How to tell if it's USA made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if it's USA made?

How would i know for sure if a Jackson is made in USA? Does it have to say "Made in USA" on the head stock or is there other sure indications?

And second:
    Is a bolt on neck Jackson guitar considered cheaper / worse than a neck through?

Thanks.
    B
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: How to tell if it\'s USA made?

Yes. The guitar should have "Mde in USA" written on it. I'm pretty sure about that.

2. Cheaper, yes... in most cases that is the reason for bolt on necks, money.

Worse, no. It's all preference. a Bolt-on neck gives a snappier sound that a neck-thru, whick gives a warmer sound with more sustain.

(I'm pretty sure about the second answer too).

Comment

Almost every USA Jackson will say "made in usa" under or after the Jackson logo on the headstock. All USA guitars will have an identifiable serial number. On neck throughs this will be stamped into the fingerboard at the last fret. The letter "J" or "RR" or U0 are the normal neck through codes followed by four digits. Some models were customized with PC and other codes to indicate limited runs. Bolt on models will have four digits on the neck plate until you get to the year 1990 onward.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

From 1990 onward the bolt on serial numbers consisted of six digits. Only custom shop bolt ons retained the original four digit serialization. In 1989 there were quite a few USA made Jacksons built without the "made in usa" logo after the Jackson logo. Some of the early archtop Soloists did not have "made in USA" after the logo. There are other identifiers too, as have been pointed out above. These include dates on the inside of the neck heel or neck pocket. Also, many of the bolt ons and neck throughs had the work order slip inside the trem cavity indicating USA origin. In other cases you can use hardware, pickups, and such to narrow it down.

Regarding the arguement between bolt on and neck through designs, it's really moot. A bolt is more cost efficient to build, therefore the savings is passed onto the customer. But the difference is slight, and as far as playability and tone there is not much difference at all. I prefer the neck throughs myself only because they feel nicer to me, and I like the luxory of no bulky heel joint. I will not seek out any Jackson bolt on unless it has 24 frets as the heel joint on a 22 fretter is cumbersome to me.

Comment

I appreciate the info you guys are giving me here - very interesting.
          I am actually trying to find out if a Jackson i have seen, is in fact USA made. It _has_ got the "Made in USA" on the headstock, but one thing that puzzles me, is that it has got a humbucker in the bridge pos. and a single coil in the neck pos. and it has got 22 frets. The shape is the Soloist. I just haven't seen this configuration before.
          The neck is USA but what about the rest?
          Looks like i have to unscrew the neck to find out?

/Mr. Paranoia :-)
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

The saying that neck thru's give more sustain than bolt ons is [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

That is a common pickup layout. Is the guitar bolt on or neck through? What is the serial number? That will tell us a lot...

Comment

There is a lot of discussion on bolt-on vs. neck-thru's. In each catagory, there are guitars that either shine or fail. Jackson has USA bolt-on/neck-thru's and import bolt-on/neck thru's, each having a varity of pricing. I have one of each and there is a difference in tone, however, that does not make one better then the other. Best thing to do is to try each at your local music store and decide for yourself.

The USA guitars do have a "Made in USA" or "CUSTOM SHOP" marking on the headstock (all custom shop's are made in the USA)

joe...

[ January 14, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: GodWentPUNK ]
                www.godwentpunk.com
                www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Most USA Jacksons have Made in USA written on the headstocks, but there are some older ones out there that don't. Some Custom Shops don't have Custom Shop on them either if the customer wanted it that way.
                  Bolt-ons can sustain just as long as neck-thru or set-neck. It's all a matter of preference.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a neck that is an early pearl inlaid logo model made back when there was no import Jackson line that does not feature "Made in USA' or "Custom Shop" on the headstock. The only real identifier is the work order stamp on the bolt on area.

If it says "Performer" up there, its an import with no question.

[ January 14, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Also, if it says Professional, it's an import.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I also believe the Y2KV`s do not have Made In USA on the headstock? I traded a 1991 USA Fusion for another Jackson, not because it was a cheaper Bolt-On, which definately wasn`t I traded it because the neck profile was too thin for me. If it would have had a Solist style neck profile I would have not traded that beuty away. The bolt-on part doesn`t bother me at all, just the neck profile. It sustained as long as my Neck-thrus thru my VHT Pittbull CL-100 2x12. I love bolt-ons, just not the Dinky style neck profile. Man would I love a USA Fusion with the Soloist neck profile. Hmmmmmm Custom Shop Dream [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                        X