Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is the Jackson J-90c or Chavel J-90c?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How is the Jackson J-90c or Chavel J-90c?

X2N or Invanders are two of the hottest passive pickups you can get, and comparing them to pickups designed 10+ years earlier isn't quite fair I don't think. For their day, the Jackson pickups WERE considered pretty high output.

Anyways, I like the J50c and the J90c, they're great and helped define Jackson and Charvel's sound in the late 80's. I prefer the J95 out of them all, but thats probably the most uncommon of their pickups.

My favorite of my current guitars is a J50C in my strathead Jackson.

Of course I prefer the EMG 85 or 81 over it easily.

I like the Jackson pickups more than any SD I've tried.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      X2N or Invanders are two of the hottest passive pickups you can get, and comparing them to pickups designed 10+ years earlier isn't quite fair I don't think. For their day, the Jackson pickups WERE considered pretty high output.

[/ QUOTE ]
      I'm pretty sure Seymour Duncan Invaders have been around for well over ten years. I bought one in (I think) 1989, or there abouts.

Or are you talking about another Invader?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
        I'm pretty sure Seymour Duncan Invaders have been around for well over ten years. I bought one in (I think) 1989, or there abouts.

Or are you talking about another Invader?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but he means that the Jackson pups were mid/late 80´s and the X2N and Invader came later. But they actually all came into existence at about the same time, I´ve seen Invader ads from ´85 IIRC [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't remember hearing anything about them back then, but I was a Jackson fan with wood for EMGs... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Come to think of it, I still am! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Hi, Mats! Welcome to the JCF.

The J-90/J-90c pickup defined the sound of metal in the 80's. It will do Metal just fine, but...
            ...if you want a super-saturated 'thick' modern tone, you'll need to run it through a rig with lots of bottom.
            ...remember these pickups are approx. 20 years old. Some will still sound crispy and new - some will sound like ass.

Use your ears. That's the only opinion that matters in the end.
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

If you want a rounder more full toned Jackson pickup then try and find a J95. They are hard to find but people love them. If I recall they were the pickup Jackson used for the import Charvel model 88 that had a Mahogony body.
              We must!
              We must!
              We must increase the bust!
              The bigger the better!
              The tighter the sweater!
              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I use J-90's, J-90C's, and Duncan Customs. I think the J90C's have a little more midrange than the J-90's, while the Customs have a little more bite. All three are similar though. Good pickups for a higher gain amp.

Comment

Yeah I find the J90-C's have a nice singing upper mid hump in their response.... Nice for generating that "endless sustain", but can be a bit nasally with the wrong guitar/rig.

Comment

looks like i will have a look at the X2N ... some people sa yit is an EMG81 passive version of it but not sure. Never Heard of the J-95 thats really one mega pickup i guess ....

Comment

Does anyone have any info on the J-95 and the J-85?

Comment

Go to http://www.jacksonsoloist.com/ and the wiring diagrams and pickup specs. Jim's site has all the info you should need. They never made a j85 that I know of. Just a j80 and j80c.
                        We must!
                        We must!
                        We must increase the bust!
                        The bigger the better!
                        The tighter the sweater!
                        The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I read in the forum that the J-85 i think is a Blade Jackson Pickup ..

Comment

Thx for th eLink by the way Soloist1 !

Comment

Damn, now I wanna try one of these. I always assumed they were crap since so many people swap them out.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

X2N came out in 1979 according to Dimarzio website.

Comment

Working...
                                X