Jacksons marked "used" on the headstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacksons marked "used" on the headstock

I'm looking at buying a Jackson SLSMG, but one thing is stopping me... the word "used" has been stamped/branded onto the back of the headstock(apparently by the Jackson factory too; it's beneath the paint).

I'm not concerned with "used" being stamped on the headstock as much as I'm concerned as to what it means.

From Googling, it seems manufactors will stamp "used" on guitars that either have blemishes(which this guitar does not appear to have any of) or on refurbished guitars.

Does anyone perchance have suggestions about this? Should I stay away from this guitar? Or should a referbed(or whatever it may be) SLSMG be fine?

Thanks in advance,
    Kyle

Re: Jacksons marked \"used\" on the headstock

It is probably a factory second. Usually they have small imperfections that are insignificant. I suspect it is possible that some have major issues, but not likely otherwise they would scrap it. If the price is right and you are happy with it, it might be a deal. Just don't pay full price for it.

Comment

Is this guitar by any chance at a Music Go Round?

They apparently (according to what I was told)
      stamp "used" into the paint on the rear of the
      headstock so that people won't try to obtain
      warranty service that they were not entitled to.

I don't necessarily believe this is the case
      but that's what I was told when I questioned
      the mutilating of the serial number on my SL2
      and the stamping of used on the back of the
      headstock.

Comment

Put the words "I want to be" infront of USED. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Matt

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Put the words "I want to be" infront of USED. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Matt

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Great idea Matt. Very "punk" of you to think of that.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I do not believe that MGR story. It would seriously devalue their merchandise in the interest of protecting the pocketbook of some guitar manufacturer (e.g., Jackson, etc.), and what does MGR care about that? Plus, there's a much simpler solution to preventing warranty repair fraud (though I doubt that's much of a problem anyway) - code the sales receipt with a "used" marker, then when people try to make warranty claims require a receipt - without the used marker.

Not to mention, I've examined tons of used guitars at various MGRs (and bought one, too) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] , and have never seen such a marking.

Comment

The USED-stamped guitars at MGR were almost always USA models; I've never seen an import stamped that way. It's quite possible that Jackson's Japanese shop does sell factory seconds, but the USA shop does not. Just speculation though.

It doesn't take much for some manufacturers to consider some things a factory second. Gibson will sell an SG Supreme with obvious finish flaws for full price, but Jackson will consider a tiny chip or speck under the clearcoat as enough to warrant marking it as a second.

However, I thought Jackson would just stamp "2" on the fretboard at the last fret...
              sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                However, I thought Jackson would just stamp "2" on the fretboard at the last fret...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, only they used Z instead of a 2.

Matt

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Is this guitar by any chance at a Music Go Round?

They apparently (according to what I was told)
                  stamp "used" into the paint on the rear of the
                  headstock so that people won't try to obtain
                  warranty service that they were not entitled to.

I don't necessarily believe this is the case
                  but that's what I was told when I questioned
                  the mutilating of the serial number on my SL2
                  and the stamping of used on the back of the
                  headstock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a red SL2?
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I bought a creme colored Gibson 88 explorer(No pickguard) vol/vol/tone knob -set neck(obviously)tuneomatic/stoptail standard gibson bridge(like the les paul) used for $400 and it was stamped "second" on the rear of the headstock.Plays and looks great......I cant see anything wrong that would have made it a "second" except the nut had a tiny gap between the fretboard & the nut itself(the width of a credit card-tiny)NO intonation issues whatsoever.I just removed it,filed the area and re-glued the nut tight/close to the fretboard.

Done deal.

just look over ANY stamped "second or used" instrument carefully before plunking down some dougheeny.

Comment

Working...
                    X