producer of rock and metal guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

My '88 King came with a J90c, I'm real happy with it. Big and warm through my JCM800!

Adrian
          All hail the 'King'
          R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

I think they're killer pickups myself.

Comment

some of the differing opinions here might be caused by confusing the J90 with the J90c; they're different pickups. I had a J90 in a soloist and it was fairly low output, PAF sorta sounding, I've been told the J90c is much higher output. (I've never heard a J90c in person, maybe the 'c' is to designate that it's a ceramic magnet? (higher output))

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                (I've never heard a J90c in person, maybe the 'c' is to designate that it's a ceramic magnet? (higher output))

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I understand (C standing for ceramic). The J-90C I had measured a 16K resistance which is quite high!
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Hey, BBee, the J-90 isn't recommeneded for rock or metal, huh? Do you realize that Jackson/Charvel used that pickup more commonly than any other throughout the late 80's and into the 90's? If memory serves correctly, that time period was the epitome of rock and metal, and hmmmm....C/J was the leading producer of rock and metal guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Ah well, what can I tell ya? I didn't like 'em [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Maybe I had the J90 and not the J90c -- I can't recall.

I switched to a SD Hot Rails in my Jackson, and I love it

Comment

The J90C indeed has the ceramic magnet. And that is what the "c" designator stands for. I'm not sure about the output being any higher using ceramic. But it gives the pickup a brighter tone. I love the J90C myself. Definitely my favorite of the Jackson pickups and probably second favorite overall compared to any other brand. The only pickup I like better is the Seymour Duncan Custom.
                    We must!
                    We must!
                    We must increase the bust!
                    The bigger the better!
                    The tighter the sweater!
                    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Doh, I just realized that the pickup I had was actually a J-50b (and quite low output), not a J-90; but it's nice to know I guessed correctly on the c meaning ceramic at least [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

To me it sounds like a JB only fuller in the mids and bottom... I like them but they don't really compare to a "Hot" pickup like an X2n or an Invader.... They sound good but if you are looking for molten dripping oooozing gain this is not your pickup. It also depends on the amp you run too....

Comment

I do not like those pickups. My cousin loves them. We have this discussion once in a while.

For the styles mentioned, I would go with an EMG81, but that is me.
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I've had a lot of J50, J80 and J90 pickups and the individual
                            differences between them are sometimes huge. Those with ceramic magnets have had a lot more output and also to my ears a better sound. But there are some old J50B pickups that are just killer. J50C is my favorite among them. I have two and the other came out of a Japanese Charvel and the other one is on a custom shop star. They have the 80s metal sound no question about that.
                            My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

Got one in my model 6 and one in my CS CHarvel Strathead, and neither is going anywhere [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X