Jackson/Ibanez Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson/Ibanez Question

What is the closest playing Jackson to the way an Ibanez plays? I had an RG 550 a long time ago, and now have a JEM 7VWH. Of course the JEM plays better than the RG, but they both are fast playing guitars. I really love how the JEM plays.

I am considering getting another Jackson (probably used), but would like to get something that plays like an Ibanez. It doesn't have to be the more expensive ones. An example of above and below $1,000 would be great. Thanks for any help! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    www.reverbnation.com/rokhollywood

www.facebook.com/Rok Hollywood

www.facebook.com/rokhollywood2

www.facebook.com/RokHollywoodFans

Re: Jackson/Ibanez Question

Probably an import Stealth.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Stealth or Concept, although I don't know if all had the same neck profile. I've also found that reversed-headstock models seem to have a slightly different neck.
      sigpic

Comment

JTX Standard. Very thin neck like a JEM, pearloid/MOTO pickguard, trem, Tele-type shape. They came in both maple and rosewooded fretboards with dot inlays.

Otherwise, get just about any Jackson made in Japan or America and set it up to your preference and it will be just as good as if not better than anything else you can think of.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Soloist and the RGT3120 are similar.

Comment

Probably the best choice would be a Made in USA Soloist, and sand the gloss off the neck. I've heard that the early 90s models had thinner necks than the current Soloists.

Moving to the under-$1000 category, the older Dinky Reverse, with offset dot inlays is supposed to have a very thin neck, though the heel is not contoured like a Jem's. The neck-through SL4 has a very thin neck also, and has a deep neck contour (22 frets though). Both are MIJ and under $1000. In fact, the Dinky Reverses sell for around $350 on eBay.

Comment

Does Ibanez have compound radius fretboards? That's a place where you'll feel a difference.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Yup. Yet another thing Ibenhad stole from Jackson was the fretboard - wide and flat.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, are you sure Ibanez´ necks are Compound Radiused?? The one on my RG 1077XL had a flat 20" radius... And My old Saber (´90s S-470) had a flat 20 as well... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I LOVE the neck on my kelly. It's JUST RIGHT.

When I play an RG, they're ok too but not as good, the neck is a little bit flatter but significantly wider. The "flatterness" doesn't help at all, and the wideness hinders my playing (short fingers), especially since I wear guitars quite low for a shredder.

just my blabber on the subject..

Comment

I thought my Jem's neck felt slightly wider than my Jacksons' but wasn't sure. I think the Jem's backshape is a bit flatter, too; more D-shaped, less C-shaped.

Comment

I owned a JEM for 4 years.

The Jacksons I have played include the Warrior, SL1 and SL2, PC1 and KV, and of course I have an 83 Charvel with the C shaped neck.

Anything with a speed neck you would probably like. A soloist would work also in my opinion.

I wouldn't be too concerned with whether its a flat shape or c shape.

You can reasearch the neck profiles (I think) at the Jackson guitar home page. I don't know where to find the JEM one - maybe on the JEM club forum.

I finally got a Jackson PC1 myself and found I can get much better vibrato on a meaty neck which the PC1 has - than on the thin necks. I can get better anchorage on a thicker neck and my speed is the same. Just took a little getting use to. It was a shocker to me because I always thought smaller flatter necks would be superior.

My JEM neck was not painted. I can't remember if it was oiled or not. But anyway, you will have to get an unpainted Jackson neck if you want the same feel of the back of the neck.
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I recently purchased a DK2. How does this neck compare to other Jacksons? To me it seems thin, but not too thin, and is flat on the back (or has tall shoulders, if that makes sense). If I get another Jackson, I'd like to know what to look for.

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I'll do some research from it, and go to some stores to see how many of these models I can find. I appreciate your help.
                            www.reverbnation.com/rokhollywood

www.facebook.com/Rok Hollywood

www.facebook.com/rokhollywood2

www.facebook.com/RokHollywoodFans

Comment

Working...
                            X