No announcement yet.

I am wondering where I can get a .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am wondering where I can get a .....

[ QUOTE ]
    Wait a minute! It might be possible...

What about a 22-fret neck that's 24.75" scale? I just measured my Soloist and the distance between frets 22 and 24 is exactly 0.75" so in theory a 22-fret 24.75" scale neck should be able to intonate properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought 24 3/4" scale wasnt exactly 24 3/4"? or is that just gibson....

chris

Comment

I don't know, I've never owned one to measure.

Comment

I actually wondered that myself, throwing a fustin neck on an Rx10D to make it a shirt scale 24... :S

Comment

It's not just the nut to saddles, it's the fret spacing as well.
          If you put a 24 fret 24 3/4" neck on a body that is designed for a 22 fret 25 1/2" scale neck, the nut/bridge distance *might* add up, but the fret spacing probably won't.

The only 24 fret neck Warmoth makes (and WILL make because of their dedication to Fender's neck/pocket designs) is a Baritone Conversion neck for 22 fret bodies.
          Their 24 fret necks are 22 fret necks with a 24 fret-long fretboard, which means the last two fret will eat your neck pickup, and you won't be able to reach the last two frets unless you have really long fingers or do it overhanded.

As for the Kelly and feeling like you're reaching way out to the side - you are, because the Kelly's strap pins are located such that the bridge itself is in front of your balls instead of over to one side like a Soloist/V/normal guitar. This bridge position means you have to move your picking hand to the center of your body, and your fretting arm is almost fully extended to reach the first frets.

The strap pin locations are also why the Kelly nosedives unless you use a leather/gripping strap (or your name is Charvel750 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]).
          Moving the strap pins to the edge of the neck pocket and the top rear trem cavity cover screw hole is the best answer to all three problems.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            It's not just the nut to saddles, it's the fret spacing as well.
            If you put a 24 fret 24 3/4" neck on a body that is designed for a 22 fret 25 1/2" scale neck, the nut/bridge distance *might* add up, but the fret spacing probably won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. If the neck is indeed made for a 24 3/4" scale guitar, and the distance between the nut and saddles is 24 3/4", then the frets should be spaced properly (obviously slight intonation adjustments will likely be necessary like on any guitar).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

As for the Kelly and feeling like you're reaching way out to the side - you are, because the Kelly's strap pins are located such that the bridge itself is in front of your balls instead of over to one side like a Soloist/V/normal guitar. This bridge position means you have to move your picking hand to the center of your body, and your fretting arm is almost fully extended to reach the first frets.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I REALLY loved about my Kelly that is missing from my Soloist. When playing at the highest frets, my left hand would still be aligned with my left shoulder rather than in front of my balls, and so it was more comfortable soloing that way. When playing my Soloist up on the high frets, I either have to somehow shift the guitar to the left, or lift the guitar away from me, in order to not cramp up my left hand:

Comment

Working...
              X