Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blasphemy to desecrate SL2HT??

Question for y'all.

Im slowly starting to get some solid income coming, and Im having some crazy GAS for a USA soloist again.

Here's the issue, the SL2Ht is perfect for me, except for the painted neck, I just DO NOT get along with them. My hands sweat mroeso then anyone. Anyhow, on my last SL1, I had scotch brited the neck, and that worked fine, and I could live with it.

BUT, I wasnt worried about its value, however if I picked up a new SL2Ht, would I be silly to do that. I emailed Kevin Easton and he said his shop would be willing to totally strip it down and oil it. For whatever fee, I dont see it that bad. However, no warranty, and if the neck pretzels, im SOL.

What do you think, worth the risk to have a "dream guitar" or better off not ruining a USA.

It's a pity I dont like Carvin's 25" scale or neck profile, otherwise id order one and be happy!

Lemme know fellas!

Re: blasphemy to desecrate SL2HT??

What about Scott at VWall guitars Chorine Ltd SL2HT: they have EMGs (not Duncans) but it does have that soon to be even more elusive oiled neck.....
    http://vwallguitars.com/Jackson_SL2HT_Chlorine.html

Just a thought!
    Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I would move quick on the Chlorine. I don't think he has many left. It's the way to go though. it's one of the best new guitars I've ever purchased.
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Hello Gemini,

I had the same problem with my SL-1. I love the guitar but the painted neck was a big problem. My hand would stick to that paint/finish, I don't know why since I did not have that problem with my other guitars.

Anyway, I took my SL-1 to a local luthier and had the neck stripped down to the wood. It was the best thing I could have done. The neck is now smooth, fast, and not sticky.

There are a lot of things to consider about making such a modification to a guitar. My thinking was that: "It is MY guitar and I want it to be the best guitar it can be for ME to play. I am not going to sell it, so why not."

So in the end, stripping the neck down to the wood worked out great for me. I enjoy the guitar much more now.

-Rufue
        Jackson: DK1
        Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          It's a pity I dont like Carvin's 25" scale or neck profile, otherwise id order one and be happy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mind if I ask, what about the 25" scale bothers you?

Comment

It's a tool. Modify it as needed to suit you.

Comment

Looks like the last chlorine is gone.

To echo what Rufue said, are you buying this guitar to collect it or to play it? If you want to buy it to collect it, then there are a lot better investment opportunities in electric guitars than a Jackson Soloist. If you're looking to play it, set it up exactly how you like it. Whenever I buy a new guitar, I always replace the pickups, replace the strap buttons, and take steel wool to the neck. Make the guitar yours, not a museum piece.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                on my last SL1, I had scotch brited the neck, and that worked fine, and I could live with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
                You should just do that again. No need to take the whole finish off to raw wood. Just make it a matte finish so it feels closer to oiled but you don't have to worry about the maintenance. If you ever want it glossy again, you can buff it back.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I say do it if you plan on keeping the guitar....if you ever plan on selling it then I'd just take some steel wool to it and scuff up the clear and make it more satin like....
                  RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                  RIP Dime

Comment

Working...
                  X