• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Late SD Charvels/Early SD Jacksons

[ QUOTE ]
    LOL!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point Chuck.
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      As John and others said these don't bring in good money so it is an excellent opportunity for someone do grab a great deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        LOL!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point Chuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          My friends pointy Charvel has a scaf joint in a different spot (high and up by the nut) than any SD Jackson I have ever seen. It is that way compared to my early SD bolt on Jackson as well (#1010).

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy may be able to answer this better but I beleive the scarf joint was moved to better accomodate the lock nut on the newer guitars. I think there was an issue with strength on the area and drilling through the neck to accomodate the floyd nut. If you notice you'll see more floyded guitars in the later yrs ..
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

agree Kev that is also my understanding. Because of this you see lower scarf joints on later (Jackson necks)
            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Tracy may be able to answer this better but I beleive the scarf joint was moved to better accomodate the lock nut on the newer guitars. I think there was an issue with strength on the area and drilling through the neck to accomodate the floyd nut. If you notice you'll see more floyded guitars in the later yrs ..

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes perfect sence to me, but I guess my point more is, are there any pointy Charvels that have the scaf joint in the same spot as the bolt on SD Jacksons? If not, then there IS a (albiet a small one) difference between Charvel pointys and SD bolt on Jacksons.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                To look at it from a purely collector stand point there are very few of the halfbreeds and over 1000 or so( who knows how any have survived) SD Jackson strats. By numbers alone these are much rarer than the SD Charvels, thus logic would dictate a higher resale value over their Charvel cousins. Reality is a clean unmodded one can barely clear what a heavily modded Charvel can pull in.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are great guitars - I don't think this is disputed. What this is however, is a terrific dispute of the theory that everything rare is worth more. This is simply not the case. Low production numbers does not automatically make something desirable, but it can make something that is desireable worth more.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes perfect sence to me, but I guess my point more is, are there any pointy Charvels that have the scaf joint in the same spot as the bolt on SD Jacksons? If not, then there IS a (albiet a small one) difference between Charvel pointys and SD bolt on Jacksons.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI: That scarf joint location was a moving target going way back. Kmanick and I noticed that his 83 Bengal has the "lower" joint location than my 83 2 Hum grey one even though both are original kalhered guitars and his was made like a month or 2 before mine.

As Bloodsplatter says, with Chavrels, there are no hard and fast rules.
                  "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Low production numbers does not automatically make something desirable, but it can make something that is desireable worth more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct but then why are these particular guitars less desired than SD Charvels?

Comment

It's all about that logo Brian,if it has a Jackson logo some will scorn it even though it is identical to any other Charvel!!& those little logos on the headstock make a huge difference in playability & sound ya know!!LOL!!

Comment

Chuck I hear you. I am one of those logo snobs. I think all of the famous charvel mojo is actually from the logo not the neckplate. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Now like RR05XX does anyone else think that the etched plated Charvels will suffer a similar fate in the future?
                        The B/W Bullseye reissues move as soon as one is up for sale. I think they will continue to be hot items colletor/player pieces simply because they are so acurrate to the originals.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          It's all about that logo Brian,if it has a Jackson logo some will scorn it even though it is identical to any other Charvel!!& those little logos on the headstock make a huge difference in playability & sound ya know!!LOL!!

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Disagree about the logo making a difference in playability and sound BUT I do KNOW unfortunately that the little logo makes a big difference in value and desirability.

But you guys that are into them are lucky and should be snapping these up...great deals to be had...if ya like them, grab them.

Comment

Before anyone jumps the gun. I do not own one of these so I am not trying to drive up the price for my personal gain. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Disagree about the logo making a difference in playability and sound BUT I do KNOW unfortunately that the little logo makes a big difference in value and desirability.

But you guys that are into them are lucky and should be snapping these up...great deals to be had...if ya like them, grab them.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!
                              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Also the SD Jackson strats are basiscally relogo'ed Charvels,

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying they had Charvel logos, but decided to put Jackson logos on afterwards? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Necks have the Jackson logo applied before the neckplate is even screwed in. = JACKSON NECK

Everyone wants their Jackson to be a Charvel... Just because someone at Jackson put a RR Serial on a Soloist doesn't make the soloist a Rhoads...

Besides, most of the LATE Charvel plated Jacksons were more likely to have a tone knob, which is something more likely found on a Jackson, and less likely on a Charvel.

I know everyone is splitting hairs here, but the neck plate is the last identifier placed on the guitar... so if someone accidentally put the wrong plate on, would not change what the guitar was built to be.... in this case, a Jackson.

Is it an arguement of semantics? Sure... Is there really a difference between SD Jackson bolt-ons and SD Charvel bolt-ons? Other than superficially, no. The only one thing I notice is that Charvels are more likely not to have a tone knob, while Jacksons were more likely to have one.

If you want, you can call your Charvel plated Jackson guitar a factory parts mutt, but Charvel it is not. The neck was logo'd Jackson before a serial number or plate type were even considered, which would make that a Jackson neck...
                                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X