What's so Dinky about the Dinky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's so Dinky about the Dinky?

I've compared the Dinky to the Solist and the dimensions appear to be identical. The only difference I can find is that the Dinky's bolt-on neck feels a bit thinner than the neck-thru solist. Is there something else I am missing?

Re: What\'s so Dinky about the Dinky?

If you compare 22fret Dinky and 24fret Soloist the body, Dinky has shorter wings.
    When you compare these, those are 2 very different guitar especially the feel when you use strap.

If you are comparing 24fret Dinky and Soloist, they are pretty much the same but I bet Neck Thru Soloist has better access to the higher frets even Dinky(like DK1 or 2)has recessed neck joint.

Also Tone you get from a bolt on guitar and a neck thru, they are differnet too.
    It sounds to me, Soloist has less treble and more mid rangey.
    Dinky sounds trebly and has more bass BUT it is just my opinion.

Comment

Your topic heading question is slightly different than your main body text question. In your topic heading, you're basically asking about the size of the Dinky and how it got its name. In the main body text, you're asking for a comparison of the Dinky and Soloist shapes, and dinkyjacksonman has answered that. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The Dinky is called the Dinky which I believe is an "abbreviated" name for the Dinky Strat. I believe that the Strat Body was reduced in size (approximately 7/8ths) and sculped into what we know as the Dinky shape which turned out to be a very influential take on the classic Strat design, and thus the "superstrat" shaped body was born. It might have been the first superstrat but I cannot be 100% sure.

Comment

Yea, I had to answer this quick before NOTP comes here and starts saying " WHERE IS DINKYJACKSON?"
        I am glad I was faster.
        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You are ALWAYS faster than I am. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You probably responded to this topic while I was typing up my Lord Of The Rings long Shannon reply. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

isnt the dinky neck the thinnest usa neck jackson has?

Comment

Probably you think that way because they are oil finished or satin finished while Soloists and other neck thru are painted.
              Some Jackson Dinkys from 80's I had had pretty meaty necks.
              I wouldn't consider them as thin but on the other hand I had severals with VERY thin necks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                isnt the dinky neck the thinnest usa neck jackson has?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats true for the current production models. Don't know how it would stand up to older models though.

Comment

I thought the KV neck was thinner?
                  Anyhoo, NOTP has it right - the Dinky and Soloist are 90% (7/8ths) smaller than a Strat body.

Actually, the first "SuperStrat" was a Strat-sized body, but it's unclear as to whether the first one to get that designation was top or rear-routed. I've seen both H-S-S top-routed Strats and rear-routed H-S-S Strats from The Olden Days named "SuperStrat", so it could be either one or both.
                  Basically it's a Strat that can do things a regular/traditional "Buddy Holly" Strat can't, like real humbuckers and other upgrades.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

sorry newc, but 90%=9/10 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I've compared the Dinky to the Soloist ...

[/ QUOTE ]
                      the dinky is not dinky compared to a soloist,
                      but the dinky is dinky compared to a strat !!
                      you did compare the wrong benchmarks
                      greets
                      andy

Comment

7/8ths = 90% as well, because 8/8ths = 100%)
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Technically, it's 87.5 %
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

technically 90% would be 9/10ths [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

No, because it is not divided into 10ths, it's divided into 8ths.
                              7/8 + 1/8 = 8/8
                              8/8 - 1/8 = 7/8

1, being a whole number and the highest point in the given range, is equal to 100%, because there can be no higher number in that range.
                              8/8 = 1 = 100%
                              1/8 = 10% of 8/8 (100%) if you multply the denominator (8) x the numerator (1) and add the total amount of numbers together.
                              8x1=8
                              8=1 number
                              1=1 number
                              1+1=2
                              8+2=10
                              Ergo, 1/8th is 10%

Now, 7/8 is 90% if you multiply the denominator (8) x the numerator (7) thusly:
                              8x7=56
                              Add the total amount of numbers together:
                              8=1 number
                              7=1 number
                              1+1=2
                              Add the numerator (7) to the denominator (8):
                              7+8=15
                              Add that together:
                              56+2=58+15=73
                              Add that to the Numerator (being 7):
                              73+7=80
                              Drop the 0:
                              80 - "0" = 8
                              Multiply the Denominator by the remaining number (being 8):
                              8x8=64
                              This gives a number that is 9 points below 73 (see above). Using that as a reference to the Beatles' classic "Revolution #9", we hear the ending verse that repeats "Number 9, Number 9, Number 9". Playing that part backwards, we hear "Turn me on, dead man", a reference to Paul McCartney's alleged "death" at the time.
                              Add the age Paul McCartney would have been had he not "died" (being 28, as noted on the cover of Abbey Road):
                              64+28=92
                              Subtract the total amount of numbers in the original subject:
                              7=1 number
                              8=1 number
                              1+1=2
                              92-2=90

And you arrive at the undeniable truth that 7/8 = 90%

Class.
                              Dis.
                              Missed.
                              Biyatch.

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dr Newcenstein

Comment

Working...
                              X