Why so many Jacksons are with Floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so many Jacksons are with Floyds?

I already see you typing that it's a shredder brand and stuff, but is the management doing enough justice to those who prefer guitars with vintage trems or tune-o-matic bridges?
    So far, there is an SLS, new soloists line with Tune-o-matics, KV's, Kellys (???). Are there Dinky's with fixed bridges? I'm not talking custom shop here.
    What about all those Asian models with Floyds? They say that these trems are best when original, not licensed. So, I wouldn't buy a Jap guitar with some indy Floyd. However, if I saw a Jap guitar with a tune-o-matic or a vintage trem, I'd go for it (if I had the money [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )
    So, my point here is: I don't think that the company is right making many guitars with licensed Floyds. The US series seem to be fine, but they should make Jap guitars like Ibanez RG321BFK. This way it could be sold cheaper and would attract players who don't want to mess with bad Floyds.
    Another question: if you have a Kahler trem, can you swap it with a Kahler fixed bridge without performing any surgery?
    What do you think about transposing trems?
    No offence to the Floyd Nazi's, but I just love this quote:
    "When a guitarist grabs the whammy bar, he forgets to think about music" - Jake E. Lee.

Re: Why so many Jacksons are with Floyds?

Numbers pure and simple. They make what sell the most.
    www.kiddhavok.com
    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

While I'm a big fan of OFRs, Jackson's licensed Floyds work fine. Don't let misconceptions about their quality deter you from buying an import Jackson.

As far as the Jake quote goes, you could substitute just about any effect/device for "whammy bar," e.g., wah, sustainer, distortion, echo, the list goes on. If Jake prefers to dive bomb with his tuner (like he did in "Bark at the Moon") instead of a bar, good for him. It's all ice cream. Some like chocolate. Some like vanilla. No flavor/guitar style is universally "better."

Comment

Personally, I think there's just something odd about a strat style guitar without a trem of some sort - so I would never by a Dinky or Soloist with a tune-o or hardtail. And I'm not even a heavy wiggle stick user. But that's me - to each his own.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I agree with Grandturk. I'm just used to OFR's myself and still feel a little strange playing without one.
          "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Chase... you said you'd check out a Japanese dinky model with a Tune-O-Matic.. DKMGT - it's a quality axe. I got one a few weeks ago and really liked it, but didn't play it too much (playing my LP or 'new' Charvel Mod 3) But, I changed the strings on her last night for the first time and for some reason she came to life. At around 550-600 bucks, it's a bargain. I'm with you though, I don't need a Floyd. I'm actually somewhat intimidated by them. I suppose I should get over it. But, I suck enough at guitar that I hate to spend all my practice time trying to get the guitar in tune after changing strings. It's my new years resolution to become one with the Floyd [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Join the club...there are a number of us here that are Waiting for a string-thru US Warrior, KV (besides the KV2T), Dinky, and another run of KE1T's [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Joel
              RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
              RIP Dime

Comment

Here's my black Japanese Professional model from '94. It's called a Dinky HX, and only about 100 were made. They originally came with cheap Jackson pickups and a master coil tap on the tone control to split both pickups. Now it's got a set of EMGs, 85/60. I had also had the red one that I put a Tone Zone in and USA Jackson J50N, but I sold it to another board member here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I love string thru,TOM and Fixed Bridge!
                  I prefer the sound I get from these.
                  Only the problem is hard to keep in tune.
                  After several huge bendings, mostly 2nd and 3rd string go out of tune.
                  Other than that, I prefer non Floyd.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Join the club...there are a number of us here that are Waiting for a string-thru US Warrior, KV (besides the KV2T), Dinky, and another run of KE1T's [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Joel

[/ QUOTE ] You read my mind brother.

[ QUOTE ]
                    Numbers pure and simple. They make what sell the most.

[/ QUOTE ] Well since you can't find USA Jacksons in stores usually, the only thing that sells is what they DO have. Not everyone who wants a RR1T is willing to wait OR pay for a custom order. Then they just pick up the next flavor of the week, or buy used.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

When push comes to shove, I think that the people who play Jacksons (and Charvels) prefer trems and specifically Floyds. Simple as that. Think about all the ealy v-trem Charvels that got hacked up in the 80s adding trems. Its reason I think that the s-head reissues are not selling that well - why spend $2700 plus on a guitar that you would then, in effect, ruin be Floyding?
                      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I think the s-head reissues aren't selling for the simple fact that they are too expensive. C'mon, 2K for a Strat? OOOOOHHH FAAAAAAAAA!
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

There is a reason that they're called Vintage trems. I think they should stay on Vintage guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Vintage implies being obsolete. The biggest reason I use a Floyd is for the tuning stability. I am a beginner and have a hell of a time tuning by ear, so I like to tune my guitar once and just play it. That and it's fun to goof around with the bar every once in awhile...

Comment

I like floyds, but i hate them too. I like to jump from standard to drop d (mostly stay in drop d) and these d tunas and stuff arent't very stable. I used to have a Floyd rose guitar and I stopped using it because I could never set it up to stay in tune. I would like to get one again. (had a model 5 but had to sell it because I bought a Gibby Les Paul Custom)

Don't know, I will have to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X