Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never Owned A Jackson.............................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Owned A Jackson.............................

so, what should I expect? Might be ordering a Soloist but havent completely commited yet. I was in my 20s in the 80s when the Charvel/Jackson guitar was THE guitar to have but, I couldnt afford one then. I'm into alot of different types of music and for years played an Ibanez RG770 and have since played a USA Strat with a SD Custom-5 in the bridge position.

Whats all this mean? I've had too many cups of coffee.............it means I can get quite alot of different sounds out of that Strat and was wondering, will a Jackson Soloist with one hum and two singles do it for me? Oh yeah, I'm in the process of forming an 80s cover band so thats my reasoning in buying. Great forum and look forward to learning from those in the know. Dolan

Re: Never Owned A Jackson.............................

Welcome tot he forum Dolan. You have definitely come to the right place for Charvel Jackson info. While I don't personally own and SL1, I do have an 1988 Model 6 with the same pickup configuration and I must say it is probably the most versatile guitar I have in my collection. You won't be sorry with any SL1,SL2 or DK1's. They are all top notch quality. Also, the PC1 is set up with ssh with the sustainer system. It maybe something else to consider. Check them all out. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hey Dolan, welome! Dude, you wil be blown away by the SL1 (or anything else for that matter)! I was a die hard Ibanez RG faithful for 15 years, and then I played a Jackson. The SL1 should be very versatile, and if you need more, make sure you get a coil splitter. You can duplicate almost anything. Good luck with the purchase and the band!

Comment

You´ll love it. Can do anything, has classic looks that you´ll probably never get tired of, great qorkmanship and materials.....

Trust me, you´ll suddenly find yourself wanting one of each Jackson ever made [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          great qorkmanship and materials.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh Tim.....is that how they pronounce "WORKMANSHIP" in Germany? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] j/k bro......I couldn't resist!

Welcome to the board Dolan! A USA Jackson guitar will most likely change your whole perspective of what you think of playing guitar! These things practically play themselves!

Comment

Re: Never Owned A Jackson.........................

A SL1 is probably the most versatile guitar in the Jackson aresenal next to a PC1. Once you play a new one, you'll most likely be hooked.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the replys!! Just what I wanted to hear. Jacksons seem to be very well made guitars. Problem is I cant try before I buy where I live but I dont think I'm not going to like a Jackson. What is this "before Fender, after Fender" stuff? I take it Fender bought them out but, has this been for better or worse or is it just another wives tale?

Comment

After some minor issues, fender seems to be doing right by Jackson Charvel. While I have not played a newer soloist (I have a 2001 SL2H), the new Charvel pointies are faithful to the original San Dimas guitars (in all but a few minor causmetic details that most poeple would never notice, the biggest being schaller tuners instead of gotoh).
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Quality has slipped lately IMO.
                  Take a look at this thread.
                  http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#427385
                  IMO, the mid 80s to early 90s guitars are the best, quality wise.

Comment

Jackson guitars rule.
                    If you have been playin a RG770, maybe good idea to look for a used Jackson with similar specs such as 24frets, Bolt On,Floyd and so on.
                    How about 90's Dinky with 24frets?
                    They are cheaper on E-bay.
                    If not, buy a new Jackson from one of JCF online dealers.
                    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I was in my 20s in the 80s when the Charvel/Jackson guitar was THE guitar to have but, I couldnt afford one then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the same boat. However, after having up to $10K in six Gibsons, I'm welcoming the cheaper prices, and starting to realize the dream of owning a Jackson.

My first score was a "new" Jackson DK2. On ebay, they have these guitars without serial numbers, and they are stamped "USED" in the headstock, but are otherwise a new guitar (at least mine was - plastic protector on the truss rod cover and tuners - mint shape). For $285, you can't go wrong. I thought I was getting a good deal, but like anything, some went for even less, with a case. Patients is a virtue.

My next score was a "Professional Fusion". It was somewhat of a mis-guided auction from a pawn shop, but in the end it worked out good. This guitar has real MOP inlays, bound ebony fretboard, and MOP Jackson headstock (not a decal). This neck is a 24 3/4" scale like my Gibsons, and it ROCKS! It's on a Kelly body, and I'm getting to like this "unusual" body shape. This neck is thin too, which I LOVE! I buy specific Gibsons with thin necks, but this puts them all to shame. I've been told Fusion necks are some of Jackson's thinnest if that's what you are looking for. My DK2 is thicker, but still thinner than my Gibsons.

In all, I'm very pleased. And for the prices I'm paying, I'm on the hunt for a third Jackson.

Comment

I've been playing now for 40 years. In my 39th year, I bought my first Jackson. It was a 2004 SL1 Soloist. Why I never tried a Jackson I'll never know??? They are the best guitars out there for any style or budget IMHO. I also added a PC1 Solar recently and I'm in heaven now. My guitar collection collect's dust now. My new collections will consist of Jackson/Charvels only!!! Well maybe I'll get that Gibson Byrdland some day! Haa, Haa!
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                        X