Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone drawn a Jackson headstock in Autocad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone drawn a Jackson headstock in Autocad?

If so can I have a copy of the file? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: Has anyone drawn a Jackson headstock in Autocad?

Whatcha makin? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

Just foolin' around with some goofy ideas @ eMachineShop.com.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I've got a screenshot of one in CAD, but not the actual file. I think KM may be able to help you out, not sure tho.

Pat

Comment

I have one in mastercam but it can be saved in DXF format
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Kev that would be hugely helpful!

Comment

YGM @ your addy in your profile .. the headstock isn't scaled because I copied it over and scaled it for a set of bike pegs. The shape is dead on so all you will have to do is scale it .. lemme know if the file works ..
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

After snagging a DWG <---> DXF converter I've got it in a form that's perfect for what I'm doing. Many thanks Kev, I definitely owe you a few beers for this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

lol ..should have told me.. I could have done DWG,DXF,IGES etc ..

What are you up too with the model?

Comment

Increasing headstock mass tends to increase the sustain of an instrument, or so the theory goes. I'm thinking about getting a couple of overlays cut to test their effect and if those work out maybe attempting to order a custom with such an overlay installed.

If they'd build it, figure that replacing 3/16" of the typical 9/16" thickness of a Jackson headstock with a stainless overlay would increase the overall headstock mass by a factor of just under 6x. I can suck the DXF file into eMachineShop's CAD program, scale it, add the necessary features to allow it to actually be used for my purpose, specify material, finish, & machining options, and get a ballpark idea of the cost of the part w/o having to spend a half a day on the phone bugging anyone here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Increasing headstock mass tends to increase the sustain of an instrument, or so the theory goes. I'm thinking about getting a couple of overlays cut to test their effect and if those work out maybe attempting to order a custom with such an overlay installed.

If they'd build it, figure that replacing 3/16" of the typical 9/16" thickness of a Jackson headstock with a stainless overlay would increase the overall headstock mass by a factor of just under 6x. I can suck the DXF file into eMachineShop's CAD program, scale it, add the necessary features to allow it to actually be used for my purpose, specify material, finish, &amp; machining options, and get a ballpark idea of the cost of the part w/o having to spend a half a day on the phone bugging anyone here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it the old school way.. lynch still uses it to this day.. Cut a brass plate for behind the headstock .. He has one on his ESP serpent.. it matches the headstock so it isn't very noticible. I think Stainless steel might alter the tone too much ..

Comment

I thought about that but without counter-sinking the tuner bodies into the plate or sanding down the back of the headstock you're pretty limited in how thick you can go with the plate. Eyeballing a couple of my Jacksons, it looks to me like I could get a 1/16" plate in there fairly comfortably and maybe as much as 3/32" if I just barely catch the threads when I reinstall the tuners. I figure if I'm going to attempt this I might as well go for broke. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think the primary mechanism at work is the increased mass of the headstock rather than the other properties of the extra material attached thereto. You can get most of the effect by, for example, attaching a C-clamp to the headstock. Brass is a better choice than stainless because it’s more dense but if I can get this one done the way I want to do it stainless with be much better aesthetically. And I’ll have an excuse to order a second with brass….
                        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I think the primary mechanism at work is the increased mass of the headstock rather than the other properties of the extra material attached thereto. You can get most of the effect by, for example, attaching a C-clamp to the headstock. Brass is a better choice than stainless because it’s more dense but if I can get this one done the way I want to do it stainless with be much better aesthetically. And I’ll have an excuse to order a second with brass….
                          [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Brad, if it's just mass, that you're after, there is no reason to have to have the tuners going through the plate. You could just have a long "cutout" for the section of tuners and attach this directly to the back of the headstock. Possibly you might think it would look too "tacky" that way? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]</font>
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Re: Has anyone drawn a Jackson headstock in Autoca

Speaking of pegs.... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

Re: Has anyone drawn a Jackson headstock in Autoca

[ QUOTE ]
                              Speaking of pegs.... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

STFU [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X