• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Bolt-on and string-thrugh body

what's the difference between the 2 ?

Re: Difference between Bolt-on and string-thrugh body

two totally different things man
    One refers to the neck.
    The latter refers to the bridge (or lack there of)
    not sure what your question is.
    Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Bolt on refers to the construction of the guitar meaning that the neck and body are 2 seperate parts that are bolted together. Other types are neck-through and stet neck. Neck through means that the neck and center portion of the body are one long piece of wood with just the outer wings of the body glued on. Set neck means that the body and neck are 2 seperate parts but that the neck is set or glued in place. String through refers to the strings go through the back of the body and are anchored in the body instead of by some tailpiece or tremolo.

Comment

it was more to know the difference between a RR5 and RR3 other than the floyd rose

Comment

RR3 - bolt on

RR5 - neck through
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

that's why I asked, I want to know what the main difference will be

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Your question is strange. String-thru refers to where the strings will anchor through the body with either a hardtail or TOM (tune-o-matic) bridge. Neck-thru is the type of construction of the guitar's neck through the body.

There's plenty of guitars that have bolt-on necks with strings through the body, just as well as set-necks or neck-thrus with the same type of bridge. The same is also true of all three neck types and Floyd Rose trems.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yep, his terminology's a bit off. FSU, there are 3 basic methods of attaching necks to solidbody electrics, bolt-on, set neck, and neck through. Here're examples of each:

Bolt-on - a rectangular route is formed in the body then the neck is attached via several bolts. The route looks like this:

When the neck is attached it'll look something like this:

Set neck - a route similar to the bolt-on's route is formed then the neck is glued into the route. The finished product will look something like this:

Neck through - The neck and center portion of the body are a single piece of wood (no comments from the peanut gallery, this is the basic $0.05 explanation). The left and right sides of the body are separate pieces of wood that are glued to the edges of this neck blank. If you look closely at the following pic you can see the neck blank extending all the way through the body of the guitar (look for the grain differences, particularly on the lower side of the neck as the upper side of the blank isn't easy to identify in this pic but it's there):

Neck through construction yields smooth neck heels like the one in the previous pic and this one:

These guys are giving you a hard time because string through refers to a bridge arrangement in which the guitar's strings pass through the body like so:

See the neck blank pic above to see what the back side of a string through arrangement looks like.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

YetAnotherOne, Are these your guitars? If so does that red one have an austrailian lacewood neck? [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep on both counts though I recently sold the two bolt ons. There're a couple more pics of the Soloist in this thread.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Nice visual aids there, YAO! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Maybe the thread starter wants to know the difference in sound and/or feel of bolt-ons vs neck-through guitars

I rememember reading somewhere, a long time ago, that some people prefered bolt-on guitars -- I can't remember why.

I just read in one of my books that Fender started making bolt-ons to make repairs much cheaper. They figured that most non-electronic problems with a guitar usually involved the neck, so bolting a new one on was often cheaper than repairing a damaged one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I rememember reading somewhere, a long time ago, that some people prefered bolt-on guitars -- I can't remember why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh, this thread's about to get ugly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh, has there been a "bolt-on vs neck-through" argument before? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I didn't know...ooops.

If there was, I'd like to see it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Oh, has there been a "bolt-on vs neck-through" argument before? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I didn't know...ooops.

If there was, I'd like to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

See that button on the top right (Under the Sponsor Banner) that says "Search"?? Click on that, enter "bolt-on" and "Neck-thru" and you should have more than enough to read [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X