Questionable workmanship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questionable workmanship

I tried out a new USA Dinky Thursday night at Guitar Factory in Buffalo, NY. The fretwork was really bad! Both ends of almost every fret were not filed and polished properly and actually scrapped against my fingers as I worked up and down the fingerboard. Almost all the frets were like this. This guitar should never should have left the factory. It really surprised me because I have always found the fit and finish to be top notch on Jackson/Charvel products. Do you think this was a one off...or possibly even a Christmas Eve or Friday afternoon product or something like that? Has anybody else noticed any similar problems.

Re: Questionable workmanship

sounds like the guitar has made some temperature and moisture transitions. it happens.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

WOW! I did not know that could happen! This is not good for someone who lives in Buffalo!

Comment

attention to detal is one of my favorite aspects of jackson, this is not fun to hear.

Comment

How much was that guitar?

Comment

A New USA Dinky?
            That has to be a DK1.. that's the only USA Dinky availavle as new..

Comment

Damn, Toru, you're a regular Sherlock Holmes [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for the guitar's frets, hmmmm, lessee, California to New York via air freight......yep, gotta be bad workmanship [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It probably played like a charm when it left the factory. I´ve (and I´m sure alot of guys here have as well) seen some pretty remarkable stuff happen to necks, fretboards, frets and even finishes due to changes in humidity and temperature.

I´m wondering why the store hasn´t done anything about the problem, though. Either fix it themselves, which they imho should be capable of doing, or send it back to Jackson and hope that the next one won´t suffer as much from the transition. They´re not gonna be able to sell a guitar with problems like that for full price, and they´re obviously raising questions about Jackson´s quality control. Which is not good.

Comment

Didn't he say the frets weren't polished, and the ends were sharp? That can't be chalked up to environmental changes. Sad to hear, since every Jackson I've ever owned (import or USA) has come with uber-polished frets with smooth ends.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    sounds like the guitar has made some temperature and moisture transitions. it happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my thought as well. Even though it may be a new axe, who knows how the shop stored the guitar before it came out on the floor. Some of those warehouses and back rooms are very cold. The kicker for me was he said Buffalo. Not exactly Tahiti right now.
                    Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

It was a DK1. I don't discount the temperature/humidity hypothosis. I have always found the USA and Japanese Jackson's/Charvels to be of the highest quality. However, I have lived in this type of climate all my life and have been playing guitar since about 1980. This is the first time I have ever played a new guitar retailing for $1,500 that was in this condition. Jackson may have let one slip through the cracks in this case. I doubt this is any kind of trend, but it is worth keeping an eye on.

Comment

Although I'll defend the quality and workmanship of the Jackson USA shop of the past, this doesn't really surprise me in these days. I seriously wouldn't even consider writing it off as environmental changes. Hell, all of the import axes I've owned were shipped here from Japan and many of them have been back and forth across the USA a few times before I got them. Still, no fret or fretboard problems with any of them. I'd imagine that the fret finishing was done on a friday afternoon or monday morning. This is just another reason that I'm very hesitant to even consider paying the bucks for a new Jackson USA production or CS axe. Not to mention that their time frame is totally stupid. Fukk, I can build cars faster than they can build guitars, and I'm a one man band!
                        Don't blame FMIC though...it's the economy. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I work at a Long and Mcquade and we just got in a USA RR1 with gold pinstripes and this thing RIPS, the most perfectly detailed guitar I've ever seen, paint was perfect fret ends were perfect, frets were perfectly crowned, not a bad spot on the binding and no paint issues, all it needed was an adjustment of the severe backbow that it came out of the case with, and some new strings, but other than that it was flawless

maybe this guitar was built on a friday at 4:30? hehehehe

Chris
                          RIP Brother Dime!!!!

Comment

Which Long & McQuade do you work at, SpiralArchitect? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I am certainly not ready to write of Jackson at this point. They have been my favorite guitar brand since they first came out. Hopefully, it was just the temp/humidity thing or a pre-Christmas let down. I played a DK1 at the same store in November and it was one of the nicesest playing/souning guitars that I have ever laid hands on.

Comment

Working...
                              X