Long winded NAMM Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long winded NAMM Review

*This is a Pro Charvel/Jackson/Fender Post!

I went Thursday, and plan to go Sat. But I thought I was give a review of the NAMM Show from a guy that has been to many over the years.

I got there around 11:30, to find a Parking Nightmare, To see Ed Roman had about 12 parking spaces for his ghetto ass bus and limo... There was no where to park, usually, you can pull into the Convention Center's Parking, but it was FULL....Wow...

So, 10 Bucks valet at a hotel and I walked a block.

The Last Show I went to was 2002. It was lame, lots of USA/Flag Guitars, very light in traffic, and it was easy to talk to all my old friends, I was quoted as saying "Internet Killed the Video Star".

I saw Brooks Burton was at the ever so impressive Fender/Jackson Booth...he was knee deep in conversation and I was exhausted so I figured I'd say hello on Sat. Not many Dan' Graphics, but that upsidedown double neck got it hard, good to see them taking chances, but the Non-Recessed Floyds were cool enough for me, The EVH's are in Glass, LAME. They should do more Tributes to King, Warren, Amir, in my opinion...

I am a Fender Junkie, after growing up on Charvels. I was impressed with Fender the most, The coolest Booth by far, and all the "Sold" Tags maybe me feel that "The Guitar is still alive"...I love it how every year the Thinlines sell out the fastest..I own 3 early Custom Shop Thinlines, I feel I have something to do with it...

This Year, Unbelieveable, TONS OF GUITARS!!!, though most are imports, The Big Names are stepping Up. I have worked for ESP endorsers for close to 15 years, their Booth is just smoking and swamped, almost GMW Quality in Craftmenship....Ibanez was very impressive...I do production music, so I am a bit of a tech head on that stuff too..It was weird to see AKAI have about a poker table worth of wares, Digidesign had just the Icon and 2 big screens,Groove Tubes was smaller than ever, I grew up in Sylmar and know Aspen and Rick, but didn't have the heart to ask "How its' going". Floyd Rose had a small booth and was very approachable, If you have a camera, get a "Hero Shot" with him, I did the same with Leo in 1985, I have a pic with Mr. Fender.... Roland had too much empty space, very little to offer, If you have Protools, Reason, and a Pod, you can make music..that does sound good, I own many amps, and many pedals, and "Know" Old school rocks, but its bittersweet to see these companies struggling. Tom Anderson was downstairs, next to the Kazzoos and Tamborines...I like there guitars and Tom is cool, but with that many employees, how do they make money? I guess making 30k a year a guy building guitars makes them happy... GMW is a long wait, but Lee is the best builder there is and smarter than all of them combined...The Dean Booth messed me up, The ultimate Tribute to Dime, I won't go into detail, but it was touching. Vinnie Paul needs to be thanked for all that was going on there. I'm sure many guys will post about the Dean booth, but I won't. I was Ace's Tech and met Dime many times before and after, I touched the Dean From Hell,
    This is a ramble, but I wanted to post to let you guys know that us guitar geeks have been IN and OUT of style as long as I have been alive ( 33 Years)...Let's Rock!!!

And if you see me Sat. Say Hi, I'll be with a hottie, I'll buy you a Drink.

Casey McNerney

Re: Long winded NAMM Review

"Brooks Burton was at the ever so impressive Fender/Jackson Booth"

Ha, it sounds like I made an apperance. Autographs for everyone.....Casey, where did we meet up at the booth?

Brooks
    www.BrooksGuitarUniverse.com

Comment

We didn't actually chat,I was the TALL guy with the Broken Roland bag of Mags, I was beat, you were holding some plastic thing...You seemed busy and I was beat. I work with Chris McLernon that was in Saigon Kick, one of the bands that Phil likes, I think Chris emailed you once...anyway...I'm sure you would make a great Rep for Jackson, but Guitar Companies pay very little, I know. I'll make sure I say hello Sat.

But Brooks, would you say My Review was acturate?

Casey

Comment

That sums it up. That plastic thing I cary has all the mags / catalogs im picking up at the booths each day, because the bags break after a while. Best $7.99 I have ever spent. Be sure to say hi tomorrow when im up there.....

Just updated the pics on my site:

http://www.brooksguitarworld.com/namm05.html

Brooks

Brooks

Comment

I had the same type of encounter with you [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Dude Brooks did you get to meet Jerry Cantrell??

Comment

GMW? I thought Lee wasn´t going?? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Brooks, did Zakk end up signing it, or just throwing it back at you?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  GMW? I thought Lee wasn´t going?? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he just mentioned them in comparing quality to ESP & Anderson.

Comment

GMW was not there, yep met Cantrall, and yea I got the poster back from Zakk and walked away. Casey, we never met up - were you around Sat? I just landed in NJ today (Sun) and glad to be away from the warm weather, friends and guitars....

Brooks

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      GMW was not there, yep met Cantrall, and yea I got the poster back from Zakk and walked away. Casey, we never met up - were you around Sat? I just landed in NJ today (Sun) and glad to be away from the warm weather, friends and guitars....

Brooks

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean got the poster back from zakk and walked away, was he a dick about it or something?

Comment

Yes. That story is related elsewhere.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Where elsewhere? I want to read it but don't feel like wading thru a hundred posts to find it.

Comment

Brooks's NAMM pics thread, there is where Brooks says he showed the poster and Zakk showed it to people how gay he looked back then.
                            Then he gave it back and didn't bother to sign it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Where elsewhere? I want to read it but don't feel like wading thru a hundred posts to find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here dude

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...art=7&vc=1
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X