Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying a Jackson, Opinions/Help needed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying a Jackson, Opinions/Help needed....

Hey guys,

been a while since I posted. The reason is I have been trying so hard to get a Jackson myself. I'm a lefty, so its hard to find one for a good price.

Anyway, I was thinking of ordering a Jackson DK2L, but have some questions about modifying it.

Basically, instead of HSS pickup config, I'm trying to get the HxH config or maybe an HSH. So I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a dealer who when I order this guitar from, can do this work for me. Of course, I would love to get a ballpark figure for this job from you guys. I'm sure some of you have done something similar to this. Also, please adding a coil-tap on the neck pickup. I would appreciate any comments and opinions. Thanks for reading!

Re: Modifying a Jackson, Opinions/Help needed....

Try Kevin Easton @ eastonguitars.com. I would have recommended Scott @ vwallguitars.com but i'm not too sure if he'll do the kind of mod that you want done. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

I believe the dealers here can install any pickups you like onto any guitar you order from them. Obviously you'll get the BEST service available and they'll definitely cater to your whims! That's what they're here for!

If you're not crazy about the regular hum-cancelling position 2 and position 4 on a three-pickup Strat-style, then my recommendation is to get a 5-way megaswitch installed. Positions 2 and 4 will split the neck and bridge pickups. I've currently got that setup on my H/S/S Soloist that has a Super 3, Hot Rails, and Hot Rails for pickups.

Dude... it's REALLY been a while since you've asked about pickups and such for a DK2L... I remember your very first posts here on the JCF asking about this sort of stuff. The agony is killing me. Buy a guitar already! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Alternatively, go with a DKMG. Dual humbuckers. Unless that doesn't come in left-handed versions... never mind! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        If you're not crazy about the regular hum-cancelling position 2 and position 4 on a three-pickup Strat-style, then my recommendation is to get a 5-way megaswitch installed. Positions 2 and 4 will split the neck and bridge pickups. I've currently got that setup on my H/S/S Soloist that has a Super 3, Hot Rails, and Hot Rails for pickups.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool (mega 5 way). Sorry for being off topic, but how are the hot rails? Would you do them again? Mix hot with cool?

Thanks,

Don

Comment

I had an 1985 Explorer that originally was H/S/S. I gave it to a friend of mine and he changed out the pickups to all Seymour Duncans since he's a Duncan freak. He put a Dimebucker in the bridge and two cool rails in the single coil slots. Worked great for him.

(The '85 Explorer had three seperate killswitch toggles - one for each pickup)

Comment

The Hot Rails are the only single coil sized humbuckers I've ever tried but I like their tonal flavor. They're thick, juicy, and surprisingly not that over-the-top. Just fat and smooth enough. And when split, they give a nice convincing single coil tone.

Comment

I modded the neck pickup slot of a DK2 to fit a regular hum, and it was only moderately sloppy (coupla slips on the edges, one scar across the face near the middle pickup), but if I had it to do over again I'd probably get a Duncan JBJr or LilSD or Lil59 BRIDGE model to go in the neck.
              Neck pickups are still voiced to give a traditional "neck pickup" tone, whether it's Fender single coil or Gibson hummer tone. If you want a neck-position single-coil-sized pickup to NOT sound as much like a Strat, use a pickup that is voiced for the bridge position.
              Conversely, bridge-position single-spaced pickups are still Stratty toned, so put a neck-position single in the bridge for a beefier tone from those types of pickups.

Anyhoo, I'd suggest a Duncan Custom or Distortion in the bridge and a *bridge-position* JBJr, Lil59, or Lil Screamin Demon in the neck. If you have the dealer do the swap, make sure you specify that you want a bridge-position model in the neck, or you'll probably end up with a neck-position model just out of habit.
              Middle pickup would be your particular preference.

You can also change the knobs to push-pulls for coil splitting/phasing, as well as or instead of the mega switch.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Fragger, man, BUY THIS NOW!!! Looks like a USA Dinky, great price, lefty!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...306963736&rd=1

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys. I think I got more than I asked for, as you guys actually went ahead and suggested me some pickups to put in the guitar too.

I'm aware of the single-coil sized humbucker but still posted this topic. I guess the answer to my main topic, that is, what is a good place to get this mod done has already been answered. It's all of them, right?

Newc, I still envy your DK2, but I took a second look at it, and thought to myself, aren't you pushing it a little bit to keep that middle pickup and neck pickup so close? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Or maybe its my inexperience.

NOTP, once again, thanks for your reply. You always come through for me! Yeah, about the guitar, its driving me nuts too. I mean its like I'm confused and don't have all the money in the world, so I have to pull the trigger right. To be honest, these days I have been considering the RGs, but something about my flame for the Jacksons is not allowing me to do that, or maybe cause I can't find an RG [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] for the right price [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. In either case I was thinking of all the options, and a DK2 with HxH with a split in the neck sounds pretty sweet, I hope its not too sweet, cause then I wouldn't have the dough to buy it with.

One last thing, what do guys think of these pickups? Both DiMarzios. A Steve's special in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck? I know this is gonna sound familiar. Bonus 100 points if you can tell me what had this set up :P. Anyway, I hope to hear from you guys soon. Sorry for my late response, I was sick yesterday. Thanks again, all!

Comment

Yeah that DK2 didn't have the old-school spacing between the singles. I wish they woulda kept that design (where the neck single is far enough away from the middle to route it out for a hum).
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Fragger, that guitar NOTP found looks awesome. I'd consider buying it but I'm not a lefty. I'm not as much up on DiMarzio pickups as I am with SD's, so I can't really answer that - is it you?

Newc and NOTP - you two are tearing me apart - rails or single hums? I won't mix both.

I'm thinking of using the middle position as a "second" bridge pickup. So my choices would be a JBjr or a Hot Rails Bridge in there. I'd want something that sounds, bridgey? which I guess means crunchy.

Comment

Again thanks for the reply guys. The reason why I wanna go with the DiMarzios is because I'm trying to get that John Petrucci tone, especially the one that he had with his JPM model with Ibanez. One thing that I'm curious to know however, is how would the pickups affect the tone, being installed on an alder body? I believe his RG and most RGs are basswood. Some clarification on that would be very nice. Again, thanks for the replies.

Comment

F an RG

Comment

Somebody has hit the Buy-It-Now on that killer lefty USA Dinky I posted above. If the winner isn't our man Fragger here, I will personally find Fragger and beat him half to death with a stick. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just kidding man! Should have bought that guitar and spoiled yourself, you deserve it after all this time! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I find alder to be much more toneful than basswood. To me, it seems more difficult to find a basswood guitar that sounds good compared to finding an alder guitar that sounds good. The proportion of good sounding alder guitars is higher (to me) than good sounding basswood guitars.

That being said, supposedly the basswood Petrucci EBMM guitars sound great.

DonP... no problem with mixing rails with standard polepieces. I agree they look funny sometimes, but oh well... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Got 'em in my Shannon Soloist, effectively a three-humbucker guitar with the option of splitting the neck and bridge pickups with the 5-way megaswitch to achieve single coil tone:

Comment

I'll admit I started out with an RG but then I played a USA Soloist for the first time...bought it on the spot because my jaw simply dropped to the floor, didn't even really like the finish all that much , I have not looked back since.

Comment

Working...
                              X