OFR Snobbery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR Snobbery?

I don't understand why people diss non-OFR Floyds.

I've used so many floyd guitars I can't count, and while I've seen some bad ones. (Washburn, Ibanez TRS, Mighty-mite ect.)

I've never had a problem with Jackson/Charvel trems.

I've had all of those trems, in fact I've got all of them currently (JT500 JT580LP JT590 JT6 OFR Schaler)

Not ONE of these performs ANY better than the other, they ALL stay in tune as well as the next and I can hear NO sonic variations between them.

I must be completely clueless, like there's some cosmic joke that everyone but me gets, cause I have had NO problems with any of these floyds.. ever.
    [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: OFR Snobbery?

Well, the jackson ones that I had. The parts were hard to get locally and were different in some ways than the real OFR parts that ARE available.

The big problems that I have had from the Jackson licensed one, are that the screw holes for the screws that hold the saddles for intonation strip out and make the backing plate useless and intonation impossible... At elast the Schallers had hardened thread inserts to keep that from happening.

They're also made of potmetal which I feel suck tone bad in comparision to the OFRs...

Other than that.. I guess they're cool.. haha

Comment

I don't think that PLAYABILITY is ALWAYS the case, as much as TONE !!!...German Tool Steel and adding something like the oversized sustain blocks cast out of bell metal that Performance in L.A. has made for them RINGS better than pot metal, and things like the knife edges, posts and trem arm receiver on the collared bar-type are a weak point on a lot of "Licensed By" or "Under Floyd Rose Pats."...

You CAN'T KNOW HOW MANY guitars I get in here that won't hold tune {go sharp or flat all the time} that the trem posts or knife edges are the culprit on...

Besides that, the way JT-6s fine tune is rather Mickey Mouse, IMHO [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ January 10, 2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Doc Dryer ]

Comment

I can definately say the Schaller Floyd is awsome, very well made [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Talking about Locking trem, I prefer OFR or Schaller.

I actually don't even use trem bar.

Comment

Most of it is the fact that OFR's are made out of steel and the majority of ripoffs are done with cheaper metals. The Schaller Floyd is awesome because in actuality it IS an OFR. It's made in the same factory with the same tools. There's a few differences (I can't remember what though), but they're pretty much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
              Most of it is the fact that OFR's are made out of steel and the majority of ripoffs are done with cheaper metals. The Schaller Floyd is awesome because in actuality it IS an OFR. It's made in the same factory with the same tools. There's a few differences (I can't remember what though), but they're pretty much the same.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The OFR is Hardened Steel and the Schaller Floyd rose II are Drop Forged

Comment

Doc....What about the Kahler Steeler..BTW the VERSATEL SMOKES

Comment

i have an OFR on my SL2H and I had a Schaller Floyd on my Fusion Plus. Both of these trems are awesome, I never had any problems whatsoever! But I have played other, cheap guitars with ****ty trems! Washburn trems are not really good IMO. I don't really understand some people who say that Lo-Pro-Edge trems stay in tune better than OFR's. My OFR NEVER goes out tune, so that something else would be more stable sounds kind of silly to me. Just my opinion... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anders

Edit: But I'm sure that there are many licensed ones that work just as good as the OFR. /Edit

[ January 11, 2003, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: Anders ]
                  https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

what Doc said....
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I know I can not the only person to see stripped out saddle intonation screw threads, cmon!!! They come into my shop a lot...

I'll figure that's why the newer Schallers have little hardened steel thread inserts in them.

Comment

I've stripped a few, although to be fair, it was my fault rather than the trems.

Comment

Last summer I conducted some scientific experiments on this very arguement. On the JT-6 equipped "Panty Chick" Jackson strat I tried a genuine Floyd Rose. No tone difference whatsoever. No performance difference or feel difference. I also tried a JT-590 Schaller and got identical results. So, absolutely no significant difference in feel, tone, or performance. However, the JT-6 is always more difficult for me to restring. Even with a tremlock, the bridge falls off the posts and the tinier 2.5 mm screws are harder for me to turn, etc.
                          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

One major difference I noticed between the JT580 on my DK2 and the OFR I replaced it with is the springs for the OFR are waaaaay better. I kept hearing this resonance from the Dinky with the old trem, and finally traced it to the springs which would resonate with certain chords or notes.
                            At first I swpaped just the trems out, and went ahead and swapped the springs as well, but I swithed back to the 580 because I thought about putting the OFR in another guitar, but I left the OFR springs in it. Surprise! No resonance!
                            When I finally swapped the OFR back into the Dinky is when I realized the springs of the 580 were crappy. I've also noticed such resonance with my Warrior Pro, and am planning to replace those springs as well.
                            Another note about the 580/OFR swap - I had to crank the spring claw way out of the body with the OFR's screws - maybe their being shorter helps with the resonance thing?

Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I still think the late-model JT-580's suck horribly. They don't have hardened steel pivot points and the bars never stay tight. I also hate the string lock screws. I'd much rather have a JT-500 with an OFR bar swap than a JT-580. At least the JT-500 has stainless steel pivot blocks just like the Schaller JT-590.

Comment

Working...
                              X