Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad was the Jackson trem from the Eighties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad was the Jackson trem from the Eighties?

This should probably go in Tech Q&A, but I figured there would be more traffic here. I have a chance to buy a Charvel (don't know what model) with a Jackson licensed Floyd. How bad/good is it?

Thanks.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: How bad was the Jackson trem from the Eighties?

If you mean the JT6 the trem was pretty decent. The Kahler style nut sucks in my opinion though. If it is the Schaller Jackson it's a great trem nut included.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I think the JT6 trem is the best floyd "design". I love the location of the fine tuners... the larger string (lock) blocks... The replaceable knife edges (If you could only get replacements).

Keeping the net lubed with pencil lead helps with the problems Kahler style nut locks have.

I have heard some complaints about the metal used.. but I have not had any problems in the 15 years I have owned my Model 4.

[ January 09, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Hotrodder ]

Comment

I think the JT6 blows chunks. Its real cool, but the facts remain that its diecast made in Taiwan garbage. The Schallers are much better units in every way............

Comment

Yes, I'm not a fan of rhe JT-6 and that whole inner sleeve/outer sleeve concept. Because it's diecast, with time the inner sleeve inevitably strips and then you're no longer to lock the string.

Comment

the nice thing about the jt6 is that a schaller, or ofr will drop right in!

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I love the JT6 with the Kahler-type lock nut on my '87 Model 6. It still stays in tune just fine. BTW, it's Jackson's own JT6 nut, not made by Kahler.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

With a JT6 always make sure your allen wrenches are exactly the same size or are not worn down at the tips or you will eventually strip the nut on the hex screw. If this does happen and it will sooner or later get a dremel and make a slot for a screw driver or dime to lock strings down.

Comment

****, thats a great idea. I've got a jt6 with stripped allen bolts.

I'm gonna try that right now.

Thanks yogadork!! You rule! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

(it that a reference to Moby, BTW?) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                    I love the JT6 with the Kahler-type lock nut on my '87 Model 6. It still stays in tune just fine. BTW, it's Jackson's own JT6 nut, not made by Kahler.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had the same Model 6 (red metal flake) and I have to agree, although I don't think it had the same feel as an OFR. Also, it didn't seem to hold up very well to oxidation.

Comment

Personally I really dislike the JT6. The nut is completely useless. They wont stay in tune for me. And I have tried all the tricks too. they are made out of cheap metal, the string clamp bolts strip out easy on the head where the allen wrench goes. the fine tuners are difficult to get to. the way the bar attaches it way cheap. and they look funky on top of all that. I definetly would take a OFR or a Schaller over these anyday. I think the schaller is actually a little better than the OFR because the schaller has the removable knife edge inserts that are case hardened steel to be durable and last. But hte OFR is great to!! either are a great choice!! Keep in mind I am not slamming anyone elses opinions about hte JT6, these are just my thoughts on the matter and I am sure there are others who think differently and thats cool [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Hope this helps! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Will the Schaller knife edge inserts fit a JT-6?

If you strip the string locking screw just buy a new Allen screw and then bevel the tip into a cone shape. And if you buy a quality screw (Allen or Unbrako brands) the wrench will round over before the screw will. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Embarassing moment:

I was thinking: "Hell, I've had my Model 3 since '92 and I've never even considered that the allen sockets in the string locks might get worn".

Then I realised that I've maybe changed the strings on that guitar five times in that period. Tops.

Oops. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hell, when I moved to Hong Kong in '96 I dug my Ibanez[1] out of it's case when my freight arrived, and realised it still had the same strings on it as at the last gig I'd played in early '92. Strewth...

- Steve

1) A '74 Moderne "copy" that I've had from new I hasten to add.
                          Model 3
                          Model 5A
                          Model 3B
                          Journeyman
                          Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

Schaller doesn't make the Original Floyd Rose trems anymore?

Comment

and i thought i was bad at bothering to change strings
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X