Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I put a FR nut on a -84 Student Rhoads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I put a FR nut on a -84 Student Rhoads?

As some of you might remember I got a Student Rhoads, black with blue bevels, Kahler, blue/green logo, from e-bay about a year ago and it got really beat up on it's way to Sweden, tip and upper wing got broken of. The really cool green/blue logo turned out to be tinted varnish which was peeling off in big flakes, now removed. I don't know if I got the spelling and words right but you know what I mean...
    It's not original, changed pu's and electronics, fixed up tip and fin, but on the sunny side is that it got a professional fretjob and a new Kahler that I had lying around.
    I'd really like to install a FR nut and a Emg 81 in her but I can't help feeling that it would be wrong.
    Also there's a plastic plate under the Kahler, probably put there to lever the bridge, and I can't help thinking that it somehow takes a bit of sustain and tone away.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

JT

Re: Should I put a FR nut on a -84 Student Rhoads?

Do the Floyd nut. You cannot possibly lessen the value beyond what happened between the shipping damage and the clearcoat problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by a plastic plate under the Kahler, and I've never seen that or heard of it, but I'd imagine it can't be a good thing.

If you could find someone to fill the hole with a nice solid block of wood and re-cut it for the Kahler....
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Under the bridge there's a plate, probably made by some sort of pickguard material, it's not so much a plate as a frame maybe, but it's there to leverage the bridge. I guess that the roller saddles on the kahler wont go high enough. I've seen this on other guitars that has aftermarket Kahler installations.

Just seems strange that it's done on a production model and even stranger that it's made omn a Jackson.

Anyone got close-ups on a early Rhoads with Kahlers?

JT

Comment

What newc said, and here is my 84:

I had a floyd styled nut installed after the original kalher nut rested out. I did retain the original "behind the nut" clamp, and even so, the flyd set up is so much better than the kalher because, it will not strip out as easily, and because it locks down more consistenly (that kalher "locking up" is almost counter productive to the whole system if you ask me).
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Here is my 84 I am the original owner. I had it refinished at the custom shop in the mid 90's

EJ

Comment

I think the plate thats being refered to under the Kahler is that gasket like material between the Kahler and the body. I'd keep it there personally.

Rudy
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

that plate is surely original
              i have it on both of my SD kahlered axes (85 student rhoads, 86 kelly custom)
              leave it there
              not sure bout the floyd nut
              if you leave it behind the nut you an't do much wrong

Comment

So I should leave the nut and install the FR nut where the Kahler lock nut is now installed?
                I had my mind set on installing the FR nut like it's installed on my RR1. Wrong?

JT

Comment

Not at all. Considering what that guitar has been through I'd have no qualms at all about doing a traditional FR nut install. Like Newc said, there's nothing you can do to it at this point that's going to significantly lower its value.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Thank you!
                    Consider the old beater Floydnuted!
                    I will also give it an EMG injection...
                    Since I'm a huge King/Hanneman freak I'll make it my NR 1.

JT

Comment

Working...
                    X