How much Fret Buzz is normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Fret Buzz is normal?

I've ever so slightly loosened the truss rod on my new axe and I'm still getting some fret buzz. What concerns me is that the fret buzz runs the entire length of the neck. I feel that the action is getting higher, but the buzz has not subsided. Any ideas on what I should do? I'm just very concerned.

Re: How much Fret Buzz is normal?

?? Are you adjusting action with your truss rod??
    Occupy JCF

Comment

You don't adjust action with your truss rod, you raise/lower the bridge. You keep the neck straight by adjusting the truss rod.

As for how much buzz is normal - how much is coming through your amp?

My guitars have considerable fret buzz, however, you can fret the strings merely by looking at them. While I'm somewhat of a hamfist because I "grew up" using high buzzless action, I'm slowly breaking that habit that by using lower, buzz-laden action.
      Although I must admit the "plink plink" acoustic sound causes me to do Country-style licks more frequently [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      On the Halford, no less [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

<font color="yellow">If you like ultra-low action for whatever reason, you have to live with a certain ammount of buzzes/rattles and whatnot. It's metal on metal, and you will never totally alleviate it regardless of what you do.

I like low action, I always have. Is the buzzing terrible? I don't think so but that's me. The downside to ultra low action, you are a slave to the effects of the surrounding environment much more than a guitar with a slightly higher action. There isn't much room for error in neck placement relative to the plane of the bridge.

I do think that by having a slightly/moderately higher action, the tone is better to my ears, buy maybe that is subjective and psychological to a certain extent. Also, what may be good for me may be horrible for you, and vice versa.

It would be neat to do a blind test of several members of the JCF with different guitars from different eras, and which they would prefer on playability/feel vice aesthetics or a reference point.

</font>

Comment

Low action and a little fret buzz is just a way of life. Raise the action a bit and you get a little bit more sustain and it might cure your fret buzz problem but now you have to play with a little bit higher action. There are trade offs to this issue. You just have to decide which of the two medium you can be happy with. Hope this helps.
          "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

The difference in tone between higher and lower action is definitely noticeable. With higher action, the string has far less contact with the other frets, therefore less interference caused by touching the other frets.

"Better" as far as "more pleasing" is subjective, but "better" as far as the technical definition (i.e. not adversely affected by the string touching the other frets as it oscillates) is definite fact.
            There's pros and cons to each side, of course - my NASL's 9th fret/3rd string goes into a sweet harmonic shortly after being struck, but the action is not as low as I keep some of my others. I know that if I adjust it, I lose the harmonic.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I wouldn't screw around with the truss rodd too much if you aren't that familiar with properly setting up a guitar. I would see about taking it to a tech for a good setup. Should be around 35 bucks. Do you have any good techs in you area?

NOt to highjack, but Newc, did you get your NASL new through JS or did you get it used? I'm thinking about one and I was just curious. You can PM if you want.
              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

i'm not adjusting my action my adjusting my truss rod (my neck was not straight). When I fretted the first fret and the last fret the string practically layed on the frets up and down the fret board. I adjusted the truss rod over a period of 3 or 4 days (a total of maybe 1/2 a turn - small 1/8 of a turns over 4 days). I've adjusted it to where that if I fret the strings on the first and last fret there is about a thin pick width between the 6th fret and the string, and when I sight down the neck there is just a "wee" bit of relief visable (which I thought was a good thing).

I just thought that adjusting the truss rod would fix fret buzz as well. What has me concerned is that in all my reading online that it says to beware of 10 - 12 fret buzz as that could be the direct related to tounge warpage in the neck - that freaks me out.

Comment

If anyone wants to suggest a Tech in the Lexington, KY 40517 area, I would be grateful.

Comment

Jim - Mine was NOS - sat in a store display case (according to the guy who bough it on my behalf said the store told him) for a while and was reduced to make room for the newer incoming model with an ebony board (mine's rw). I had sold a bass to a guy in Tokyo a few years ago, then when I got into Jacksons I found the JacksonStars stuff from a link someone posted here, and emailed the guy asking if he'd find me an NASL, and that I'd send him the money for it. He did, I did, and it cost about $950 total shipped from Japan to TN.
                    I also had him pick me up a hardshell case since they only came with gig bags, which was an extra $100 or so.
                    The guitar was way cheap - I can't recall offhand but if the shipping was $130, and the case was like $120, then the guitar was like $700 after tax.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

The guitar was way cheap - I can't recall offhand but if the shipping was $130, and the case was like $120, then the guitar was like $700 after tax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have to pay any customs once it reached the US?
                      I think one of those NASL's with the Rising Sun would be killer!
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Quit fooling with the Truss Rod..... [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Quit fooling with the Truss Rod..... [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?!?!?

Comment

there is a good link in the tech q and a section on fretbuzz.

Comment

bolt on or neck thru? You can shim the neck angle slightly on a bolt on. Next question is trem or hard tail? Is the buzz more prominent on the treble or bass side? (typically bass) Floyd nut or?

Comment

Working...
                              X