Shannon Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shannon Soloist

I am trying to find some information on this model. What exactly is a Shannon Solist? What would be the normal PUP and hardware setup? How much would one be worth in excellent condition?

Thanks,
    Ricey

Re: Shannon Soloist

Where is Number Of The Priest?
    He will be here soon to tell you all the details you will need.
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Good, I have some questions about mine that I've been wanting to ask, but I was afraid to bring any old threads back to life... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Priest...where are you?

Comment

he will reply soon...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Good, I have some questions about mine that I've been wanting to ask, but I was afraid to bring any old threads back to life...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing....Priest, where are ya?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

he seems to be writting a big post... in the whos online section he have been on this post for like 8 minutes

Comment

Probably he went to a Church... you know it is Sunday... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Or he must be busy on Les Paul Forum.

Keith, how is your BGF Shannon?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  he seems to be writting a big post... in the whos online section he have been on this post for like 8 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet it will be longer than the Lord Of The Ring movie.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Ye rang? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, I was typing a huge reply... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Made in 1998, came in four "regular" paint schemes: 56 blue ghost flames, 50 or 52 black (never remember which), 6 slime green, 2 white. Brett owns [at least] one of each and is reputed to be the only one with this "complete" collection. There's also a sherbet orange one SUPPOSEDLY floating around somewhere, and if so, that would be the rarest. Brett also has the one-hum blue ghost flames prototype which was formerly owned by Moshwitz. I am not sure if this BGF proto belongs under the 56 BGFs or not.

The general idea behind it is a sort of tribute to Mike Shannon (responsible for bringing Randy's guitar to life amongst other important Jackson contributions) and older Soloists. A modern take on an old Soloist, if you will.

Main differences include poplar body wings instead of the now-common alder. H/S/S pickup layout like an SL1, except the pickups are Duncan Pearly Gates hum and two Duncan SSL-5 Custom Staggered singles. Chrome hardware, which is semi-unusual considering USA solid finishes and BGF typically come with black hardware. There is also a non-recessed Original Floyd Rose tremolo, which means it floats WAY off the top of the body and there's no trem recess carved into the top of the guitar. Therefore, the sustain block length is 42mm rather than the typical recessed value of 32mm. Because of the increased bridge height, there is also an increased neck angle to compensate, sort of like the TOM/string-thru bridge guitars have. Mike Shannon's signature is on the back of the headstock, under the clearcoat so it's a permanent indicator of the Shannon Soloist. The headstock logo is silkscreened rather than mother of pearl inlay. The fretboard binding has the old-style fret nibs (binding over fret ends). Finally, the neck heel is the old-style neck heel rather than the newer "scooped" heel where it joins the body.

Phew! I think I nailed everything this time. Usually I forget at least one small detail... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Picture of the neck angle:

And a bunch of my other photos here, keeping in mind that mine has altered pickups:

Click here for more pictures.

Comment

Well, I'll start with what I think I know.

"Old" neck heel, Duncan's: h/s/s, non-recessed OFR (chrome, generally, but I think there were some black ones that left the factory), five way blade switch, and binding over fret ends.

The prototype from a NAMM (what year? 97? 98?) was single hum, blue ghost, I think Brett still has that one.

As to Mike Shannon himself, well, google him.

Value? What will a buyer pay? There were what, fifty six blue ghosts and fifty two or three black ones, and six green slimes, and two whites, and an orange that no one has seen? I paid one large for my excellent condition blue ghost just last month. I think one sold on ebay not long ago for under $900. But resale on a blue ghost or black that has been played seems to be around the $1,200 area.

Of course, everything out of my mouth may be wrong. Except what I paid for mine, that part I'm sure of.

Keith

Comment

Dang, ya beat me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] At least I had most of it right. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I started typing up my reply when I saw Ricey's post, "Priest, where are you?" and then didn't finish until I eventually posted it. I refreshed before I posted, and saw Toru's hilarious replies and Hambucker's observation that I spent 8 minutes typing up my post... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You have everything right Keith. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Makes my post more believable... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

NOTP your post must be pinned at the very top page of this forum.
                            So noone will ever ask about Shannon...ever!
                            [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Keith, how is your BGF Shannon?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it, but I'm not used to it yet.

I'm at least to the point where when I take it out of the case, I stop thinking about it and just play the thing. I haven't set it up yet, the low E buzzes like a mofo. But what is really odd to me, is that high E keeps catching on the fret ends where they meet the binding nibs. I'm not conciously bending out / down, but it keeps snagging.

So I love it, but have to log several bazillion hours on it to break it in and maybe unlearn some bad habits that I didn't know that I had.

Thanks again, bro, for the tip! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X