Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone pick up a guitar for me pls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can someone pick up a guitar for me pls?

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why don't you point Lee to these threads on the JCF? This is a lot of business he stands to lose.

Brett

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, this makes me apprehensive about ordering another guitar from GMW. He needs to realize that he has a lot competition out there from other boutique/small builders as well as a huge used market.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have missed that thread. Haven't been on very frequently lately. Can someone point me there, or give a quick rundown?

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...o=&fpart=1
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

this one thread

Comment

he just lost any chance of getting my business the guy sounds like a complete prick. if someone on here knows him they should tell him that there is a serious backlash building up about the way he treats his customers.

Comment

I will let him know. I am still talking to him about sending my GGF Sl1 to him and have the finish taken off the back of the neck and getting it oiled.

Comment

I for one will never use GMW after my phone conversation with Lee about 2 weeks ago I wanted to send him a Guitar for I thought was alot of work & his responce was I don't have time to deal with something so small. Wanted a new Frett board with Binding & new custom inlays & wanted the guitar repainted. But the job just was to small for him to take on, They refinish & build guitars right? Before someone takes this the wrong way it wasn't I don't have the time for the project the project was to small for him to take it in, was his opinion.
              According To The Prophecy

Comment

Lee has been pointed to the two other threads about this guitar, I'm happy for him to respond.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I for one will never use GMW after my phone conversation with Lee about 2 weeks ago I wanted to send him a Guitar for I thought was alot of work & his responce was I don't have time to deal with something so small. Wanted a new Frett board with Binding & new custom inlays & wanted the guitar repainted. But the job just was to small for him to take on, They refinish & build guitars right? Before someone takes this the wrong way it wasn't I don't have the time for the project the project was to small for him to take it in, was his opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats weird, I talked to him a few days ago about basically the same thing and got a totally different response.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had basically the same response a couple of years ago with 2, count them, 2 custom builds, I guess he's got better things to do? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Needless to say, I've never looked back, nor considered another GMW since...

Again, hope it works out for you bro!

Pat

Comment

Wow. That sucks. Hope it all get better quick!

Comment

let me go up vic, 2 minutes dealing with me and that guitar will be on the way back in no time. i'm a headache remember?
                        if you look at me long enough, i turn into a bottle of anacin. you can see cotton growing out of my ears.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Knock yourself out, kid [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

G M W Guitar Works
                          220 N Glendora Ave
                          Glendora, CA 91741-2617
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Tommy, just make sure it has a new neck installed when you go there dude. He is more than happy to give the guitar away in it's current condition. He wants to be rid of the problem guitar asap, there's no question there. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't see what's getting resloved by just picking up the guitar, other than eliminating the threat of him selling it on Ebay on you?
                              If you negotiate to get it fixed, then give it back to him, then he's in possession again and
                              you're back to the guitar being hostage.

IS he even taking the position that the other luthier fukked up his work, or just saying too bad, you're half a world away? It doesn't seem like he'll fix it later if he won't do it now. It sounds like he's stubborn enough to fukk himself rather than give in. Maybe he can copmpare points with Lee Jackson when he finds himself working for FMIC after he drives GMW into the ground.

Maybe a better approach would be to find an LA luthier who could make the guitar right, one with the credentgials to dopcument the flaws in the GMW. Then have a proxy in the US take
                              GMW to small claims court for the amount of solving the problems he wouldn't address. Ace knows John Carruthers, maybe he'd ask him to work on it. His take should carry weight with a judge. Small claims in California has up to a $5,000 limit. If you win, then you need to hire a marshall to go out and perform a till tap. They'll go to GMW and collect customer's money until your judgement is paid. Most businesses are embarrassed by this and cut a check right away.

Your greatest chance of losing is in having had another luthier work on the guitar before notifying GMW of a problem. That could void any warranty if those are his terms. If you had an email from him allowing you to take it to a local tech, that would've improved your position. He may truly believe that the local tech fukked up the fretwork, and his crew may not admit that they were out back smoking weed while an apprentice did the crap fretwork - or a similar scenario.

I completely think he needs to make this right
                              but not contacting him immediately was a mistake. If you order anything from anybody and it comes with a problem, you need to notify them right away, lest they think the time gap means the item was fine when you got it and something happened later while in your possession to screw it up. Regardless of GMW's ultimate response, remember that for future reference. Contact the manufacturer before doing ANYTHING, to get their comncurrence.

I bought a used Marshall head via Ebay and it came in DOA. Pissed me off, but I called the store and asked them if I could take it to a local tech, or if they just wanted it back, snce they'd said THEIR tech had gone over it before it went out. They authorized $65 to check it out, with the option to refund for repairs or take it back depending on diagnosis. Luckily it just had a couple of bad solder joints which UPS had loosened. So I got a $65 refund and a working amp.

Now if I'd just taken it to the tech and THEN
                              tried to get a refund, they could've as well said "FU, we'd have taken it back for the $30 in shipping, but we're not paying to fix it when we have a tech here". The difference is
                              in putting the ball in the seller's court first, and not doing that may be what set Lee off. Not saying that's right, but I've found that the strangest things make people dig in their heels. That's probably why you're getting such variable reports on dealing with the guy. Everyone says he's gruff, but those who say he's also good to deal with, are probably those who know how to handle that type of personality.

Anyway, hope things calm down and you work it out with Lee to some decent satisfaction.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I know what you're talking about with the guitar not quite being fixed, but I can't let it go home just yet, and staying with Lee that means coming back to me next week with the dodgy neck, or Ebay, which is just as dodgy.

I also see what you're talking about with the frets being worked on, but Lee isn't complaining at all about the other guys doing some work on it, he met them when they gave the guitar back to him. He could have asked them some questions but he didn't. They tried to tell him I wanted a new neck when they were there.

Ignoring the frets for a second, the neck needs replacing due to the terrible nut/truss rod install, so the fretwork in it's current state needs to go, along with the inlays. Custom Inlays have good ones for when that time comes. If that time comes. I cannot beleive how hard this is, it should be a no brainer.

Comment

Working...
                                X