USA Neck-Through vs. MIJ Bolt-On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Neck-Through vs. MIJ Bolt-On

I love my black DK2FS so much I'm buying another Jackson. I was thinking another DK2FS (transparent red) but with black hardware, real Seymour Duncans, Floyd Rose, etc. Price is still less than a Soloist, but close enough that I'm wondering...

Assuming I add above to a DK2FS, that leaves only question: USA neck-through w/ebony fingerboard vs. MIJ bolt-on w/rosewood? How much of a difference does it make? Is quality otherwise equal? I would very much appreciate any recommendations.

Re: USA Neck-Through vs. MIJ Bolt-On

My USA Neck-through kills my MIJ neck-through which kills my MIJ bolt-on, regardless of hardware and electronics upgrades.

Comment

I think there are two major areas that neede to be considered...

The neck through will have better access to the higher frets and the back of the neck will most likely be finished high gloss vs the satin on your DK2FS. I think anything else woudld be minor differences. I'm not sure of the neck profile of the DK2FS, but that may be different as well.

Quality is always going to be better on a USA vs an import unless you are talking about the early 90's Japan imports. I would say you need to play both and make a decision based on how you like each one

Good luck!
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Yes, my Custom Archtop Soloist kills my DK2LE, but the Select USA series don`t blow it away. you can`t go wrong with any of them for sure. Jack.

Comment

Jackson's imports differ from other imports in that Jackson spends more time and money on better wood and construction (i.e. fretwork, etc) than hardware. In fact, they use probably the crappiest hardware I've ever seen next to an old Hondo, but that stuff is easily replaced with better stuff - Duncans, EMGs, DiMarzios, etc, Floyd Rose trems, etc. While you still won't have a USA-Jackson-quality guitar, you'll have a better-quality import than any other import, and probably on-par with most other brand's USA guitars.

As for choosing between a USA Soloist and another DK2, neckthrough does not instantly mean something is better - if that were true, we'd all be playing old Arbors.
          You'd do just as well with a USA DK-1, but at a lower price.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yes, used DK-1`s are a great value right now. Jack.

Comment

What about the ebony fretboard? I definitely prefer rosewood over maple, but I've never touched an ebony...is it just harder/more durable, or is there an effect on tone, playability, and/or speed as well?

Comment

Ebony has a brighter "top" to it, at least on my guitars - rosewood's a little "warmer". Feel is pretty similar, although ebony is a bit harder. I've got guitars with all three common board woods, and while there's a slight feel difference bewteen ebony and rosewood, it's nothing like the difference between either of them and maple.
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I'm pretty impressed with my DK2. I'm not sure how it would compare to a USA soloist, but I have an old (1980's) ESP neckthru with ebony, and it's a very nice guitar.

I think you should go for a neckthru - after all, you only live once.

Comment

I think that the USA stuff blows away most of the more recently available imports. However, if you want a budget neck through - check out a mid 80s (small logo) Charvel Model 6 - it is basically comparable to a soloist of the same era. Also, the early 90s Jackson "Professional" series imports are very well made.
                    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Agreed on the 1990-94 Soloists and the mid-80's Charvels, but neckthrough is definitely not a requirement IME.

Ebony has the same density and acoustic tone as maple, but as long as the frets are tall enough, you don't really feel the board itself.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Agreed on the maple v. ebony comparison.

As for neckthru - I have found that I generally get better playability out of a neck thru than a not on the average music store guitar. That said, a bolt-on done right is my choice these days (like a GMW or SD Charvel!).
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I usually tend to find that when I'm really digging into the strings, the ebony does feel better to me than rosewood. This is of course most notable on my Les Paul Custom when compared to my Studio since the LPC has smaller frets than my Jackson (which has jumbo). It does seem to be a little bit brighter as well, which I think is a nice touch to a mahogany bodied guitar. Really it comes down to what you feel plays better.

Ebony is also sexier too (gotta love black! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I believe maple actually requires a hard finish (gloss?), while rosewood and maple can remain unfinished and/or oiled. Probably doesn't make any difference to most of you though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I believe maple actually requires a hard finish (gloss?), while rosewood and ebony can remain unfinished and/or oiled. Probably doesn't make any difference to most of you though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just fixin the typo

Comment

Working...
                              X