No announcement yet.

Why so many Jacksons are with Floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why so many Jacksons are with Floyds?

I have all types of bridges as well but YEA!!! I'm a Floyd Nazi, I'm a Floyd Nazi ha ha ha ha!!!!

Comment

actually floyds stay in tune really well once they are set up properly and if you like drop d that d tuna does work quite well but the floyd has to be flush against the body so the tension change doesnt affect the other strings.

Comment

On any of my Floyd equipped guitars, I always block the trem.

My '99 SL2H with a blocked Floyd held tune like no other guitar. With the painted neck, the neck never was overly affected by various environmental factors, the lockign nut kept the strings from sticking, and with a neck thru guitar you get no pocket shift. A perfect combo!

Well, unless you get one of those super cool fixed bridge units that had fine tuners and also install a locking nut! I have a picture where Tommy Skeoch had a Gibson with that setup, and it looked super cool.

A well set up and blocked Floyd can be quite fun!

Comment

A properly set up Floyd should be fun regardless of whether blocked or floating [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Another question: if you have a Kahler trem, can you swap it with a Kahler fixed bridge without performing any surgery?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda. If you have a Flyer, it drops right in. If you have a 2300, then you have to drill two new screw holes for the front of the bridge.

Good luck finding a fixed bridge, though. They are extremely rare and hard to find, and prompt ugly bidding wars on E-bay. The best solution is to make sure your Kahler has the heavy springs ( an option to make the bridge movement feel more Floyd-like), and crank the cam adjustment all the way tight, making the came rest against it's backstops (if you really don't want it to move at all).

If you have a Spyder, you can get the auto-latch and lock that sumbitch in place, just like the new Floyd Rose Speedloader bridges can.

Comment

Be careful, though. Some of the older 22xx /23xx trems don´t have the backstop setscrew (like the one on my Flying V). If you do this on one of those you can bend the fine tuners if you overdo it, because THESE are the "max up stopper" on those units.

Bending of the fine tuners is one of the reasons that setscrew came into be, btw [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm a total string-thru-aholic.
                Just look at my sig... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

A: shreaders

back in the day shreaders played with floyds and pointy headstocks. that turned into a marketing point. and that turned into sales. you can thank big hair and makeup for a good bit of it. being able to dive bomb without retuning was guitar hero's duty and jackson delivered and is what they are known best for.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

IMHO Floyd Rose whammy bar systems make a guitar "better", that's why they're on so many Jacksons. What do I mean by better?

1.) Stay in tune without hassle. 2.) More flexible guitar for multiple styles of music (not just shredders use a whammy) 3.) You can suck at re-stringing guitars and still stay in tune 4.) You can dive bomb to hell and back and still stay in tune 5.) You can bend a string 3 full steps and still stay in tune 6.) You can stumble around stage spilling beer and Jack Daniels all over your strings during a 4 hour bar gig and still stay in tune. Etc, etc. etc.

So basically Floyd Rose equipped Jackson/Charvels rule because they stay in tune which makes you sound better with less hassle. Does this make me a nazi?

Comment

Problem with Trems in the 80s is like the music industry in general .. it got so over used that it got stagnent ..Who were the best Trem users of the 80s .. VH,Vai,Gillis who else?
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

"Who were the best Trem users of the 80s .. VH,Vai,Gillis who else? "

DeMartini and Lynch were two of the best (and still are).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          "Who were the best Trem users of the 80s .. VH,Vai,Gillis who else? "

DeMartini and Lynch were two of the best (and still are).

[/ QUOTE ]
                          A few I can think of offhand: Gary Holt, Rick Hunolt, Andy LaRocque, Reb Beach, K.K. Downing, Glenn Tipton.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

satriani, vitto bratta, andy larocque, dave murray (granted he used both locking and standar trems, but jacksons in the mid-late 80's) paul gilbert, jason becker, marty friedman, countless other guys that never "made it".

i'm sure their's plenty i left out.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

hehheh, were on the same page tojam.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Yes, we are. Great minds think alike... and also use EL84 power tubes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X