Late SD Charvels/Early SD Jacksons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late SD Charvels/Early SD Jacksons

After a couple of comments about this subject in the ebay section I thought I would bring this to the entire board. As we all know near the end of the SD Charvel run some of the guitars had SD Charvel plates but Jackson logo'ed necks. Also the SD Jackson strats are basiscally relogo'ed Charvels, essentially the same gutars. However in the resale market for lack of a better term the "Halfbreed" Charvel plated Jackson logo'ed guitars along with the SD Jacksons do not pull in the kind of money that a SD Charvels do.

To look at it from a purely collector stand point there are very few of the halfbreeds and over 1000 or so( who knows how any have survived) SD Jackson strats. By numbers alone these are much rarer than the SD Charvels, thus logic would dictate a higher resale value over their Charvel cousins. Reality is a clean unmodded one can barely clear what a heavily modded Charvel can pull in.

What does everyone think about this anomaly in our little J/C world?

I think that it shows although these guitars are conisdered the same from a manufactorers standpoint, they are not the same for us the buyers/collectors.
    I was a fan of Charvels back in the early 80's. I couldn't afford one but I wanted one bad. Then Jackson sent Charvel to the minor leagues with the Model series. Instead of being the pinnacle they were now the entry to mid level guitars. Before someone blows a gasket I love the Model series and have several of them, they are great in their own right.
    Jackson became the highend fancy guitar as the Charvel line continued to be down graded. I have never gotten over that.
    Because of that history even though these guitars are essentially the same as SD Charvels I will not buy or own one simply because of the name on the headstock. I know that is as petty as it gets. But that is me. I really am a Charvel snob. So for me it is purely logo driven.

Now I will say that these are a great bang for the buck.

Re: Late SD Charvels/Early SD Jacksons

I have a SD Jackson, SN# 1167. For all intents and purposes, this guitar is the same as any SD Charvel except for the logo and the neck plate. The neck profile is the same as Charvel pointy. The headstock is a black phenolic cap, not painted.

The serial numbers on these guitars go from 1001 to 1505. That makes these guitars even harder to find than a Charvel. I would love to find a nice SD Charvel, but I'm pretty cheap and the price on these just keep going up. For the SD Jacksons, the price is going up a little bit, but not anywhere near Charvel prices.

I think it all comes down to nostalgia. Charvels were the hot rod, bolt-on strats that all of our heros played and Jacksons were the sleek neck-thru shred machines.

I'll never be a SD Charvel collector, maybe I could be SD Jackson Strat collector [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Same anomaly will probably turn out to exist with the early fender etched plate Charvels: there are a handful which were made with the PO Box 215 addy and another handful made with the PO Box 245 (and maybe one more?), before the regular 3-D plate came back. Based on a numbers and timing argument, I have heard these refered to as almost a
      sort of "pre-pro" that u can verify as legit. I personally do not want one and am happy to have a "less" rare 3-D neckplate on any Charvel which I might buy.
      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I like SD era Jackson plated guitars so much, I own 3 of them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. They ARE an extremely good value, especially if you aren't averse to Kahler trems or a few modifications. Here's a pic of mine:

#1266 (top), #1149 (middle), and #5128 (bottom). Yes the last one has a non-matching plate, but it is 100% '86 parts and sports an '86 era work order #.

I was kinda looking for an excuse to post this picture [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow!!Very cool Bert,no difference between those & an SD Charvel imo!!

Comment

I think the issue's kind of screw-counting moot-ness. The reality is that early Jackson strats are the same guitars as late SD era Charvels. Charvel neckplate or not.

Why did some have Charvel plates? Because J/C was being practical, and used up the last of the Charvel plates before moving on to the Jackson ones.

Why did they have Jackson logos? Because J/C was being practical, and used up the remainder of the Charvel logos before starting in on Jackson ones.

It just so happened that the remaining Charvel neck plates did NOT equal the remaining Charvel logos. End of story.

At the end of the day, though, "the market" clearly considers them Jacksons, and that's reflected in their values.

Personally, I think headstock logos are cool (both), so I consider them to be whatever's on the headstock. Call 'em whatever you want, though. ...Cool guitars either way, so who cares?

Comment

I get a huge kick out of this subject because there are collectors that will swear those are jacksons and others that will swear it's a Charvel ..

My belief is they are Charvels and here's why ..

If you go back and look at the history of when Jackson was born and the 2 lines existed in parallel they were 2 entirely diffent guitars, Jacksons were primarily neck through guitars and Charvels were bolt ons. Jacksons had a high end line with binding and sharkfins etc and Charvels were typical hot rod guitars ..

When Grover licensed the charvel name for import and made a decision to end its usa production he exhausted his supply of logos and decided to logo the guitars under the Jackson name brand. The plates,bodies,necks shapes etc all scream bolt on charvel .. so it's basically a bastardized version of a Charvel simply by virtue of a new logo ..
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Exactly,thanx Kev!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Why did they have Jackson logos? Because J/C was being practical, and used up the remainder of the Charvel logos before starting in on Jackson ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

But why did the LATE serial Start heads still have the Charvel logos if they were all used. Obviously they (Jackson) did not run out of Charvel logos - it is interesting that the LATE strat heads still bear a Charvel NOT Jackson logo and the LATE pointies bear a Jackson NOT Charvel logo.

At the end of the day, if people like them grab them. they are excellent bang for the buck.Who cares if some people think they are Charvel San Dimas or if others think they are Jackson San Dimas. It should only matter to the buyer because ONLY he/she will put a price/value on it.

IMO (note just an opinion) I HONESTLY believe that if more people viewed them as Charevls they would command more $$ and attention. Just my opinion. I know if Kickaxes Snakeskin had a Charvel logo instead of a Jackson logo I would have snagged it. Again that is just me...again another example of rare not always meaning valueable or collectable.
                  www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                  My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

LOL!!

Comment

tim wilson said only about the last 50 plated charvels, received jackson headstock logoes.
                      I had # 5464 electric grape dinky , ebony board, h/s/s with chrome floyd. awesome guitar, i've seen it on ebay a few times and thought about grabbing it...

it is true that jackson was being practical using up plates,
                      but also was in part due to the charvel line becoming an import only line after the buyout, jackson was told by IMC that they could no longer put the name on the headstock
                      and also grover wanting to keep the jackson name from being tagged a cheapo import.
                      that was a crazy pont in c/j history.
                      typically these hybrids dont bring tons of money, but I truly believe one day they will be worth something becuase they are period specific guitars.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        But why did the LATE serial Start heads still have the Charvel logos if they were all used. Obviously they (Jackson) did not run out of Charvel logos - it is interesting that the LATE strat heads still bear a Charvel NOT Jackson logo and the LATE pointies bear a Jackson NOT Charvel logo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Tracy, I think that's probably a simple answer. There were different Charvel logos for stratheads vs. pointies. Towards the end of the run, you saw way more pointies produced than stratheads. Hence they ran out of pointy logos before they ran out of strathead logos. Remember this one...

http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/cha...-pics/5490.jpg

Obviously, they really did run out of Charvel logos. It probably just took them longer to get there with stratheads.

That's my theory, at least.

Comment

My friends pointy Charvel has a scaf joint in a different spot (high and up by the nut) than any SD Jackson I have ever seen. It is that way compared to my early SD bolt on Jackson as well (#1010).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

typically these hybrids dont bring tons of money, but I truly believe one day they will be worth something becuase they are period specific guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points John and agree if people like them they should grab them because you can get an EXCELLENT deal on them pricewise.
                            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Actually, Tracy, I think that's probably a simple answer. There were different Charvel logos for stratheads vs. pointies. Towards the end of the run, you saw way more pointies produced than stratheads. Hence they ran out of pointy logos before they ran out of strathead logos. Remember this one...

http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/cha...-pics/5490.jpg

Obviously, they really did run out of Charvel logos. It probably just took them longer to get there with stratheads.

That's my theory, at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible that they ran out fo the GOLD colored logos used on the pointys...most Strat Heads had black logos, possible. As John and others said these don't bring in good money so it is an excellent opportunity for someone do grab a great deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X