Allan Holdsworth Charvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allan Holdsworth Charvel?

Hi Everyone. I just joined as I found your site while looking for what I hope will be my next guitar.

My apologies if this is a silly or stupid question...

I had a friend in college who owned a white Charvel (early eighties) like the one Holdsworth played. It had a wide ebony slab neck with pretty beefy frets and if I recall correctly a white painted headstock. He was quite an accomplished muscian and introduced many of us to Holdsworth and that 'sound'! Quite a change for a New Hampshire boy used to strumming Zepplin and Cream!

Anyway, I'd like to locate an early eighties single pup/basswood Holdsworth Charvel and was wondering how many of these are really out there and if this is going to be a one week, one month or one-year type search.

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me... this is as close a dead ringer as I could find:

Re: Allan Holdsworth Charvel?

there not easy to find and it wont be cheap unless you get lucky and they dont know what they have. good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

Thanks. I did a few searches and could only find two on the web using google... This green one and the white one in the pic.

Does anyone know how many were built or what I can expect to pay? Again, thank you... I don't bring much to the party but questions right now. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

how come thjose guitars have different control layouts? is that white one not really a holdsworth?

Comment

The last time we saw was on E-bay with $2400 BIn or something and won by Foxyguitars who later flipped(or he still has it) for profit.
          I believe the first picture you posted was from his website(Gbase?).

Comment

They all look just a little different... I found the gallery [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Here's #3348 looking the same...

While #3223 has only a volume control...

#3798 has a completely dif pup and bridge from either, and also has a different jack mount? Someone killed that one.

Comment

that last one in the Gallery, with the Kahler bridge - the description states that it is "Holdsworth style", not that it's an actual Holdsworth
              Hail yesterday

Comment

And it's mine.. I also have the original pickguard and switches as well as the single coils.. the Kahelr is factory and I've owned her since around 86
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

The white and green are mine....see www.usacharvels.com for more info on them.

They pop up from time to time, the necks are very fat and wide and usually lacquered..if you go to my site and click on the guitar (where you got the first pic form) you will see the work order details for Holds, including neck width etc
                  Cheers and welcome
                  www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                  My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and information.. my apologies if it sounded as though I was getting down on the last Charvel.. I'm sure it is a wonderful guitar.

On the Holdsworth, I had no idea they were so rare! Sounds like I'll be looking at ~$2500 for one from a 'known' source, and less if I take my chances. From what I've been reading, unless you know these guitars, it's pretty easy to become a 'mark'.

The one thing about the Holdworth that always impressed me over the other guitars I've owned and played was it's responsiveness and tone. Sounded very 'hollow' and resonated with a very vibrant, acoustic sound.... I don't know what combination of parts made it radiate so, but the thickness of the pickgaurd always stood out, as I also believe it had a chamber beneath the pick-up?

The railroad track neck/frets were a little tough to get used to, especially given the wide nut... not everyone has Alan's hands [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

I was able to play the guitar for about a month and a half before it went back to its home. I subsequently picked up an Ibanez AH-10 which mimicked the features of the Charvel, but had nothing on it's sound...

Just a cool guitar that brings back a bunch of memories, that's all... $1.95 six packs being one that I remember well. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I remember seeing Alan Holdsworth play way back in like 1982 at this tiny non-renovated movie theater in Salem, MA. I think he was supporting his Road Games album. He showed up for the gig and walked right down the center aisle with his guitar case. Jumped up on stage as his engineers were still trying to get his rig to work. He was a little embarassed and asked if anyone in the audience had a patch cable :-). They finally got it working and he jammed on his red charvel with Jeff Berlin and Chad Wackerman (IIRC) One of the best shows I have ever seen.

Comment

I just remembered later that winter ( think it was the same year) I saw the reformed King Crimson supporting 3 of a Perfect Pair with Adrian Belew, Fripp, Tony Levin and..damn, can't remember the drummers name and he's really well known. Man that was a great show.

Comment

Bill Bruford? I think he played on that album.

Comment

I sold my old Holdsworth to Foxyguitars. If he still has it...he won't let it go cheap. BTW it is a great guitar. I bought off Tim Rose from Charvel Central. It has some dings. And it has been played. But a sweet guitar none the less. You're an NH guy? I used to live in Hampstead, NH. Now I live in Tampa,Fl. Some weather you guys are having up there huh?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Bill Bruford? I think he played on that album.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Yes, that's him! Good call dg.

Comment

Working...
                              X