• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's why those Jackson graphics were cut

shreddermon:
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You can also order the guitar you wanted (KV2 in Raspberry Burst) for the next few weeks, I do believe. The price list isn't usually "effective immediately..."

[/ QUOTE ]

True, that's been the past practice. Unfortunately, I tried to order one of those above-mentioned finishes a week or two ago. It was (already) rejected. I was told all changes were effective Jan. 1st. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

And I'm usually a fairly flexible guy. Drop my #1 want? OK, I'll just move on to #2, #3, etc. on my "wish list". Maybe with a little grumbling, but I'll still be relatively happy. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But the changes were huge. The number of finishes were basically slashed in HALF. And, it seems like all the ones I considered cool (#s 2 through 30) are gone. They've mostly kept the lame-o plain-janers. Or maybe I'm just an oddball, as I like unique bursts, greens, reds, purples, etc.? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

...It seems you can have it in any color, so long as it's black. Or metallic black, trans black, black w/gold pinstripes, black ghost flames. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This discussion from the other NAMM thread prompted me to ask John Walker about this today during my "yearly interview" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Basically John got together with Tim Wilson and ran a computerized report showing sales for USA Selects over the last 3 1/2 years by each model and color. The top 34 colors on the report were "miles ahead" saleswise over the rest, ie, after the 34th, the numbers "fell off the edge of the cliff". Below that, the report was showing very small numbers of those graphics selling, such as 3, 7, or 9 -- over the last 3 1/2 years. So, they're looking at between ONE and THREE sales per year. Things like Yellow Gold Pearl ("basically piss yellow") and Raspberry Burst.

Technically, the cutoff was Jan 1. However, John implied that he would look into your situation, shreddermon, because I mentioned it specifically. PM me the details of your order request and the dealer.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: Here\'s why those Jackson graphics were cut

those aren't "graphics" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Re: Here\'s why those Jackson finishes were cut

Oops, finishes. It's late.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

1 to 3 per year? Wow... I might be looking to sell my Jackson USA "CUSTOM SHOP SL2H" in Raspberry Burst on E-bay for $2500 in a few years then! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          1 to 3 per year? Wow... I might be looking to sell my Jackson USA "CUSTOM SHOP SL2H" in Raspberry Burst on E-bay for $2500 in a few years then! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe they only sold 9 guitars in the last 3 years with that finish. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

what colors were dropped? i did a weak search and couldn't find anything.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

That's cool of you to raise the issue with them, Ron. I'll PM you the order info in a bit, but it's probably best to leave this to the dealer for now. (I just sent them an e-mail.)

As to the sales charts, that'd be some very cool info. to see. I don't doubt the sincerety of the decision-making there. However, it seems like a little bit of a "self-fullfilling prophecy"-type thing. i.e., Dealers generally play it safe, and only order guitars they think will sell quickly. Usually Plain janers. They don't usually take chances on new colors, etc. It'd be interesting to narrow down that report to ONLY those sales that were special-ordered by customers. I'd bet even money the trend wouldn't look half as bad then. Nontheless, from a business standpoint, their point is still valid - just a different way of looking at it. ...I only wish the changes weren't so harsh and so sudden! ...Phase it in a little, 'ya know? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for looking into this and updating us, Ron. That was very cool of you.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe they only sold 9 guitars in the last 3 years with that finish. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't find that hard to believe at all. How many have you seen?
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    That's cool of you to raise the issue with them, Ron. I'll PM you the order info in a bit, but it's probably best to leave this to the dealer for now. (I just sent them an e-mail.)

As to the sales charts, that'd be some very cool info. to see. I don't doubt the sincerety of the decision-making there. However, it seems like a little bit of a "self-fullfilling prophecy"-type thing. i.e., Dealers generally play it safe, and only order guitars they think will sell quickly. Usually Plain janers. They don't usually take chances on new colors, etc. It'd be interesting to narrow down that report to ONLY those sales that were special-ordered by customers. I'd bet even money the trend wouldn't look half as bad then. Nontheless, from a business standpoint, their point is still valid - just a different way of looking at it. ...I only wish the changes weren't so harsh and so sudden! ...Phase it in a little, 'ya know? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

While I hear what youa re saying and agree... When you ahve more work than you can turn out you well have to cut things to be more efficient. Jackson is coming back to it's more production side and less custom side. Personally I wold rather have a well built Black Jackson then sacrafice some of the quality for finish options if you follow my thought pattern...
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      believe that they only made

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't find that hard to believe at all. How many have you seen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I own one, Rune The Axeman has one... so there is two in this thread alone.

Comment

I agree with the general proposition about raising efficiency and in the context of cutting rarely built models and a bunch of equally rarely built lefties I can see it. But how in the heck does having a few finish colors on the shelf that you rarely pull down and shoot impact the quality of construction? I don't follow that one.
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
                        X