Why were the JCF-YCE rules abandoned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why were the JCF-YCE rules abandoned?

I understand why the YCE series is dead (or dormant), but what was the reasoning behind the original rules being abandoned?

I am now an owner of a matched set of JCF-01 and JCF-02. I would have gladly obliged by the original rules at the time of purchase.

Seems like in the *spirit* of these guitars, they ought to remain in the JCF family. And also, if any current owner is in a financial pinch, they are guaranteed their purchase price and no shortage of potential buyers.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't profit from buying/selling guitars, but it seems like there was a special vibe around creating these specific guitars and the original rules were created (and wholeheartedly adhered to) to preserve that special vibe and not "cheapen" the original intent by allowing profiteering to take place.

I think keeping the old rules would set these guitars distinctly apart from any custom shop or limited runs that one could ever order. It would also act as a permanent and ongoing symbol of what the JCF brotherhood and this board is all about. And finally, it would not really hurt any owner finanically one iota. As a slight compromise, maybe the guitars could be marked up by the rate of inflation each year.

Not trying to stir up a sh!tstorm, but that locked thread in the Classifieds is painful to read for a variety of reasons.

Happy Superbowl everyone!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Re: Why were the JCF-YCE rules abandoned?

basically, it didn't seem to make sense to hold people to jcf series rules when the series itself wasn't around. the guitars themselves will more than likely stay within the jcf anyway (for the most part). i suggest that b/c let's say if you saw a jcf01 guitar on ebay and had no idea what the series was, or what the jcf is. it probably wouldn't sell for much more than a standard rhoads would, even though it's a numbered series. i'd wager that jcf02 may have a bit of a broader reach b/c of robbin's involvement, but i'm just speculating, here.

take it fwiw, that's just my opinion.
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

How would you enforce them?

Pat

[EDIT] posted before I saw Kev's reply...

Comment

The same way they would have been enforced had the series stayed alive? banishment?

I'm sure there might be one/two pricks that might join the board and become a member in order to snag a series guitar to flip on eBay, but i think we all keep pretty good mental notes about who would be appropriate next owners.

or better, how about drawing legally binding contracts on the right of first refusal? there's a couple of lawyers on this board.

Maybe I'm being hopelessly idealistic, but I think these special guitars (and they are indeed truly special) should serve to unite this board instead of being so devisive.

Comment

well lemme ask you this.. what did you pay for your pair then? I'd bet it was more than the cost of them originally ... this would mean you would be bound to sell them at their original cost now and take a loss ...
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I'm not mr. money bags nor am i trying to be holier than thou, but that would be perfectly cool with me.

Comment

I'm not trying to bust your chops, just trying to put it into perspective.. at this point with all the JCF-01s that have changed hands we wouldn't be able to get people to agree to it.. no one is going to step backwards ...

Comment

I'm glad you guys decided to make that thread viewable. It offered two distinct opinions, it provided some ideas, it offered a little drama, and it damn sure provided some entertainment/humor. Pot shots were taken by both camps, but to my knowledge, it never got down right ugly. Page seven pictures are sorely missed, but hey! Again, thanks!
                "POOP"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I'm glad you guys decided to make that thread viewable. It offered two distinct opinions, it provided some ideas, it offered a little drama, and it damn sure provided some entertainment/humor. Pot shots were taken by both camps, but to my knowledge, it never got down right ugly. Page seven pictures are sorely missed, but hey! Again, thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

And I think, IMO the most important thing to that thread were Curt's words, they needed to be there, somewhere.

Pat

Comment

Just throwing ideas out in the air...

"Someone" could establish the fair going rate for JCF-01...I believe they've been switching hands for around $2k or maybe slightly less, add one year's worth of inflation to big red and say those are what they should sell for and they have to go to another JCF member in good standing.

Comment

but to acheive what?
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Horses are out of the barn, so to speak.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The thread in the classifieds sparked my interest in these guitars, till then I really never paid attention to them because 1- I have only been here for a few months, therefore I don't know the backsstory of these and 2- I just thought they were similar to the LTD runs that go on by dealers here. My question is what is the history of this series? how did you get to have one, it seems like you had to be "worthy of the honor", if that is the case, what made you worthy? Why is the original price so taboo to talk about? I understand some of the things may be touchy( and to be honest I don't know why, it just seems that people get pissy about these guitars), but I really am curious as to what the whole hubbub was about with these. if I'm out of line or if these questions are going to start problems, delete this post or tell me and I'll delete it(time permitting). it's just that some of us haven't been here forever and these seem to be the topic of many threads.
                          Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

JCF-YCE = JCF Yearly Collectors Edition ..

The series was designed to pay respect to historically significant guitar in the history of C/J. The idea was conceived by Robb Witte one of the JCF's original admins.

The first year was the missing link Rhoads which was Randys guitar that was never finished b4 he died. The guitar was eventually finished and mistakenly sold at the namm show. Each guitar got a JCF specific serial number JCF-01-XX and there were 25 made the first year. The secrecy behind the price was due to the special pricing that was cut by the dealer for the quantity and not intended to be made public ..

JCF-02-XX Was chosen as the Robbin Crosby "King" V aka the double Rhoads. Robbin was onboard with the project when due to certain issues the series was stalled and then eventually cancelled. Robbin personally signed 30 trem cover plates for this series and a letter thanking the 30 prospective buyers. there were 31 guitar expected to be made with 1 special guitar for Robbin himself. Unfortunately due to the delay Robbin never lived to see the project completed. The guitars were completed around Dec of 2004 .... There is a good write-up on the Robbin story @ www.robbincrosby.net

Kev

Comment

Thank you.
                              Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Working...
                              X